Let's pretend this happened.....what do you think would happen in

Why do people keep insisting that the G horns would be "louder" than the Bb horns? Is there something about the physics of their construction that makes this so? In all of the research I have done (somewhat limited) I have flund nothing about the basic construction of these instruments that would suggest Bb or G is louder than the other.

From Kanstul's line of marching instruments, here are some specs:

BbTrumpet: .470 Bore with a 5 1/16 inch bell

G Soprano Bugle: .470 bore witha 5 inch bell

What is supposed to be making that G bugle sound so much louder??? Is it less tubing (since it is in G instead of Bb)??

Help please with the physics of this "G is louder" assertion.

G bugles have a slightly "brighter" sound to them, which makes them seem louder even if (from a decibels standpoint), the volume is actually the same.

The guys playing contras/sopranos pull all the chicks after the gig, because "contra bass" and "soprano" is 100X cooler and sexier than "tuba" and "trumpet"...

• Like 4

You can only do so much if you aren't from the time period, but, here's Empire Statesman at their premier show I think. Even with the crappy cell recording, considering the age and size of their corps (not full size), you can hear how loud the horn is. Put them in Carolina Crown's hands. Yeah, that will be loud. Better yet - put them in Phantom or Madisons or BD's.

You can only do so much if you aren't from the time period, but, here's Empire Statesman at their premier show I think. Even with the crappy cell recording, considering the age and size of their corps (not full size), you can hear how loud the horn is. Put them in Carolina Crown's hands. Yeah, that will be loud. Better yet - put them in Phantom or Madisons or BD's.

Is it G or style of play?????

PS - Can't get YT here but have seen ES enough to know their style...... And thinking back to DCA last year I'd say Hurrcs and Kidsgrove matched ES volume wise but don't know their key and that's depending on my memory (ask me in 3 weeks :cool: ).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Is it G or style of play?????

PS - Can't get YT here but have seen ES enough to know their style......

Is Resees good because of the chocolate or the peanut butter. The oreo because of the cream or the cookie. ES came to mind first so I grabbed it. Took 30 seconds. Unless somebody puts the G horn to their lips and blows air through it, it's just plumbing.

Is Resees good because of the chocolate or the peanut butter. The oreo because of the cream or the cookie. ES came to mind first so I grabbed it. Took 30 seconds. Unless somebody puts the G horn to their lips and blows air through it, it's just plumbing.

My question/point is "If ES would go to Bb and play the same style would the volume be different?".

Don't know the real answer, just bringing it up......

I marched in that line...for a rehearsal or two. Couldn't do DCA this summer though.

And we were certainly louder in 2010. And yes, on G bugles then, and still now. Be kind of silly to buy new horns for the corps' last year.

I'm borrowing this thought from another DCP member's post. A corps (pick whoever you want, the poster said Troopers), comes out and performs on G bugles. What happens in the stands?

After having more time to consider, I have an answer.

The crowd would cheer. Especially during the sunburst.

Edited by mingusmonk

Here's what would happen: the audience would applaud, just like any other show. The kids would exit the field tired and elated. The world would still be an ok place.

Maybe a few musically trained people would notice a sacrifice in tone quality. Look at how far brass pedagogy in the marching arena has come in the last 30 years. Winning corps from back then sound like chainsaws compared to many of the middle-of-the-pack corps today. To compare the tone of the 2013 Troopers to that of their hayday is ludicrous. I'm sure the modern kids could play that loud, too, if they ignored what their current brass staff said about sound production. :)

The biggest surprise of a corps marching G bugles in 2014 would be the time paradox, since someone would have clearly figured out a way to gun their Delorian to 88mph. Gs are dead and will be forever. When can we let this kind of topic be equally as dead?

Full disclosure--I marched multiple years on G and multiple years on 2 different kinds of Bb. You couldn't pay me enough to ever marching one of those god-foresaken G contras ever again. **shudders**

• Like 3