stop the corps folding

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but the clear answer is that NCAA sports qualify, since they have the transfer policies that Brasso is recommending. And the students pay an order of magnitude more to attend (granted, many are on scholarships). And, most significantly, the rules affect not only what team they play on, but what college they go to. That's a pretty draconian set of rules.

Don't forget, the NCAA rules about transfer rules only apply to a few sports at Division I schools, not all college sports. Most college athletes are perfectly free to transfer and immedately play in their chosen sports. The reason for the rules are, according to the NCAA, for the academic benefit of the student who is transferring, not to create some sort of parity in the sports.

The NCAA has a task force charged with looking at the the rules with an eye to loosening them up. No idea what will come of that.

I realize fuel prices are a lot higher than they used to be, but what are the other reasons that tour fees/dues/membership/etc for corps have gone up way faster than inflation? Were people really paying close to $2000 (What cost $3000 in 2012 would cost $1916.95 in 1993) in 1993? I don't recall it costing that much to march with anyone back then, but maybe it was. That is the equivalent of $3000 in 2012, based on CPI inflation data.

Substantially increased testicular girth on the part of corps directors, combined with the switch in materials from organic compounds to the more durable brass.

Seriously, though, I suspect fewer drum corps means less competition, and higher prices. Supply and demand. As long as it's perceived to be worth it for parents and members, they'll pay it.

Don't forget, the NCAA rules about transfer rules only apply to a few sports at Division I schools, not all college sports. Most college athletes are perfectly free to transfer and immedately play in their chosen sports. The reason for the rules are, according to the NCAA, for the academic benefit of the student who is transferring, not to create some sort of parity in the sports.

The NCAA has a task force charged with looking at the the rules with an eye to loosening them up. No idea what will come of that.

Yep.