Glassmen News?

They're filing Chapter 7, but saying they hope it clears the way for another generation of leadership. Given that Chapter 7 involves liquidation of assets and (usually) dissolution of the corporation, not sure there'd be anything left for a next generation to fix, except for starting all over with a new company. Shame that they weren't able to make it work.

EDIT: Though it looks like their alumni association is going to try to keep something going.

http://www.glassmenalumni.org/2013/11/urgent-from-the-gaa-board-of-directors/#.UpjJWpHnAwI

Edited by Slingerland

I saw the Facebook post this morning, and was really disappointed. I remember in 93 when Glassmen and Colts both made finals for the first time, tying for 11th place in semis. I remember being excited for both corps. Glassmen had some very good shows even before they ever made finals. Then in the late 90s, something changed, and they really upped their game, placing as high as 5th place at finals. Drum corps rumors always had it that two rich women had given millions to the corps, other rumors had it that Acheson(former Glassmen director) being executive director at DCI had pushed them up. But regardless they really had some great shows and performances. Even when their placements dropped in the later 2000s, they still had some original shows that were written well, and performed very well. I do know some people found a couple of their shows a little boring, and if I am not mistaken they even had a t-shirt that said something about being boring, which I always thought was great.

Not sure if they can ever bounce back from this, but I would really love to see them come back in the future. To all the former members and staff and volunteers of the Glassmen, I am sorry this has happened, and want to thank each and every one of you for all the wonderful shows you have put on the field over the last 4 decades. As far as I can tell you have always been a class act. And if I am not mistaken, the last thing you guys did was take in members of Teal Sound who folded mid season, helping out about a dozen or so kids who had no place to go. What a great act of kindness to be remembered for. Best of luck to everyone moving forward. Hopefully someday the name Glassmen will be announced the field by Brandt Crocker once again.

• Like 1

For those posters who don't do facebook...

(original post : https://www.facebook.com/pages/GLASSMEN-Drum-Bugle-Corps/175562630809 )

To all our beloved friends, volunteers, alumni, supporters, donors, and fans:

The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps has been a fixture in the Toledo area for over fifty years. So it is with the heaviest of hearts that we, the Board of Directors, announce that we have filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

Our financial struggles have not been a secret. We made public in the fall of 2012 our dire situation, and although a number of generous souls rushed to our aid at a critical time, we were only able to gather sufficient funds to maintain basic operations. While we addressed several legal and financial challenges, wecontinued to persevere with the help of major fund raisers like the Celebrity Wait, the All Star Review, and the recent Golf Outing. All of the fundraisers made money, but only the All Star Review was a major success.

We cannot thank each and every veteran, volunteer, and supporter enough for the days, months, and even years so many of you invested in The Glassmen.

Our goal for this legal action is to clear the way so that new leadership may step forward, and once again bring the Experience of a Lifetime to drum corps.

With sadness, and the utmost sincerity,

Tom Sink
Brad Bell
Sandra Clark
Bill Verhelst
Larry Westphal
Maureen Moomey

...other rumors had it that Acheson(former Glassmen director) being executive director at DCI had pushed them up.

Absolutely no merit in that whatsoever. If so, was Dan also the person to kept them out of Finals the year after he left the directorship?

Got to love drum corps rumors.

• Like 1

I am still mystified as to why this was necessary, ...

The corps Administration and Board racked up over $300,000 in debt. They did this thinking only about the utopian performance side while neglecting the reality business side. Then when reality reached critical mass it was too late; they finally woke up out of the dream of utopia and discovered that they could not generate enough revenue to cover the massive debt let alone contiune to field a corps; thus the Chapter 7 was necessary and not mystifying. I feel bad for two groups of people: 1) The youth performers; and 2) The adults that they owe all that debt to who are now getting hosed by the Chapter 7.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Wait a min all....do not feel sorry for us..i marched from 74-76...the year we went inactive do to finance reasons....we have been there done that. The alumni brought the Glassmen back then and we will do it again....as far as Dan goes...his last year with the Glassmen Family we finished 8th...there was a time with Dan that we were going to go inactive do to lack of members we had 50 at the time....to even whisper Dan had anything to do with us moving into 5th because he was Dci director at the time is very disrespectful to the Glassmen Family..