Can someone explain the G Bugles?

Wonder what is the percentage of HS that own their own instruments outside of tuba and percussion. 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

I remember one reason for going Bb was resale value. IOW the corps could make a few bucks by selling to old horns to bands or whoever. No idea if that worked or not. Don’t see a market for these used

I remember my first year at Indy (I think) -- we had to find room for 8 mellos Jax State bought from a corps. I think we all travelled home with a horn in our laps. 

• Haha 2

Thank you which ever mod got my “note”....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m not so sure. Bands will want to use these used instruments for concert season as well as marching band and I am doubtful band directors will want a Bb soprano for the concert setting. 

not always. many programs have indoor and outdoor instruments.

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder what is the percentage of HS that own their own instruments outside of tuba and percussion. 

it depends on the tax base and booster programs

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I remember my first year at Indy (I think) -- we had to find room for 8 mellos Jax State bought from a corps. I think we all travelled home with a horn in our laps. 

The corps sold them to Jax State and provided them immediately at the very end of National Championships?

That was quick. 

I guess that saved on shipping costs. 

"Why didn't the mellos bring their instruments to retreat?  They were already sold."

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

The corps sold them to Jax State and provided them immediately at the very end of National Championships?

That was quick. 

I guess that saved on shipping costs. 

"Why didn't the mellos bring their instruments to retreat?  They were already sold."

We picked them up in the bus lot after retreat.

Not sure how the deal was worked out, but the JSU director knew my son marched and would be at Indy and asked if he'd get the horns. I don't recall the name of the Corps -- I want to say Bluecoats but prob wrong. 

Edit -- The Wife says Bloo. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
More info

This happens more often than you think.  Many instruments are pre-sold for immediate delivery after finals.  Some schools are close by and pick them up.  Sometimes a box truck loads the entire pit and drives to (Texas usually) deliver it immediately. 

Trumpets are about the only brass instrument that crosses over to indoor programs.  All of the others are used for outdoor only.  Strangely, trumpets are the hardest to sell.

22 minutes ago, supersop said:

This happens more often than you think.  Many instruments are pre-sold for immediate delivery after finals.  Some schools are close by and pick them up.  Sometimes a box truck loads the entire pit and drives to (Texas usually) deliver it immediately. 

Trumpets are about the only brass instrument that crosses over to indoor programs.  All of the others are used for outdoor only.  Strangely, trumpets are the hardest to sell.

And sometimes you get the reverse. When BAC did their Conquest show, Lawrence Twp built the big center prop and then loaned it BAC. Sunday after finals, Lawrence Twp loaded up the prop and used for their  Rumplestiltskin show. 

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And sometimes you get the reverse. When BAC did their Conquest show, Lawrence Twp built the big center prop and then loaned it BAC. Sunday after finals, Lawrence Twp loaded up the prop and used for their  Rumplestiltskin show. 

Rumplestiltskin - what an "imp'!  :devil:  :spitting:

• Haha 2