Can someone explain the G Bugles?

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they were evil. real bugles had no valves. oh then they added a valve. then the rotor stuff. then 2 valaces. then 3!! oh god...adding contras! the earth was coming to an end!!!

Those #### AL Post #76 Boys of 76 in Racine. Wanting to add a valve and be able to move it during competition. And that lousy excuse of “wanting to be more musical”. Look where it got us over 90 years later. 😈

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

they were evil. real bugles had no valves. oh then they added a valve. then the rotor stuff. then 2 valaces. then 3!! oh god...adding contras! the earth was coming to an end!!!

It's been a while so the passage of time may be affecting my memory, but didn't putting additional valves on bugles give them more flexibility when it came to arrangements?  I thought earlier versions of bugles tied the hands of arrangers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

As astute a description of the current state of affairs as there ever was. I can only agree, as noted here:

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2012/06/inside-the-arc-its-just-not-drum-corps-anymore/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

As astute a description of the current state of affairs as there ever was. I can only agree, as noted here:

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2012/06/inside-the-arc-its-just-not-drum-corps-anymore/

Oh great now I’ve got “The Muffin Man” stuck in my head 😆

5 hours ago, Continental said:

It's been a while so the passage of time may be affecting my memory, but didn't putting additional valves on bugles give them more flexibility when it came to arrangements?  I thought earlier versions of bugles tied the hands of arrangers. 

It certainly permiited more chromatic notes to be available. All of them once the third valve was added. The rotor in the valve/rotor horn was equal to the second valve, so once that was added most notes were available. Prior to the rotor a slipslide was used for the 2nd valve notes.

i played an Olds Ultratone valve/rotor bari in 1972 Garfield, my one year on horn.

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

It certainly permiited more chromatic notes to be available. All of them once the third valve was added. The rotor in the valve/rotor horn was equal to the second valve, so once that was added most notes were available. Prior to the rotor a slipslide was used for the 2nd valve notes.

i played an Olds Ultratone valve/rotor bari in 1972 Garfield, my one year on horn.

I had Olds Duratone (frosted/matte finish) p/r my 6 years. Can still remember two songs we had where there was “this” note for 2nd Bari that we just looked at each other and said “is that right?”. No idea if it should have been a note for 3rd valve or the note just sounded off for other reasons. If I listen to the recordings 40+ years later I can hear it and cringe.

Alumni corps horn instructor played p/r and after we all got 3v Gs, when he arranged he loved using the 3rd valve.... 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Continental said:

i was being sarcastic. i'm a drummer

Here's something else to consider. Brass manufacturers won't make a lot of money making G horns due to the small amount of corps today. They can make more money by making Bb...more high school and college bands by far!

Day Hanover replaced my 2v with a 3v I got to show my smart aleck side. Asked the horn instructor (also played piston/rotor BITD):

“So if first valve is right thumb and second valve is left thumb... what thumb is 3rd valve?”

oooh did I get a look 😨

History lesson... the first valve was horizontal because when the horn was held the audience couldn’t see it behind the hand. Source: 1930s Ludwig DC manual

Edited by JimF-LowBari