stop the corps folding

My question is....Has DCI addressed the issues of all the corps that have died since 1978? If yes then, what was the answer?

oil_diesel_alldata566.png

This is the biggest issue (and food prices are tightly-linked to fuel prices). Not much DCI can do about this.

They can certainly restructure OC so that it is more of a regional or regional + optional finals trip model. This could encourage a lot more corps to crop up.

Forcing every group to be limited to a regional model, however, makes no sense as there are some corps that are a draw nationally and these same groups tend to have the revenue streams to be able to adapt.

Again, I do think there should be some tiers of touring within the classes that can help better sustain all groups.

That's also a good point. How many of them hand out audition details, contact numbers, etc, for people they are cutting. I'm guessing they simply do not care.

I would say, from experience, that it isn't entirely true that they do not recruit them. I am personally aware of some famous names in the drum corps world talking up players from some corps to come out for them in the fall. Some even talking to members who are still in uniform at Championships.

People want to stay if they prize loyalty above glory seeking. Of the people I've known that wanted to climb the ladder, some were looking for a better experience, some were looking for better instruction, but most were glory seeking for a championship. Let's not pretend it's more than that.

Very inclined to agree. Top corps uncategorically recruit. I've seen it on multiple occasions, must frequently from staff members working their "day jobs" with students they have from September to June.

Also, loyalty is a very important issue to the middling corps. Most of these groups have a fair number that find the loyalty to their corps supercedes all; however, I've noted approximately 25% are looking forward to moving up next season. Also, staff members at top groups at unsuccessful auditions will strongly recommend auditioning at less strenuous corps, often personally contacting friends at that group, with the strong recommendation to get some seasoning and come back next season.

If a kid leaves a corps to perform next season at another (higher ranked) corps, who do you blame? The higher ranked corps didn't pay or recruit him. Why blame them?

For starters, there is often "recruiting" going on, as many other posts have pointed out. But besides that, I would also "blame" the 40+ year long systematic drive toward a stagnated competitive hierarchy. That is the only reason the prospective member can identify the higher ranked corps in advance of their audition. No one knew in November 1971 whether Kingsmen, Cavaliers, Garfield or Blessed Sac would place 1st, 9th or 13th the following year (or even make it to championships). The list of corps with actual hope of making finals BITD was more like 30 instead of 13.

drum corps participants are certainly athletes. but im not sure that it's really a sport. there's no objective scoring (ball in basket, ball through goal posts, etc...). it's an entirely subjective assessment. so...imo not really a sport at all. but ill agree it has many of the attributes of sports.

Given how many fouls, penalties, and imperfectly-refereed decisions take place en route to a "score" in those games, I think nothing would meet your definition of a "sport".

oil_diesel_alldata566.png

This is the biggest issue (and food prices are tightly-linked to fuel prices). Not much DCI can do about this.

They can certainly restructure OC so that it is more of a regional or regional + optional finals trip model. This could encourage a lot more corps to crop up.

Forcing every group to be limited to a regional model, however, makes no sense as there are some corps that are a draw nationally and these same groups tend to have the revenue streams to be able to adapt.

Again, I do think there should be some tiers of touring within the classes that can help better sustain all groups.

On the right track with this thinking.

Hate to disagree with you here, but I have traveled extensively with a number of corps; both WC and OC. Been to shows with WC/OC and shows with just OC performing. Here is the deal: if these shows are reasonably priced, in an area which has more of a sense of community attributes than metropolitan, the stands are pretty well packed at all of these shows; even the shows where OC performs first then WC under the lights. I cannot remember the date or place, but I do remember an OC only show occurring near a town which had an arts and crafts festival going on at the same time; and many people from the festival attended, enjoyed, and greatly applauded, the OC corps. So, it is really just about venue choices and ticket pricing which promote to just a WC interested audience than it is being about no public support for the OC corps.

Why discuss exceptions rather than rules or the general? The exception is not the reality.

Except when the payout schedule is etched into stone by the top dogs.

Why don't the smaller, underfunded corps simply band together and state, flatly, that they are worth more payout than they're getting?

Because that would require them to plot secretly among themselves, in conflict of interest with the overall DCI membership. That is unethical.

Other (non-NCAA articles) claim that the essential reason for transfer rules in college sports seems to be preventing the negative aspects of player poaching. The ones I found include having poaching agents come onto campuses (unacceptable to the college) and coaches having to spend more time and effort on keeping players. I found no reference on the NCAA site or anywhere else that such policies make the sports more exciting by bringing performance levels together. (I did find a vague reference to "competition reasons" for some rules.)

I thought it was self-evident that if there were no rules limiting richer schools from luring athletes away from poorer schools, college competition would soon be decided in advance of the event, by dollars spent. Not only is that bad for education, it is also bad for business.

Problem solved right here. WC, OC, WC, OC. All corps perform in random order. Everyone is there early if Blue Devils is on first, Crown on last and everyone else is all over the place in between. Guaranteed.

This is not how the real world works. This is not what paying consumers want.

You don't buy Rolling Stones tickets and expect them to be the opening act for Nickleback.

I saw as many corps live this year as I possibly could... so many great groups, but the reality is that there is a wide range of performance levels out there (much of which is certainly tied to age and experience levels).

Drum corps is in the entertainment business... should both entertain and also be a business. Random order makes little sense, and as you describe it... you are using it to force paying customers to behave in a certain way. The solution, instead, should be market research... communication with the customer... to find out what it is they really want and give them that.