Music City Folds

In the columbians we had an all in fee of 588.00 for the year. We did 4 shows and ended in the black. Starting on the 2014 season now

Music City's fees were already $2,000 in 2013.

http://www.musiccitydrumcorps.org/default2.aspx?p=membership

Holy cow. And Hoster called that keeping the fees low????

Holy cow. And Hoster called that keeping the fees low????

I was under the impression they were more around $1,000. That surprised me.

"The challenge going forward is the money and effort required to sustain a corps in the current format."

This says to me that they cannot survive in the current DCI Open Class, with its lack of performance fees and total lack of exposure. When you compare most of the full time OC corps revenues (100K - 200K), to the WC corps revenues (600K - 3M), it is not hard to see the impact of these issues on operations and survivability.

I wonder if there's any hope of them reforming as a feeder corps for a local World-Class like SOA or Crown. I know World-Class corps have their money issues as well, but looking at the OC cadet programs from BD and SCV that seems to be a viable way to go (i.e., treat Open class as a minor league/feeder organization for the WC corps). Not sure how the finances or organization would work but wondering if something like that would be a good way to go.

Of course that might lead to a Cadet3 corps and I'm not sure anyone wants to contemplate that!

This really irks me...how can they charge $2,000 a season, have over $200,000 in revenue, plus the donations they get, and still not be able to compete? Did they think they needed to tour 8 weeks to be competitive? There's no way they should be folding. Bad money management.

Where was DCI on this? They really need to hire some kind of auditor who goes around and reviews all the corps' income, expenses, and travel plans.

To me this was their fault. They should have made sure this stuff doesn't keep happening.

I'm sure what the director meant was that they "couldn't continue to bring in enough money to field a corps and pay me enough at the same time"

Now I have no pipe dream plans to start a drum corps but I imagine that if I did, I would be living on bread and butter and soup for a while.

These drum corps need people who know how to stretch a penny like no one's business.

How many more corps foldings is it going to take before DCI gets their hands involved? Too many corps have folded. Magic, Capital Regiment, Memphis Sound, Impulse, Kiwanis Kavs, Southwind, just to name a few. I thought that the Glassmen having some money issues was a big red herring. What an embarrassment for DCI. And to think of all the kids that put everything they had into it. Oh well, I guess one good thing is that the talent will be a little bit more consolidated, maybe the quality of shows will go up a notch. I had high hopes for Music City.

End of rant.

• Like 1

This really irks me...how can they charge $2,000 a season, have over $200,000 in revenue, plus the donations they get, and still not be able to compete? Did they think they needed to tour 8 weeks to be competitive? There's no way they should be folding. Bad money management.

Where was DCI on this? They really need to hire some kind of auditor who goes around and reviews all the corps' income, expenses, and travel plans.

To me this was their fault. They should have made sure this stuff doesn't keep happening.

I'm sure what the director meant was that they "couldn't continue to bring in enough money to field a corps and pay me enough at the same time"

Now I have no pipe dream plans to start a drum corps but I imagine that if I did, I would be living on bread and butter and soup for a while.

These drum corps need people who know how to stretch a penny like no one's business.

How many more corps foldings is it going to take before DCI gets their hands involved? Too many corps have folded. Magic, Capital Regiment, Memphis Sound, Impulse, Kiwanis Kavs, Southwind, just to name a few. I thought that the Glassmen having some money issues was a big red herring. What an embarrassment for DCI. And to think of all the kids that put everything they had into it. Oh well, I guess one good thing is that the talent will be a little bit more consolidated, maybe the quality of shows will go up a notch. I had high hopes for Music City.

End of rant.

Unfortunately, DCI does NOT care about Open Class, period. If you think DCI wants to get involved with Open Class and help out, like they do WC, you are so wrong!!!!!

Very sad indeed to see another corps fold, but they have to do what they have to do.

• Like 1