Glassmen News?

Here's an idea.....

There are several knowledgable individuals on DCP that can probably run the Glassmen. There are the money and leadership people who are on DCP, telling us "the right way to run a corp," that could probably take them to the top. I won't mention names but, there are a few.

This is all too true. I wish I had answers, personally; even more so, I wish I had $300,000 to give to the corps. I can't claim to possess either, and if that makes my opinions invalid, then do me the favor of ignoring them. I simply am at a loss after bringing in my contacts from the John Sykes Foundation for a potential charity partnership that could have given the corps a great channel in Central Florida, with the chair of the music department at UT expressing personal interest as well. The University of Tampa has just constructed a new intramural field on West Kennedy Boulevard here in Tampa. Whenever I drive by there, I can't help but dream of seeing a Glassmen corps rehearsing there...maybe someday we'll get to see a corps there. I am, obviously, a dreamer.

• Like 1

Bingo laws are usually a State jurisdiction. Most have laws stating that an organization must be actively pursuing its 501c charter's "reason for being" in order to continue to run a bingo operation. In the case of a DCI drum corps, that usually means educating youth in music/

the arts. Without a performance group, it is kind of hard to prove that charter.

If they need to maintain a performing group I would say maintain a Sound Sport Team and Drum Line Team. I'm told, in the Eastern Part of the country parades pay money for music marching units to march so maintain a Parade unit. This would satisfy the "actively pursuing" part of their charter. If parades paid money in our neck of the woods, we would be marching them all the time.

It's easy to sit back and spout off ideas but maybe this online brainstorming can help them or some other group stay solvent and active.

Edited by Kansan

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am not the only alumni frustrated by the lack of communication or visibility about anything being done.

I am frustrated that debts continued to be wrung up for at least 3 years before anything was done about it.

I'm frustrated about the secrecy going on about any future of this organization from those in charge. I'm frustrated nobody is saying or doing anything.

I have all of my memories, great friends I've gained, and a true experience of a lifetime from the organization but I've reached a point where I'm not donating another penny to help unless I know there is a definitive plan in place that is openly shared with the public and being followed to get this organization back on the field.

The latest lack of developments as noted in the recent pages of this thread is more and more looking like Mr. Hickman, many times criticized on DCP threads about the Glassmen, was not the major source for the corps' stagnation and demise. How is this board determined: elected, appointed, volunteered?

Yes, there seems to be a major diference in creativity, enthusiasm, and energy when compared to the efforts and perspective in Nashville. {I don't know any of the board members names, let alone personally.}

Edited by drilltech1

Didn't the Glassmen just have a Golf fundraiser the other day? So, I guess they're trying to do something to improve there current financial status. Or did anyone out there even paid attention to them having a Golf fundraiser before everyone on DCP started putting them down!!!

Their Facebook Event for "Glassmen Development Meeting" setup by the volunteers was cancelled a week ago. Here was the note that was posted.

We have been asked to cancel this meeting by the Glassmen Board of Trustees. Over the past year, many volunteers and alumni have come together to find ways to help bring the Glassmen back to the field. We have had many successful initiatives such as cookbook sales and the All Star Review. Many people poured their hearts, passion, time and pocketbooks into extending the life of the corps in hopes that eventually there would be light at the end of the tunnel. This meeting was set to find new revenue streams hearing ideas from the entire Glassmen family. Unfortunately we found little support among board leadership to continue this process. So, we have decided to cancel this meeting and unfortunately must wait for news from the board on the future of the Glassmen. Thank you for your support and efforts and we hope to be part of the process of bringing the Glassmen back.

Sounds like the Board is concerned about new revenues coming in that could complicate the relationship with creditors. It could be that they feel their negotiating position in terms of settling debt is strengthened by NOT having any funds available.

If it's not that, then who knows wtf they're thinking.

Perhaps the current BOD wants to avoid repeating the mistakes that got them where they are.

Recovery should be meticulous and resistant to the passionate who offer short-term fixes but not the requisite dedication to long-term stability, viability, and profitability.

While I think Slingerland's assessment could very-well be correct, I think it's also probable that short-term solutions could be useful to relieve the pressure from creditors. The debt's got to be paid; if a car wash helps pay that bill sooner, it would seem worthy of exploration of all such revenue sources.

If they're focused on fixing the structural and organizational problems that lead here, they may not have time nor interest in developing fundraising at this point. It may appear that they don't care when, in reality, they simply have bigger fish to fry right now.