How much did CADETS TOWERS cost their final score and placement

The towers were sloppy on finals night. It didn't seem to change their final placement. I actually thought SCV might over take them with those sloppy errors. There were some effective moments with the towers (color changes in particular) but overall I think they could have gotten away with not using them.

• Like 1

That line is saved for George Dixon.

1-point penalty for stealing his line.

tongue.gif/>

Oh you're so funny.

Personally without the towers the whole program would have been written differently so it's hard to say for sure...

Ordinarily a sparkling clean drill (and feet) and top percussion and nearly top brass would contend. I guess we could have assumed a 3-way race vs. them lagging back about a point at most events.

Bottom line is we'll never know. Will we?

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

The idea of the towers was essential to the show concept. Not having them would've hurt more, IMO.

That said, I think the final product was clumsy and poorly thought out. They were obviously difficult to move, even on indoor turf. You always had a hint of a color or two that wasn't being featured, even if you were sitting on the 50. And their use was ambiguous. Sometimes they hid members. Sometimes they split the corps. Sometimes the were actually a part of the form. And at the end we'll climb on them!

Good idea on paper.

Sub-par execution.

And .15 away from not medalling because of it.

Don't want to say the Cadets were handed a gift because the marching and music were top-notch. But effect wise, SCV certainly had them.

• Like 6

The towers were sloppy on finals night. It didn't seem to change their final placement. I actually thought SCV might over take them with those sloppy errors. There were some effective moments with the towers (color changes in particular) but overall I think they could have gotten away with not using them.

That's true: the towers did add some effect

Ordinarily a sparkling clean drill (and feet) and top percussion and nearly top brass would contend. I guess we could have assumed a 3-way race vs. them lagging back about a point at most events.

How is 4th place Vis Performance (field where judges are taking a REALLY good look at feet) "sparkling clean?!" :blink:

• Like 2

The idea of the towers was essential to the show concept. Not having them would've hurt more, IMO.

That said, I think the final product was clumsy and poorly thought out. They were obviously difficult to move, even on indoor turf. You always had a hint of a color or two that wasn't being featured, even if you were sitting on the 50. And their use was ambiguous. Sometimes they hid members. Sometimes they split the corps. Sometimes the were actually a part of the form. And at the end we'll climb on them!

Good idea on paper.

Sub-par execution.

And .15 away from not medalling because of it.

Don't want to say the Cadets were handed a gift because the marching and music were top-notch. But effect wise, SCV certainly had them.

I totally agree that this was one of those things that seems to have been awesome on paper but not-so-much in practice. I wonder if Cadets could've ditched the towers earlish in the season (at the DCI Regionals, starting with Minnesota, they always seemed like a sort of distant 3rd - they got close occasionally but score-wise, visually especially, they seemed to 'struggle' all season), redesigned drill, and had a better chance? Probably not I guess: best to try to polish a turd and hope for the best rather than gamble with massive rewrites.

Also, how much to moving the props hurt their guard scores? I honestly didn't see a ton of shows this year, so I don't know if the low guard scores were because of performer issues or because they were constantly moving the tower things around.

Uber props to the members though: they took what they had and went for it, doing well in brass & percussion! :thumbup:/>

Edited by perc2100

The thing is... This show was created around the visual design FIRST. And I guess it's disappointing when your visual design is the thing that held you back.... doh.gif/>

I think that happens a lot with prop use in general. Corps is supposed to be about the sound first, visual after that (I won't say second, because there are other important aspects, but sound first!). I feel as though props should only be used minimally, and shouldn't be designed before the rest of the thought process is solid.

• Like 1