What's the furthest a DCI Champ fell after winning?

"How about compared to other titleists who won after a long drought (i.e., no titles in any of the prior five seasons)?"

One more to consider:

97.26 Santa Clara Vanguard, 1989 (2.2)

"How about compared to other titleists who won after a long drought (i.e., no titles in any of the prior five seasons)?"

One more to consider:

97.26 Santa Clara Vanguard, 1989 (2.2)

I didn't want to put SCV on there twice, so I used the more recent one. I left off 88 Scouts because their prior five seasons crosses over into the tick era and a different judging concept.

I feel that the push was a long-term investment with a goal in mind. I do not know the inner workings of their executive organization, but I would be gobsmacked if this season wasn't the end result of a 5-year plan or something similar. They reached their long-term goal, so, what now? Will they do it again? Or will they take a breath, and repeat the cycle? I'll be the first to admit to you that this is all conjecture, and I could be wrong - but not only do I expect a drop (but still top 6), I think they would probably agree with me.

I don't care how many "5 year plans" you write and execute. Until you get the right design team and the right instructional staff none of it will come to fruition. And there's no magic recipe to make that happen. It's largely a matter of trial and error.

At Crown, it's pretty clear when the core design team started putting the pieces together. In the 5 years leading up to 2009 they kept setting the bar higher in design and instruction. 2009 was a winning design but the visual never got quite clean enough. All the other pieces were in place. Each subsequent year the corps itself was perfectly capable of winning DCI. So I think your theory is pretty much flattened by those years. They were each largely like 2009. Small changes made here and there. IMO what took 2013 over the top was the great coordination throughout the production. Even in spring training it was quite apparent that every designed moment in this show clicked from start to finish.

To me (at least) the question isn't whether Crown will continue be in the upper echelon. The question is: can they repeat that design process and crank out another winner. Because they've clearly got all the other contributing factors figured out.

And how long can they keep that team together?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

It was more than just design issues; PR 2009 placed 9th in visual performance and 7th in music performance.

6th in brass, 7th in music ensemble, and 5th in percussion. They were 7th overall in music, but they were as close to 3rd place as they were to 9th in music. A few more tenths and that's a Top 5 or Top 4 music program. Considering they were 9th in Music GE with that, I'd say the design issues FAR outweighed the performance issues.

• Like 1

It was more than just design issues; PR 2009 placed 9th in visual performance and 7th in music performance.

Peace,

Fred O.

That's not completely on the players though. A bad design will make the performance sink. If you've re-written half of your drill the day before, it's not going to be performed well, and you can't play the music as well if you're trying to remember which 30 sets got changed that morning. They weren't pushing for a brass or percussion title, but that falls a lot on the design more than the players.

To the OP and to the best of my calculations, about 3 1/2 feet, presuming they went all the way down and not to just one knee. Also, some corps have some exceptionally short marching members; the number of short MM's has a direct impact on the answer to your question and is greatly offset by the number of exceptionally tall MM's (I'm thinking SCV's contra line here).

tongue.gif/>

Edited by garfield

I've always love the '89 show. That hornline was killer (oh, the sops!!!). Remains in regular rotation in my car...

...and we loved beating you in pushball at DCM... :cool:/>

Star '89

I enjoyed both of your corps that year... Gail made us watch you out West after stating that you would beat us that night... so we stared at you in wonderment from the end zone. :thumbup:

To the OP and to the best of my calculations, about 3 1/2 feet, presuming they went all the way down and not to just one knee. Also, some corps have some exceptionally short marching members; the number of short MM's has a direct impact on the answer to your question and is greatly offset by the number of exceptionally tall MM's (I'm thinking SCV's contra line here).

tongue.gif/>

Like your thinking, Garfield... just think if the Bridgemen had won... they went down completely flat. :tongue:

• Like 1

1973 7 79.400

1974 20 73.500

1975 4 88.050

^Look at that 27th Lancers craziness

• Like 1