New York Skyliners Alumni Prepare for the 2014 Anniversary Season

cvayda

Written by Charles Vayda, Public Relations, NY Skyliners Alumni (Aug 5, 2013)

In 2014, the New York Skyliners Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps will be celebrating their 20th Anniversary. Founded in 1994 by a handful of alumni and friends, the mission of the corps is to preserve the musical and entertainment legacy of the New York Skyliners Drum & Bugle Corps as it existed from its inception in 1945, and to foster the interest and encourage the participation in this uniquely American art form.

The first parades were the Memorial Day parades in Garfield and Lodi in 1994/1995 with a dozen horns and 4 drums outfitted in red golf shirts, black pants, and baseball caps. 1996/1997 saw the first GAS performance, more parades, and other indoor appearances as the corps continued to grow. On Sept 5 1998, in 105 degrees in Allentown PA, the then 70-man horn line put on an exhibition at the DCA World Championships playing a host of well known, old favorites. In 2000, at the DCA Alumni Spectacular in Syracuse NY, a facsimile of the full uniform worn by the competition corps was unveiled. The white bucks returned at the 2003 Alumni Spectacular in Scranton PA.

Together with WDCHoF Carl Ruocco as Show Coordinator, the music committee has put together an exciting new program for the 2014 anniversary season. With the exception of SKY's famous encore piece – "ELK's Parade", the corps will be learning an entire new musical book – spanning the gamut of old favorites, the later years, and for the first time, new music never performed by the NY Skyliners! Arrangements are currently underway in preparation for fall rehearsals. Stay tuned for further announcements outlining the details of the program.

The Skyliners Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is co-sponsored by AL Post 1523 Staten Island NY and VFW Post 4591 Hasbrouck Heights NJ. Rehearsals are held at VFW MEMORIAL POST 4591, 513 VETERANS PLACE, HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ. The corps is seeking former members as well as anyone interested in being a part of this tradition, in all sections – brass, percussion, color guard, and honor guard.

For more information, please visit our website at http://www.skyalumni.org/ or contact our

corps Director Rich Evans at skyalumdirector@hotmail.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first parades were the Memorial Day parades in Garfield and Lodi in 1994/1995 with a dozen horns and 4 drums outfitted in red golf shirts, black pants, and baseball caps. 1996/1997 saw the first GAS performance, more parades, and other indoor appearances as the corps continued to grow. On Sept 5 1998, in 105 degrees in Allentown PA, the then 70-man horn line put on an exhibition at the DCA World Championships playing a host of well known, old favorites.

Hey Darth,

I thought the very first parade was in South Amboy? I remember that for two reasons. The first is that Tommy Swan ( prayers ) got us the parade and the second is I dropped my brand new mouthpiece Stork LT10 in the street and remember thinking that's what I get for helping out! I was also in line for that DCA exhibition in 1998 at the World Championships. What a lead line!! Joe Dafig, Bob Farrell, Johnny G, Tommy Keegan, Joe C, yourself, me and I know there were others. Was Bobby Burke, Grass or Sidemouth there?

Having Carl putting the show together is a fabulous move - please forgive me if I missed a fact such as that Carl has been doing it for years - I've been exiled to Texas for work.

Great show/staff coordinator - great Skyliner. Loved to compete against him when Sky was my favorite corps to beat. (which was no easy task)

• 2 weeks later...