Electronics in DCA

The amps-when mixed well-dont bother me so much. I don't really think it's necessary as I've never had a problem hearing a pit even in the days before concert marimbas, etc., were used on the field. The ones folks used to march while playing were often loud enough and even frequently too loud. But I get it: we're an activity of 'artists' now so we need electrification.

But the synths that I've heard are just plain distracting, hideously mixed, and introduce (an unnecessar) new instrument family. Really when you add the synths, you might as well throw the woodwinds in as well.

Actually, the only format I can see the need for speakers would be finals,......for dca OR dci, and maybe the DCI focus shows............EVERY regular season show I have attended are in intimate enough stadiums, and crowd sizes were such that, speaker systems are not necessary,.............I can't wait to hear the snap crackle pop of crappy mikes, cords, from the pits of corps who are just trying to keeps up with the new equipment demands, while still worrying how they are gonna pay for the fuel to get home from the show that night,..............

• Like 3

Jeff. Thank you so much for listing a few of the many reasons why attendance at so called drum and bugle corps competitions is a mere fraction of what it was in the past.

And are you saying that if we went back to the old starting line, no pit or tympani, inspections or neon bespeckled, spandexed guard, that DCA would pack the house?

• Like 2

And are you saying that if we went back to the old starting line, no pit or tympani, inspections or neon bespeckled, spandexed guard, that DCA would pack the house?

I'm not sure what that packed house would be there to see. There really aren't many, if any, current members who would want to do that type of show.

Even many (again if not most) of the alumni corps do not fit into what he considers to be real drum and bugle corps.

• Like 1

legalEagle, my comments are one persons opinion and I am aware that they are not popular with many who post on this forum. It is not my intention to put you or anyone else down. If I was 20 years old again, I could not begin to do what these kids do in these incredibly demanding show nowadays. If you are offended by my belief that it was no longer drum and bugle corps by the time you first picked up a flag (as you put it) then you must be very sensitive. If everyone on this forum felt the same way about everything, this would be a very boring forum. It appears to me that only a fraction of the people who view the posts on this forum actually posts themselves and who knows, I may have more supporters than I think. Having said that, I have no problem with anyone who comes down on me for my beliefs. There some very gracious people on this forum (of course many of them happen to be ex Sunrisers) and some people who get offended easily. And then there are most likely some people like me who are old and bitter. Just saying.....

Actually not very sensitive, just very tired of people who are so selfish that they want what it was they had in their generation to be the drum corps of the present. Sat in front of and behind a pack of those types at the Bridgeport show this year. The entire show they loudly conversed while corps were performing about how much they suck and how it was better BITD. The constant moaning about the pit, not just the size, or electronics (which played no part in the show they were there to watch), the drills, the guard, the lack of color-presentation, on and on.....I'm not really sure why they had left an open row between themselves and I'm sure they weren't thrilled having people who actually watched and cheered for the corps there.

But it's people you, SunRifle, and people like them, and the others on here, FB, RAMD before that, that think it is their job to tell people that what they are doing now or 5, 10, 20 and 30 years ago isn't really drum corps. It has nothing to do with being sensitive, it has everything to do with respecting the amount of time and hard work these people put in to attempting to be the best at something they believe in. I did my time and busted my ### (and other body parts) in the process. People don't join a drum corps to have a relaxing summer, or to save money, and as much as scores matter, they don't do it for that either. To see someone, anyone, say they weren't really in a drum corps because of the time frame within which they performed is something you may not find to be insulting, but I'm most certainly not the only person who does find it to be.

• Like 3

LegalEagle. Thank you so much for your lecture. Because of you I now know how much work and time it takes to participate in a "drum corps" and that scores don't matter to the corps members (is the Brooklyn bridge still for sale?). Perhaps you could explain to me how you can call them drum and bugle corps when there are no bugles in the brass line. Oh and while you're at it, why not elaborate on why you are insulted by the fact that I think they should be called brass bands. After all, I do attend the brass band contests and enjoy them.

• Like 1

If scores truly were the end all be all of the activity for the members there would be very few participants who wished to be there in the last 15 years, first with the Brigs run at 1st places, followed by Bucs. Your beloved Sunrisers would have never come back from the dead to compete again. The Hurcs would have given up after the African trip to the bottom of the score sea. Bush wouldn't have fielded an Open or an A corps because while nobody wants to be last, not everybody is going to be first.

As far as calling themselves drum and bugle corps, take a look and you will notice most corps refer to themselves as simply drum corps. But whoever had that beat a dead horse picture needs to come in with it again. This is going simply nowhere productive. Too bad, this could have been a good discussion about where the activity is going in the future.

• Like 1

Probably not ... but, a $5-$10 ticket price would help! ... saved the Barnum ... and now the Hurcs have an $8 ticket next week ...

:-)

• Like 2

Jeff. Thank you so much for listing a few of the many reasons why attendance at so called drum and bugle corps competitions is a mere fraction of what it was in the past.

There's so many reasons and electronics and show design are just two of thousands of reasons.

But I tell you what: since you think old time drum corps will bring the crowds flocking, let me know what the attendance is at the alumni show in 2 weeks. I love alumni corps but let me give you a hint: not as big as finals

• Like 3

LegalEagle. Thank you so much for your lecture. Because of you I now know how much work and time it takes to participate in a "drum corps" and that scores don't matter to the corps members (is the Brooklyn bridge still for sale?). Perhaps you could explain to me how you can call them drum and bugle corps when there are no bugles in the brass line. Oh and while you're at it, why not elaborate on why you are insulted by the fact that I think they should be called brass bands. After all, I do attend the brass band contests and enjoy them.

If you truly hate the current product so much then go the #### away. It's not changing back.

I go less than I used to, and I'm certain the day is coming I stop going because I don't enjoy it anymore. But you won't see me on here insulting everyone that followed because we weren't lucky enough to be born in time to march "drum corps" as you see fit to define it.

• Like 2