Do band directors SUPPORT or UNSUPPORT drum corps? And why?

You would think that they would want to strive to be that way, right?

maybe...

I think a lot of band directors just strive to provide a positive experience and grow their program (which in many places is not hundreds of students); they really have more fundamental issues to worry about; issues that likely rarely come up in places like Avon and Woodlands. Obviously if you move Harloff (etc) to a high school band with 60 kids, they will not be challenging for any BOA trophies.

likewise, there are some high school bands that walk out on stage during concert season and blow away many of the college bands in the country (not the places with big/good music schools, obviously). They are also quite the exception.

We experienced sort of a balanced approach. Coming from a semis level band, DCI selection was celebrated, top-notch visiting corps were routinely hosted which the entire band would assist and observe, corps staff were present at clinics for critique, local shows and/or Big Loud Live were an organized event, etc. But, active auditioning was not actively encouraged until later in the HS career. It was a very sound approach to give the young marcher significant seasoning to become fully aware of what they were getting themselves into.

• Like 1

I'd also like to add that in terms of having aspirations for my program, I hold up DCI World Class corps as the epitome of what the kids should strive to do (obviously understanding the different reherasal schedule/age spread/etc.).

However, educationally, I encourage my kids to go audition and actually march with the local DCA corps. Only the most hard core kids will be encouraged to march DCI.

Just a thought. :smile:

Id like to hear the reality of it.

yes and no. there's the reality of it

Back in the day when the Boston area had not just drum corps but also bands that competed in the CYO and Eastern Massachusetts circuits and drill teams, band directors saw these activities as competition to school programs, especially at the time when Massachusetts residents voted into law Proposition 2 1/2 which limited property taxes which in turn decimated the budgets of some school districts, and school programs were competing for the same donors as drum corps. Fast forward, many band directors in this area have drum corps experience and wish their marching members wanted to spend the summer in drum corps. High school marching bands are not as competitive in New England as in other parts of the country, though this is beginning to change, and from what I understand that directors now encourage students to consider Spartans and 7th Regiment, perhaps even Boston Crusaders.

Something I would wonder is whether schools that have phenomenal band programs, Broken Arrow is often mentioned as an example, that would probably require participants to practice during the summer, would they be as open to their participants spending a summer with a drum corps? They obviously support the activity since they host a show and corps use their facilities, but key players away for eth summer could be detrimental to their program.

My band director was a huge supporter of his students auditioning for corps. We came back stronger and more disciplined, which he was always a fan of. I can see why some directors wouldn't want it (missing band camp, feeling "too good" for marching band, etc) but I guess we never really had that problem.

College , however, was different. Several music professors tried to change my mind, citing that my chops would be destroyed or that I wouldn't be getting in any valuable rehearsal time on the things I needed to be working on. I understood their point of view, but I feel like they were a little overdramatic about it. I came back a better musician with a much greater work ethic. After a summer of drum corps, working on simple fundamentals was easy.

I think as long as the student stays focused, it's hard for a summer of drum corps to be a negative experience. But educators don't always see it that way.

It is important to remember that producing a good marching band is not necessarily the paramount goal of music education.

True, but it's one of the more visible aspects of it. Even people that come to the weekly football game and know nothing about marching band can tell when a band is sucking, and when they're going to compete at BOA Nationals. Administrators and supporters can see the band without having to go to a concert festival or asking you how many kids learned their scales. Music education is amazingly important, and the kids need to know all types of skills, but marching band is probably the most easily visible ways to demonstrate a good program.