Let's pretend this happened.....what do you think would happen in

There aren't many "discarded" G horns left that have much life left in them...wouldn't be a great investment in the future even if they were cheap...and God forbid you (or anyone else) is the person responsible for keeping them in playing condition. That would be a job akin to having to teach me how to pirouette.

In 2000, I did not notice the difference between Cadets' and Cavaliers' horn line quality while viewing them live. Cadets had B-flat horns and Cavaliers still had G. When I received the CDs, minus the visual stimuli, I was stunned. The difference in clarity between the two B-flat lines—Cadets and Blue Devils—and the remaining G lines was astounding. At that point, I called a director friend of mine and told him I hoped he was planning on making the switch, because once a brass judge closes their eyes to shut out everything else and focuses specifically on the quality of sound...it's all over.

For once I gotta disagree with you.

I sat at Finals in 2000 and could clearly hear a bright, pinched sound from Cadets compared to the Cavies (in addition to not hearing Cadets finish any phrases in their closer on the cd recordings)...and this from a guy who normally hated the Cavies.

BD, on the other hand, was truly a step up on the Bb and should have won brass in 2000 (and Cadets should have won brass in 2001).

I felt bad about it...after all, you gave me water in the Indy 500 parade during the Star Alumni performance in 2004...thanks again!!

Ah, when "The Star of Indiana Drum Corpse" was playing "Henry Vee."

There better be people ready to catch those babies.............

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm thinking they're blown away with the volume. Huh? You guys that posted before - are you from the G era or not? Be honest.

Totally agree!!! The volume alone would blow people out of the stands on the G bugles!!!

Lower pitch, longer soundwaves, better projection.

Also, Kanstul G bugles as well as Kanstul Bb/F marching brass are built better and resonate better.

What evidence do you have that lines in G play "lower" on average, with longer soundwaves? The horns may be in a lower key, but the absolute pitch is about the same. G hornlines play in C, D, and G a lot, whereas Bb Horns play in Bb, Eb, F, and Ab a lot. If anything, corps playing on G horns actually play HIGHER relative to the key of their instrument, since their tonic / lowest overtone is a minor third lower.

In other words, its way easier to play a high C on a sop than on a trumpet...because its actually a lower note on the sop. I realize almost everyone here knows that, but still....