What's the furthest a DCI Champ fell after winning?

That was a really cool part. With the intro from the year before, plus the singing was an awesome intro. I wonder if it got cut because of time problems, or because judges said it didn't work?

I remember the show being controversial because of the singer, but I don't know why the change was made.

The new intro also cut out part of White Rabbit which was another part of the show I liked.

• Like 1

Regiment 2008: 1st overall

Vis GE 19.6 2nd

Vis Perf 19.6 3rd

Vis Ens 19.4 4th

Guard 19.2 4th

Regiment 2009: 9th overall

Vis GE 17,25 11th

Vis Perf 18.5 7th

Vis Ens 18.0 9th

Guard 17.3 10th

This extreme drop in visual was across the board, drill, chirography, execution, guard, all combined. This shows that many on the staff, from the entire visual design team to the visual/guard caption heads to the visual/guard techs, were all partly at fault. However, the drill designer is the only one who really got blamed for all aspects and subsequently got canned in the process. Can someone please explain that?

Vis GE 19.6 2nd

Vis Perf 19.6 3rd

Vis Ens 19.4 4th

Guard 19.2 4th

Vis GE 17,25 11th

Vis Perf 18.5 7th

Vis Ens 18.0 9th

Guard 17.3 10th

This extreme drop in visual was across the board, drill, chirography, execution, guard, all combined. This shows that many on the staff, from the entire visual design team to the visual/guard caption heads to the visual/guard techs, were all partly at fault. However, the drill designer is the only one who really got blamed for all aspects and subsequently got canned in the process. Can someone please explain that?

Not true. The departure of the 2008 guard designer is also often cited as a factor.

Wasn't it due to the fact that once the season started, a significant amount of time was spent changing the drill, meaning there was less time to clean the show?

However, the drill designer is the only one who really got blamed for all aspects and subsequently got canned in the process.

Isn't there some sort of a review process where the drill is presented to the caption heads - or at least while it's being designed, the other caption heads have input on some of the elements?

Vis GE 19.6 2nd

Vis Perf 19.6 3rd

Vis Ens 19.4 4th

Guard 19.2 4th

Vis GE 17,25 11th

Vis Perf 18.5 7th

Vis Ens 18.0 9th

Guard 17.3 10th

My unpopular opinion: They scored way too high in the visual captions in 2008 to begin with :ph34r:

I had no idea about Madison's 6th-1st-7th rollercoaster. What a ride! Any explanations for that? Show, staff, members, etc.?

• Like 3

This is probably bound to be an unpopular opinion, but the OP's joke may have some merit. I have zero expectation that Crown will gain another championship next season. This year was the result of considerable planning, effort, and long-term building, resulting in a corps at the apex of their art last week. Carrying that same organizational momentum into the next year requires a different skill set and energy from what it took to arrive there in the first place. They'll be top 6, and deservedly so, but as a fan I wouldn't be put out, or feel they were somehow robbed, if they didn't medal. They are an amazing corps, and an example for other groups to emulate.

On that subject, the corps that should follow their lead are taking note of the lessons learned, and they're a'comin. I'd be made very happy if, over the next ten years, we see Vanguard, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, and Scouts medal and win - probably in that order, with the regular Blue Devils and Cadets wins mixed in. Yes, I recognize that some of these groups have won titles - one very recently - but I'm not sure Regiment 08 was something they actually expected to have happen for them at the beginning of that season. Crown, on the other hand, was very obviously gunning for it before they even contracted the corps.

Phantom 2009 is a very musically under-appreciated show, IMO. No question, the show was a visual disaster. Musically, everything but the middle section is quite solid. The Philip Wilby "Paganini Variations" is a great piece. The show gets regular play on my iPod, but I rarely watch it.

It's sad. With a better designed show they could have been in contention for another medal that year. The percussion was just as solid as the year before, and that hornline probably could have won the Jim Ott.

I think it just took the staff too long to realize that show was not going to work. All those rewrites slowed them down

Edited by poprocks

2009 Phantom was indeed a great show, but suffered an impossible comparison

with the year before, in that Spartacus was such a brilliantly designed and executed

program. Another factor (and it does happen quite often) is that you had a competitive field of so many drastically improving corps around them. But in the big picture, 2009 Phantom

holds up as a great show. I would be remiss however, if I didn't admit at least a small amount of relief felt on my part at their 2009 placement, because finally, after 20 years, the 1989 Madison Scouts (my rookie year) no longer held the distinction of taking the biggest fall after winning a title! But seriously, I feel both shows - ours and Phantom's - were well designed and performed, just not quite staying competitive with the great

Corps around us those years. Most importantly though, I hope Phantom ties us for the 2nd highest jump to a title going into 2014 (6th to 1st)...or better yet, we set a new record

for the highest jump to a title (9th to 1st)! :thumbup:

2009 Phantom was indeed a great show, but suffered an impossible comparison

with the year before, in that Spartacus was such a brilliantly designed and executed

program. Another factor (and it does happen quite often) is that you had a competitive field of so many drastically improving corps around them. But in the big picture, 2009 Phantom

holds up as a great show. I would be remiss however, if I didn't admit at least a small amount of relief felt on my part at their 2009 placement, because finally, after 20 years, the 1989 Madison Scouts (my rookie year) no longer held the distinction of taking the biggest fall after winning a title! But seriously, I feel both shows - ours and Phantom's - were well designed and performed, just not quite staying competitive with the great

Corps around us those years. Most importantly though, I hope Phantom ties us for the 2nd highest jump to a title going into 2014 (6th to 1st)...or better yet, we set a new record

for the highest jump to a title (9th to 1st)! :thumbup:/>

I've always love the '89 show. That hornline was killer (oh, the sops!!!). Remains in regular rotation in my car...

...and we loved beating you in pushball at DCM... :cool:

Star '89

• Like 1