How well-known is drum corps outside of our world?

I'm curious to know how popular or well-known drum corps is outside the drum corps world. If you were to ask your classmates/co-workers, would they know about it? I'd imagine this varies regionally, but every time I see video of a corps doing a parade somewhere, I wonder how many in the audience know they're not actually watching a marching band.

Nobody I've mentioned it to at work ever heard of it, and about 5 of my FB friends that weren't in HS band or marched Corps ever heard of it.

I'm curious to know how popular or well-known drum corps is outside the drum corps world. If you were to ask your classmates/co-workers, would they know about it? I'd imagine this varies regionally, but every time I see video of a corps doing a parade somewhere, I wonder how many in the audience know they're not actually watching a marching band.

Actually, they are.

• Like 5

Well, they are watching a marching band; they always have been, despite the chest thumping about how drum corps is not marching band....that it is so much different and better. Even pre DCI, the kids in my town had no idea what the "band thing:" I did was. This despite the fact that my small town actually had two corps for a while.

Today...IMO nobody really knows about drum corps outside of our little world. My company has an office in Concord, CA, for instance, and not one person I have spoken to has heard of the Blue Devils.

• Like 1

O

1376626865[/url]' post='3313100']

Nobody. Ever. Reality.

• Like 6

If you grew up in the Greater Boston region and are over 55 years of age, then its almost impossible for you not to have known or heard about Drum & Bugle Corps. You'd have had to be living under a rock during much of your childhood and into your young adult life..... literally.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Frankly, today's audience mainly consists of ex-drum corps people, High school bandos & parents. It's just not a mainstream entertainment activity. When I show drum corps vids to friends there are a lot of glassy-eyed stares & folks start checking their watches about 6-7 minutes into a show.

Ironically, the most interested these folks got was when they watched the 2007 Championships video from ESPN. They weren't subjected to 12 minutes from every corps, there were some background vignettes that gave them a taste of the behind the scenes stuff, and the way that they presented the scores and replays/highlights during the broadcast, also made it more familiar and tangible to a mainstream audience that watches sports competitions. A couple of "outsiders" were actually convinced to go to a live competition after seeing the ESPN vid, and were subsequently hooked. I still think this is a better way to bring it to the mainstream, than movie theaters.

Edited by DCIroxx
  • Like 2

Forget your marching band facebook friends...Try going up to 10 strangers on the street and asking them what Drum Corps is. Sadly, maybe about three will say, "Is that like that movie Drum Line?" Maybe one will say "Isn't that like marching band?"

Maybe it wasn't always this way in parts of the country, but it's a niche of a niche activity.

• Like 2