Why is George Hopkins a punch line?

Well here's an interesting thread...

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2013 at 10:00 AM, Michael Boo said:

In all fairness, the 2007 incident occurred because someone forgot to redo the hash marks during the break before the last group of corps in what was then named Quarterfinals. I know from communications with a director of a corps that preceded Cadets that this director told George the faded hash marks were a liability. George and any other director would have been well within their right to ask for the hash marks to be redone...as had been planned during the prior break.

The big beneficiary of George's actions weren't Cadets but Blue Devils, who went on after Cadets and got to march on a well-defined field without absorbing any of the negative crowd reactions Cadets suffered because George stood up for his corps...and Blue Devils.

The big insult was all the above wasn't communicated well and the corps received a penalty for holding up the show. (For those who don't know, the corps came onto the field, then left amid scores of loud boos.) There was a rather lengthy meeting after the show was over and the penalty was withdrawn. I was outside the stadium—but still within the gate—talking with Cadets' percussion staff when George came out of the meeting and informed them the penalty was overturned. He looked like death warmed over...it apparently took a lot out of him emotionally.

And that's what many people don't seem to "get," and that is his undying passion towards his corps. This is part of what led him to create the band circuit that has exploded along the east coast and brought in money for the corps, an act that at the time of creation was strongly criticized for drum corps "intruding" upon the unorganized sanctitiy of marching bands in that part of the country. If more directors had the same type of passion...with vision, fewer corps would be out of business.

To be fair, even if the hash marks were a "liability", Cavies still got a higher field number that night than Cadets.

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He’s not a punchline now.  He’s a cautionary tale. 

Like those old Smith Barney commercials..."he did it the old fashioned way; he earned it."

• Like 2

Warning: This story may be a repeat...

There are certain characters who are regulars at DCI, some of whom have probably been to finals each year since 1972. One of the more colorful characters stayed at the same hotel I did a few years back. There was a man who marched with Cadets who was there with his wife and children, one of whom was going into 5th grade. As I was grabbing  cup of coffee, I spoke with the family and I learned that the boy going into 5th grade played the clarinet. I told him I played the clarinet when I was his age. This caught the ear of the colorful character who ranted and raved about the evils of woodwinds and accused me of being like George Hopkins and wanting to force woodwinds into DCI. This was on the morning of prelims and for the rest of the weekend, anytime he saw me, including at LOS, he called me George Hopkins. 

For a while the name George Hopkins was applied to all sorts of things, especially a  change that was not popular. I think in many ways he was more of a personality or a persona than anything else. After the accusations were made, and now that charges have been filed, he is no longer a persona or personality, he is a person and a person who has been accused of and now charged with serious crimes. I don't think George Hopkins has been used as a punchline since last April, but sadly for him, all he did to advance the activity no longer matters.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2013 at 9:40 PM, 2000Cadet said:

Lol no need to apologize. Just waiting to see what the responses will be.

But you'll be hearing a lot of "G7" complaining so be aware.

I think the G7 is a decent camera but it is too plasticky for me.  They are great for video I hear.

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

I think the G7 is a decent camera but it is too plasticky for me.  They are great for video I hear.

I always love being quoted 5 years later. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

What I find most perplexing about this topic is that in all the discussion of GH that took place at the time, not one criticism had anything to do with what would become the subject of the allegations, EVEN THOUGH EVERY ONE HAD ALREADY OCCURRED. Even on an anonymous forum like DCP in a thread that was specifically created to bash the guy, no mention. As one who believes that at least some of the incidents rise to some pretty serious levels of misconduct/assault, including potential criminal consequences, it is a mystery how this stayed under wraps for so long.