What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

I could also see your prediction of "Lasers" work out for a show about house cats. The drum major could direct a laser pointer on the turf and the "cat" chases it. HUGE General Effect. The corps could play music from Thailand for the section about Siamese cats and music from Iran for the section about Persian cats. And there's plenty of Russian music that would work for the part about Siberian cats.

I have a laser pointer and my cat loves it. So I am completely on board with the "Laser-Cat" show. Perhaps even "Stray Cat Strut" could be used for a swing/jazz portion of the music book.

I would, however, caution that if the drum major inadvertently points the laser at the audience, there could be serious injuries and perhaps permanent eye damage for some spectators.

Edited by Fran Haring

I would, however, caution that if the drum major inadvertently points the laser at the audience, there could be serious injuries and perhaps permanent eye damage for some spectators.

Considering some of the guard outfits and regular uniforms lately, who'd notice a little more eye damage? :blink:

• Like 1

I have a laser pointer and my cat loves it. So I am completely on board with the "Laser-Cat" show. Perhaps even "Stray Cat Strut" could be used for a swing/jazz portion of the music book.

A Laser Cats show would be awesome. "Some will use the cats for good. Others for evil."

LaserCATS.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

LED lighting is the least of my concerns. Strings & reeds on the other hand...

High Stepping Drum Majors with a whistle and a twirling baton. smile.gif

Then DCI would be ripping off Big10 marching bands.

Then DCI would be ripping off Big10 marching bands.

High stepping Drum Majors with a whistle and a twirling baton out front would still be " a Drum Corps " however ( and still doing a youth competitive " sport " ). Why ? Because we said so. And thats enough to make it so. ( dont'cha know ? )

DCI will allow corps to get special age allowances for guest stars like Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Katie Perry and Lindsay Lohan. They will sing, rap and dance to the music.

After that, music judges will be eliminated for D-list stars like Dennis Rodman, Flavor Flav and Michael Lohan.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77
  • Like 1

Woodwinds? How about video over the trons to incorporate into your message? Pyrotecnics? Strings? All micd brass for amplification?

I would think LED's or maybe large screens. I've seen some amazing applications of that stuff in marching band shows that I think DCI could really excel. With so many big shows indoors, meaning there is consistent knowledge of lighting and no worries of weather, I wouldn't be surprised if this were implemented sooner than later.

I don't care what they do as long as it is entertaining and gives the performers an experience of a lifetime. It took me a long time to accept the things that are happening now and since i have a performer in it I am glad I no longer pick it apart as much as i used to. I enjoy the shows much much more now.

• Like 3