Electronics in DCA

LegalEagle. Google "drum and bugle corps" and read the fist line in the wikipedia definition.

I just googled it. And a picture of the 2013 DCI champions Carolina crown came up.

Funny how that happened.

Until then stop telling me to get off your lawn, because really, you're in mine

• Like 2

LegalEagle, In what post did I say I hate the current product? I have said, that you seem to ignore, in a few of my posts is that I attend DCI and DCA shows and that I enjoy them for what they are. And yes, most of what I loved about drum corps is missing from the current product which to me resembles marching bands. I do not think a marching brass band with no bugles in the brass line should call itself a drum and bugle corps or drum corps. The first line of the wikipedia definition of "drum and bugle corps" says drum and bugle corps also known as drum corps so calling them drum corps when they do not utilize bugles doesn't cut it either. By the way, I know all the four letter words that you know but I have not used them or xxxx's when corresponding with anyone on this forum. I have also not told anybody to "go to he'll" so, while you are accusing me of disrespect, you might want to audit your own posts. If you and your buddy Jeff don't like what I have to say, skip over my posts. Have a nice day!

Edited by Sunrifle
  • Like 1

isnt the defination ( Brass Instruments? ) and no matter what it says...who cares ...who says it cant change to kazzoos if the current memebers want that. So if you want to call it Brass bands go ahead.

As far as those who say its like marching band now...how can that be with all the other instruments a band has .

People love to talk about the good old days and the reason things are the way they are now BUT never look at the real reasons and that has nothing to do with instruments. different times, different people , different world. The things others mention are only a fraction of the reasons But love to jump on CHANGE I think to make their own self revelent as well as their beliefs or their time . Probably totally natural , I remember those saying the same 30 years ago about current drum corps then

A couple years ago I was at a show where an alumni corps (that shall remain nameless) performed. They had G bugles, old school drums, and the old style guard.

Behind me I heard, "What the heck is this? This isn't drum corps."

From the mouths of babes...

• Like 2

LegalEagle, In what post did I say I hate the current product? I have said, that you seem to ignore, in a few of my posts is that I attend DCI and DCA shows and that I enjoy them for what they are. And yes, most of what I loved about drum corps is missing from the current product which to me resembles marching bands. I do not think a marching brass band with no bugles in the brass line should call itself a drum and bugle corps or drum corps. The first line of the wikipedia definition of "drum and bugle corps" says drum and bugle corps also known as drum corps so calling them drum corps when they do not utilize bugles doesn't cut it either. By the way, I know all the four letter words that you know but I have not used them or xxxx's when corresponding with anyone on this forum. I have also not told anybody to "go to he'll" so, while you are accusing me of disrespect, you might want to audit your own posts. If you and your buddy Jeff don't like what I have to say, skip over my posts. Have a nice day!

I kind of agree about the terminology. To my mind, when DCI added the electronics they fundamentally changed the activity. Since the 1930s the activity used brass and percussion as the sole instrumentation. Synths are neither-so there's a definite difference. Earlier developments all came from those existent instrument families. So what DCI does is something a bit different-not my cup of tea, but certainly a viable art form. I don't think that opinion somehow demeans current marchers-it says nothing about about their obvious talent, work ethic and so on.

I also don't see how suggesting that today's DCI is an association of marching bands is a pejorative. At this point, DCI has much more in common with the current crop of (excellent) competitive high school bands than drum and bugle corps of the 1950s. Why is being a band so bad: isn't that a value judgement in itself that posits drum and bugle corp's as superior to bands? To my ears, the pure brass-preferably g/percussion sounds more pleasing than a band with synths and/or woodwinds. But that isn't a value judgement on which is 'best.' In art is their ever really a 'best'? Isn't it a matter of personal taste?

The argument that is really a dead horse is the one that claims anyone who prefers a brass and percussion musical form believes that their time was the best or somehow defines a pure state of the activity. I am of the opinion that the golden age of the activity was years before I marched in the mid-80s. When I marched the activity was in decline.

I think Liz's point about drum corps vets acting out at shoes is sadly true. I've sat at show and had to listen to the 'expert' opinions of veterans who should know better. Dissing the people on the field is never cool. It really isn't showing off drum corp's/marching band expertise: it's just a callous display of ignorance. And if you dislike the entertainment: do something else and let the paying customers enjoy.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77
  • Like 2

There's so many reasons and electronics and show design are just two of thousands of reasons.

But I tell you what: since you think old time drum corps will bring the crowds flocking, let me know what the attendance is at the alumni show in 2 weeks. I love alumni corps but let me give you a hint: not as big as finals

I think it's fair to mention that the Alumni show is (necessarily) scheduled awkwardly.

• Like 2

As someone who performed in 4 of them, I will agree with you about the scheduling. But it is what it is. There really aren't other options. They (meaning DCA) manage the best they can.

As someone who performed in 4 of them, I will agree with you about the scheduling. But it is what it is. There really aren't other options. They (meaning DCA) manage the best they can.

Agreed!

I think it's fair to mention that the Alumni show is (necessarily) scheduled awkwardly.

Let me know the attendance of the other alumni shows that run all year then.

Not as big.

I live alumni corps. But their appeal is to a segment of the audience that's going less and less. Until corps start going in more of an 80's/90's route, alumni Atendance will start to die off. Literally.