G vs B-flat Experiment

Cincinnati Tradition uses all G horns and will also do so in 2014!

Tom Slade

Cincinnati Tradition

• Like 1

Cincinnati Tradition uses all G horns and will also do so in 2014!

Tom Slade

Cincinnati Tradition

Excellent. We will do a comparison between CT & a b-flat corps w/ about same number of horns, both qualitative & quantitative. Also Kilties, ES on the G side. Any other G corps?

Excellent. We will do a comparison between CT & a b-flat corps w/ about same number of horns, both qualitative & quantitative. Also Kilties, ES on the G side. Any other G corps?

Last I heard, Renegades were on G's. That probably doesn't help you much for this year though.

More details of what you're trying to accomplish? Very curious.

Which DCA corps are on G vs B-flat? I plan to do a bit of scientific analysis in a few weeks...

Please note, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just curious:

When you say "scientific analysis," are you being serious or being somewhat light-hearted with the term?

If this is just a fun comparison between groups, that's cool.

If this is an actual measured test, that's also cool, but I can already think of about a dozen variables that fundamentally compromise your experiment.

Please note, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just curious:

When you say "scientific analysis," are you being serious or being somewhat light-hearted with the term?

If this is just a fun comparison between groups, that's cool.

If this is an actual measured test, that's also cool, but I can already think of about a dozen variables that fundamentally compromise your experiment.

It will basically be for fun. I know there are many variables, but let's just see how loud one group is compared to another when the primary difference is G vs b flat.

More details of what you're trying to accomplish? Very curious.

There is a discussion over on the DCI page on G bugles. It occurred to me that there will shortly be an opportunity to test which is louder in a somewhat side-by-side way. And to evaluate qualitative differences by asking the rest of the group I will be with, who are basically guard types, if they can tell a difference between the G and B-flat corps.

Measuring mere volume seems to be a rather pointless exercise though. There are far too many variables that would affect the outcome. What about lines that play as an ensemble vs. a line of individuals? What about blending of multi-keys vs. the blending of G's? Perfectly matched intonation can increase the perceived volume as well. Is one corp's fff the same as another's? Does the difference of even one horn player invalidate the results?

It will basically be for fun. I know there are many variables, but let's just see how loud one group is compared to another when the primary difference is G vs b flat.

Fair enough.

If you're going to be around Annapolis, I would maybe consider (if you haven't already) spending most of prelims sampling as many hornlines in the lot as possible (when they start playing show segments). At least you'll get a bigger sample size in a somewhat more isolated environment.

Instead of G vs. Bb, I would consider approaching it as who wins the "volume award." I know my corps would hype that :-)

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1