Can someone explain the G Bugles?

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Take the best and strongest Bb Bugle sound from Blue Devils "Space Chords" or Carolina Crown (both of which, I truly love) and it won't get in your face  like the "Wall of Sound" put out by Spirit of Atlanta "Georgia on My Mind" 1980 (one of many examples) on a G bugle.  

How many fewer brass mm did Spirit have?

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

How many fewer brass mm did Spirit have?

BITD (late 70s-early 80s), 60-64 was a normal compliment of brass.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

BITD (late 70s-early 80s), 60-64 was a normal compliment of brass.

To compare those numbers to todays 72-80(?) and have more power to the ears of many is pretty dam good.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

You can't and in today's world it does not matter. 

Negative Ghost Rider; they are still being used.  Try "The Commandant's Own". 🇺🇸

I personally like both; the blend/tunability of the  Bb* & the sonority/tone/edge of the G**.  

*Carolina Crown (2012+)

**Spirit of ATL (1980)

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

Well if by G people mean 70s and by Bb meaning today..... Other than the way the horns were constructed there is something else to consider. BITD it was more “peel the paint” and go for volume or stir the crowds emotions. Since 80s corps went to more musical and NO overtones (we called it “blatting”). Have 79 and 80 DCI audio and can pick out rat, splat, let her blat on the final note for couple of corps. For last few decades it’s play with control (thank goodness).

Did alumni thing with 3v Gs and bunch of public school band directors. If you didn’t play with good tone you heard about it.  IMO the Gs today are just as musical as the Bbs(today). It’s all in how you play them

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 4/13/2021 at 2:28 PM, KeithHall said:

People still can't accept this change that happened along time ago? I mean, I accepted that the band Chicago only has three original members in it. The still play better music today much like drum corps is better today than yesterday!

The Wife got us VIP tix to see Chicago when they played in Atlanta on my Birthday a year or so ago. Got to go backstage for a meet and greet.

I saw them when they first started at a college concert MANY years ago. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference solely by sound.

The Son played G bugles with Racine and Bb with Crown. I think he likes the Bb better.

Otherwise, I'm staying out of this.

BUGLES and TRUMPETS

This may be timely, and of some interest:

The link above connects to video of portions of Prince Philip's funeral today.

If you scroll to 44:00 and listen to the next couple of minutes, you will hear a perfect example of the difference in timbres between bugles and trumpets.

Of course, you know a true bugle has a primarily conical bore while the trumpet is almost entirely cylindrical until the bell flare.

Traditionally, bugles were used to signal foot soldiers, sailors, and marines. The trumpets were reserved for heralding the comings and goings of royalty and mounted knights.

When these horns were used for communication, a listener would recognize the difference in tone and understand for whom the message was intended. Naturally, the calls themselves would also differ musically:

Infantry Bugles vs. Cavalry Trumpets

Here they are used ceremonially. The Duke of Edinburgh was a Navy veteran, but also a member of the Royal Family, so he gets both.

Incidentally, the key is irrelevant. There have been bugles and trumpets produced in all keys. These instruments have very long DNA chains.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

BUGLES and TRUMPETS

This may be timely, and of some interest:

The link above connects to video of portions of Prince Philip's funeral today.

If you scroll to 44:00 and listen to the next couple of minutes, you will hear a perfect example of the difference in timbres between bugles and trumpets.

Of course, you know a true bugle has a primarily conical bore while the trumpet is almost entirely cylindrical until the bell flare.

Traditionally, bugles were used to signal foot soldiers, sailors, and marines. The trumpets were reserved for heralding the comings and goings of royalty and mounted knights.

When these horns were used for communication, a listener would recognize the difference in tone and understand for whom the message was intended. Naturally, the calls themselves would also differ musically:

Infantry Bugles vs. Cavalry Trumpets

Here they are used ceremonially. The Duke of Edinburgh was a Navy veteran, but also a member of the Royal Family, so he gets both.

Incidentally, the key is irrelevant. There have been bugles and trumpets produced in all keys. These instruments have very long DNA chains.

Watching Prince Phillip's funeral so reminded me of the great British uniformed Drum Corps of the past; Kilts, Black Knights, Guardsmen, 27th, et al.  Felt nostalgic and nice to see some things don't change. 

they were evil. real bugles had no valves. oh then they added a valve. then the rotor stuff. then 2 valves. then 3!! oh god...adding contras! the earth was coming to an end!!!

Edited by Jeff Ream