BluRay/DVD Technology Issue

Here's the deal:

Last night I was watching my final set of champions performances on my big screen TV.

I noticed that my 2001, 2005, and 2008 DVD's all look HORRIBLE. Like you can barely make out the figures marching and there are large black stripes beside each yard line. The definition is awful.

I put in my 2011 and 2012 Blu Rays and the definition sucks as well. Often pixelated especially along the yard lines.

So I put my BluRays in my laptop and the definition is remarkable. It's not the BluRays.

Is it my television? I have a 46' Sony Bravia, Is it my BluRay player? It's Sony...but my wife bought it. Could it be my HDMI cables?

My first thought is the hdmi cable. I had that issue once. A new cable fixed it.

• Like 1

Probably worth replacing the cable first. If you can wait a few days, Monoprice is the best place to buy HDMI cables. To test out your TV/Blu-ray player, you could try hooking your laptop up to it and playing the Blu-rays and DVDs through that way. Also worth trying different input jacks on your TV if you have others, just to eliminate all the possibilities.

• Like 1

It's likely not your cables. HDMI cables carry signal digitally, which means they either work or they don't. There is no gray area, and spending more money on "upgraded cables" is just a marketing ploy.

I've had cable issues before on a webcast. I plugged my computer in, and the screen had a very interesting green tint. When I switched to my other cable, the picture went on perfectly fine.

• Like 1

It's likely not your cables. HDMI cables carry signal digitally, which means they either work or they don't. There is no gray area, and spending more money on "upgraded cables" is just a marketing ploy.

Incorrect. I had exactly the same issues - replaced the cable - fixed.

• Like 1

. . .well, yes, in the "Monster Cable" sense of the mess that some people try to foist on the buying public.

However, I have seen a new HDMI cable (and I do the monoprice thing myself and buy 'em in bulk) fix pixelation issues. It's by far the cheapest piece to try to replace first, anyway. :tongue:

Incorrect. I had exactly the same issues - replaced the cable - fixed.

Correlation does not prove causation. I'm glad the fix appears to have worked for you, but the root cause was likely something else.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Here's the deal:

Last night I was watching my final set of champions performances on my big screen TV.

I noticed that my 2001, 2005, and 2008 DVD's all look HORRIBLE. Like you can barely make out the figures marching and there are large black stripes beside each yard line. The definition is awful.

I put in my 2011 and 2012 Blu Rays and the definition sucks as well. Often pixelated especially along the yard lines.

So I put my BluRays in my laptop and the definition is remarkable. It's not the BluRays.

Is it my television? I have a 46' Sony Bravia, Is it my BluRay player? It's Sony...but my wife bought it. Could it be my HDMI cables?

You might also check to see that your player is set to 1080P output and that your TV is also set to display the full resolution for the HDMI input you're using. (They don't all necessarily default to these settings.)

• Like 1

You might also check to see that your player is set to 1080P output and that your TV is also set to display the full resolution for the HDMI input you're using. (They don't all necessarily default to these settings.)

THANKS! That fixed it!

Everything was set to AUTO, but not OUTPUT resolution. I had to set it. Geez who knows what resolution I've been watching BluRay's on since November.

...and all this time my wife was right. She said she didn't see a big difference between DVD's and BluRays and I told her she was crazy. I guess I'm crazy. Thanks again :thumbup:

Between :angel1: and :devil: looks really good now!

• Like 2