Music City Folds

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Music City and have no inside information.

That said, I know one of the cornerstones of the Music City organization has been keeping fees low and affordable. I think it just reached a point where they realized that fundraising by itself was simply not enough to continue fielding a corps, and the directors of the organization refused to push that projected shortfall back on the kids in terms of higher membership fees in future seasons.

What fundraising?

I believe you mentioned earlier about feeder corps and talked about Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets. Unfortunately, neither of those corps serve as feeder groups. Amongst them both, only about 5-10% of their members are even given consideration for moving up - despite what they publically proclaim.

Sorry but you are wrong on this one.

Edited by West Coast

Maybe it was about money ! maybe it was also a bit about being scored lower than some corps that were one third their size. After driving this years tour, It was clear that only about 20% of the crowd even know or care about the scores.

One show, more time was spent trumpeting the drawing of a $150.00 fifty/fifty winner, or trying to find him/her. by the time they actually got to the scores, a good sized crowd had departed, and only friends and family remained in the stands..

Maybe it was about money!

Indeed; that's what the Music City exec. director said in another thread.

Maybe it was also a bit about being scored lower than some corps that were one third their size.

I'm not sure about that: Music City was beaten this year by just four Open Class corps (Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets, Genesis and Spartans), all of whom are near in size to them--the smallest, Spartans, was about 80% the size of Music City. (None of the World Class corps that beat M.C. at W.C. Prelims/Semis were small, either.)

After driving this year's tour, it was clear that only about 20% of the crowd even know or care about the scores.

Perhaps not so clear (see below), and if this were true, how does that affect your argument above?

One show, more time was spent trumpeting the drawing of a $150.00 fifty/fifty winner, or trying to find him/her. By the time they actually got to the scores, a good sized crowd had departed, and only friends and family remained in the stands.

Many people look up the scores when they get home.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

What fundraising?

And that question says a lot to me.

What successful organization doesn't do fundraising behind the scenes? Even small non-profits will apply for grants, solicit funds on site, and put even a modicum of effort into gaining residual funds.

If there wasn't anything besides membership soliciting for sponsors to cover their individual dues, then the administration wasn't showing proper foresight into maintaining the organization.

I go back to what I mentioned in the other thread. Why not run a show with the other southern corps? You could have invited the DCA corps, had a local group lay the Banner, etc. Why not solicit the unit out to play at local functions during the summer? Send the hornline out during the winter camps to play. Car washes, service projects, something to keep the name out there showing that it's worth supporting...

Edited by Toby
  • Like 1

I believe you mentioned earlier about feeder corps and talked about Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets. Unfortunately, neither of those corps serve as feeder groups. Amongst them both, only about 5-10% of their members are even given consideration for moving up - despite what they publically proclaim.

Sorry but you are wrong on this one.

Maybe over at BDB, but Cadet Corps has a much higher percentage than that. Not everyone wants to move up or auditions, but amongst those that do, the percentage is pretty high. They're trained in the exact same techniques the A corps uses in order to make the transition easier.

And that question says a lot to me.

What successful organization doesn't do fundraising behind the scenes? Even small non-profits will apply for grants, solicit funds on site, and put even a modicum of effort into gaining residual funds.

If there wasn't anything besides membership soliciting for sponsors to cover their individual dues, then the administration wasn't showing proper foresight into maintaining the organization.

I go back to what I mentioned in the other thread. Why not run a show with the other southern corps? You could have invited the DCA corps, had a local group lay the Banner, etc. Why not solicit the unit out to play at local functions during the summer? Send the hornline out during the winter camps to play. Car washes, service projects, something to keep the name out there showing that it's worth supporting...

See, that all makes perfect sense. Souvenir sales, bingo, and the plethora of other fundraising opportunities that exist out there would be great. If someone starts an organization but wants to have total control over every facet of that organization, what's the best way to do that? It all comes down to financials. If you hold the purse strings, no one can really argue with you, say, if you wanted to micromanage ever part of the process. If you were spending your own money to remain solvent every year, you hold the highest trump card, right?

Sounds like a terrible way to run an organization.....

This is very sad news. Music City put on a really good show this season. The unfortunate thing is that the way in which non-profits are allowed to raise money can be different from state to state. The regulations in Tennessee are very challenging for any new non-profit trying to raise through bingo due to pressure placed on the legislature by religious organizations.

I hope Music City is able to come back at some point with an improved financial model.

Indeed; that's what the Music City exec. director said in another thread.

I'm not sure about that: Music City was beaten this year by just four Open Class corps (Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets, Genesis and Spartans), all of whom are near in size to them--the smallest, Spartans, was about 80% the size of Music City. (None of the World Class corps that beat M.C. at W.C. Prelims/Semis were small, either.)

Perhaps not so clear (see below), and if this were true, how does that affect your argument above?

Many people look up the scores when they get home.

80% of the fans do not care about the scores (at shows across the country) It was entertainment value ! Indianapolis they do .. Corps and directors care very much about the scores.