Sad News from Music City

As someone who served on the board of directors for a World Class corps that fairly recently went inactive (while I was on the board- I had to help make that decision) let me offer my perspective. I don't believe the G7 have anything to do with it, the more corps that go inactive and the more the activity shrinks, the more strained and insignificant drum corps becomes and the less relevant everyone is. Most the G7 corps have deep roots in their communities, and have been operating as a highly visible non-profit youth serving organization in their communities going back years and years to when drum corps were all just small groups of local kids. G7 corps have powerful boards, they are tapped in to the local Rotary Club, and they often have established means of fundraising due to lots of community connections. Their high profile and years of competitive excellence lead to equipment manufactures fighting for them to use their equipment, and command the highest performance fees because those corps pull in the majority of the audience. Also, most of the G7 corps have highly professional business people operating the corps behind the scenes, and have very well thought out business plans. Even with all that going for them, most the "big boys" run on a surprisingly thin margin- razor thin in many cases.

Music City and other corps like them, corps fighting to get to World Class, or corps in the bottom of the World Class heap, have the most difficult time. The current touring model places a lot of financial stress on all corps- the amount of money simply to get the corps down the road is insane. Bottom placing corps and World Champion corps pay the same for gas, and the same for food. Fixed costs associated with touring are brutal on all corps, especially the ones without as much community support. Drum corps have a very difficult time funding year to year activity with operations alone (tour fees and appearance fees). The math simply doesn't work out- unless members pay even more than the huge fees they do now, or audiences pay even more for shows (already pushing the envelope for ticket prices as it is) corps just can't stay ahead on operational income alone. Unless a corps has some serious community support, an amazing business plan, and some sort of steady cash flow for outside, it is very, very difficult to make it. Couple that with the fact that corps no longer hold many assets- they don't "own" anything anymore, save for a trailer, souvie trailer, cook truck, and assorted small vehicles. Due to high costs of ownership, most corps lease buses. Just about all equipment is bought/sold off the truck at the end of the season for a financial wash. Thus, at the end of the season, the corps has very little liquid assets. Not much to leverage, and very little cash flow.

So, my .02 is that it is not some evil G7 conspiracy or anything. All those corps directors feel the sting of a shrinking activity just like everyone else. Its not about people's desire to "dominate" or eliminate the competition. If you are the only one left in the race, than why would it mean anything to finish first? For all corps to survive (G7 included), a healthy activity with lots of corps benefits everyone. The current touring model, the difficulty for corps to contend with other charitable non-profits for grants and public dollars, and high cost of doing business is what does corps in. I know- I've lived it.

Please explain to the masses why (since at least 2000) there have been no more than 24 World Class Corps? The activity needs to grow yes? How does that happen if the rich get richer and the rest fade into the darkness?

• Like 1

This is why I was wondering if DCI did it like BOA......regionals on weekends then championships. With online presentations they can still stream and the fans would flock to regionals....maybe??? This saves corps money on buses, travel, food, expenses. DCI saves. Regionals get more important. Demand increases from fans. New corps can enter the game financially. I could be wrong about all this but I'm thinking out loud.

BOA bands have other competitive opportunities in their local areas is one difference. Just holding regionals and champs? What would the corps do for the rest of the season? What about the show sponsors? Would members want to join a corps if they were only competing 4 or 5 times a year? What do they do the rest of the time, and you still need to house the members.

This is why I was wondering if DCI did it like BOA......regionals on weekends then championships. With online presentations they can still stream and the fans would flock to regionals....maybe??? This saves corps money on buses, travel, food, expenses. DCI saves. Regionals get more important. Demand increases from fans. New corps can enter the game financially. I could be wrong about all this but I'm thinking out loud.

Well, there's already a circuit that does that...DCA.

• Like 4

1376629976[/url]' post='3313111']

BOA bands have other competitive opportunities in their local areas is one difference. Just holding regionals and champs? What would the corps do for the rest of the season? What about the show sponsors? Would members want to join a corps if they were only competing 4 or 5 times a year? What do they do the rest of the time, and you still need to house the members.

Summer camp, community performances, team building activities, section talent shows, guest master classes, so much.......

• Like 1

1376634385[/url]' post='3313132']

Lol, you've never been to a DCA show, have you?

No. But i see the stands in the videos and kids i doubt know a dca corps versus blue devils crown phantom madison etc. its not the best. Kids in that age group want dci over dca. Id bet whatever dollar amount you want a poll would agree with that

• Like 2

No. But i see the stands in the videos and kids i doubt know a dca corps versus blue devils crown phantom madison etc. its not the best. Kids in that age group want dci over dca. Id bet whatever dollar amount you want a poll would agree with that

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one said anything about a DCA corps competing against the Blue Devils. But you'd be shocked at just how competitive DCA is, and how good the corps are, particularly at the top. DCA is FULL of kids, kids that want the drum corps experience without the tour. It's EXACTLY what was proposed above.

Do you even realize we're discussing the folding of a DCI Open Class corps? Not a World Class corps.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 5

1376634994[/url]' post='3313137']

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one said anything about a DCA corps competing against the Blue Devils. But you'd be shocked at just how competitive DCA is, and how good the corps are, particularly at the top. DCA is FULL of kids, kids that want the drum corps experience without the tour. It's EXACTLY what was proposed above.

Do you even realize we're discussing the folding of a DCI Open Class corps? Not a World Class corps.

I read some of your recent posts. You seem like a know it all who attacks peoples opinions that dont agree with you. Ask any kid in hs band if hecwould rather tour and see crown cadets bd phantom scv or empire reading minnesota.....id argue they would prefer world class dci then dc whatever. Kids want their level to see and compete.... Not some all age that they never heard of or saw on tv and is not even close to dci caliber. What dca corps would make finals. None.

• Like 6