"What If"

We had a related thread dealing with Drum Corps communication in the old days before the cyber world....some pretty interesting revelations along the lines of this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/156274-dci-dinosaur-communications-2-cans-and-a-string/

We had a related thread dealing with Drum Corps communication in the old days before the cyber world....some pretty interesting revelations along the lines of this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/156274-dci-dinosaur-communications-2-cans-and-a-string/

interesting..i never saw it...I think I may have been out on the road with a corps at the time and didnt DCP it....lol....but you see my point has been do we have to much inside knowledge to enjoy...like we may have BITD...clearly theres a few who want or need it all and others who could care less and just want to go and enjoy...no right or wrong I guess :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

this is true and am glad you can appreciate a show no matter what the politics. I guess there are always going to be 2 arguments those who believe the information age is the best and those who say that those so obsessed with the information have lost the emotion or experience.

I guess neither are wrong. Again, there was such a proposal made BITD like 1970 or 71 did most know..no very few did..would it have been different if back then we had the info?...probably..would it have changed things today...most likely..would the activity be different? I dont think so and the reason I say I dont think so is I believe the state of drum corps today has nothing to do with design choices, colors of uniforms or how often someone changes them, plume height,props but more to do with the fact its a cvery different time.

I saw many of these same arguments with many groups such as THE CYO, boy Scouts and many community orgs. that no longer exsist.

One cannot look back in history and say with certainty that 'performance' issues would have been different 'if'... however one can say with certainty that the open knowledge gained by outsiders can and does have a positive impact on the integrity of an activity. Imagine if the Olympics ice dancing judging scandal was not exposed; the 'performances' today would probably still be the same and the public would be living in ignorance; but that cancer, unexposed, would not have been cut out and inevitably it would rot the activity from the inside out. Now that we, the public, have the knowledge we can uphold the Olympics as having that integrity; we, the public, can still enjoy the performances; and we, the public, can keep a watchful eye on the Olympic judging system so as the cancer stays in remission.

There are two different issues here:

I thoroughly enjoyed the SCV production of Les Mis and the Cadets production of Angels and Demons while also having the knowledge of their director's G7 Powerpoint proposal.

I agree. Most of us here on DCP, I'd imagine can walk and chew gum at the same time.. in other words, can enjoy some of the G7 Corps shows, while simultaneously not happy on their G7 Powerpoint Proposals by a couple of their Corps Directors. We can separate the two... most of us anyway, I'd imagine.

Edited by BRASSO

What if Bob Barker really did die?

One cannot look back in history and say with certainty that 'performance' issues would have been different 'if'... however one can say with certainty that the open knowledge gained by outsiders can and does have a positive impact on the integrity of an activity. Imagine if the Olympics ice dancing judging scandal was not exposed; the 'performances' today would probably still be the same and the public would be living in ignorance; but that cancer, unexposed, would not have been cut out and inevitably it would rot the activity from the inside out. Now that we, the public, have the knowledge we can uphold the Olympics as having that integrity; we, the public, can still enjoy the performances; and we, the public, can keep a watchful eye on the Olympic judging system so as the cancer stays in remission.

yes but whos to say that those with the knowledge know what do do with it or should do anything at all or for that matter those doing the exposing have some underline agenda..or their own prejudice for a group, groups or individuals...hmmmmmm now thats food for thought :smile:/>/>...guess it's all specualtion.

I was taught a very long time ago beware of those in sheeps clothing or those who professing to save the world ( or our activity )

For me I would rather deal with the rat who is up front with their convictions then one who hides behind others, and there are certainly both in our activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

We tend to have many topics on " WHAT IFs " comparisons, etc etc. SO , I just thought I would throw this out there. WHAT IF the internet didnt exsist anymore

What IF we didn't have any access to know what was going on behind the scenes with DCI or Corps.

WHAT IF we had no way of knowing what a corps was planning, wearing or staff.

WHAT IF we had to go back to the days of just going to a show as a patron and merely just watch a competition.

Now this all may seem silly because of course we will never go back to those days BUT my question is would we enjoy the activity more? Do we have to much information? Did we take the enjoyment of the activity away because we have the need to be so involved.

When we talk about the good old days and whats missing now we forget that our involvment was way different......I know knowledge is power but when it comes to " ENTERTAINMENT" does the knowledge take away from the experience....just food for thought :smile:/>

You're describing the majority of DCI's history! Where we (fans) were lucky if we got Drum Corps World in mid-spring with the list of what each corps was playing for a show (sometimes corps wouldn't even do that). You knew what was going on ONLY because of friends on staff or in the corps, and going to a show is the first cool 'discovery' of what's going on with a show :tongue:

Personally, as I've gotten older, I've stopped reading a ton of stuff about show designs, digging for rehearsal/camp footage, reading rumors or "I went to camp and check out what they're doing" type posts. I didn't have FN most of this summer (up until Semifinals night), and I didn't even seek out a ton of YouTube video before I saw Semifinals. It was a lot of fun for me to 'discover' the shows that late in the season, and I have little doubt that it helped my enjoyment immensely to not see corps until the end. I usually LOVE seeing shows develop all year long, but this year it was nice seeing the shows relatively fresh for the most part. I agree that the information age makes us more informed which makes us a LOT more judgmental: with opinions often formed long before we see a downbeat or step off. But it is what it is; if more people kept open minds about shows, waiting to judge what they see instead of what they've heard behind the scenes, or whether or not they like synths or props, or other stuff, I think they'd personally enjoy the activity a LOT more.

You're describing the majority of DCI's history! Where we (fans) were lucky if we got Drum Corps World in mid-spring with the list of what each corps was playing for a show (sometimes corps wouldn't even do that). You knew what was going on ONLY because of friends on staff or in the corps, and going to a show is the first cool 'discovery' of what's going on with a show :tongue:/>

Personally, as I've gotten older, I've stopped reading a ton of stuff about show designs, digging for rehearsal/camp footage, reading rumors or "I went to camp and check out what they're doing" type posts. I didn't have FN most of this summer (up until Semifinals night), and I didn't even seek out a ton of YouTube video before I saw Semifinals. It was a lot of fun for me to 'discover' the shows that late in the season, and I have little doubt that it helped my enjoyment immensely to not see corps until the end. I usually LOVE seeing shows develop all year long, but this year it was nice seeing the shows relatively fresh for the most part. I agree that the information age makes us more informed which makes us a LOT more judgmental: with opinions often formed long before we see a downbeat or step off. But it is what it is; if more people kept open minds about shows, waiting to judge what they see instead of what they've heard behind the scenes, or whether or not they like synths or props, or other stuff, I think they'd personally enjoy the activity a LOT more.

I totally agree with you and the point of the post just to make some think back and maybe we do know to much or not enough whichever makes a person happy I suppose...For me , I was on tour alot and tried staying away from dcp as much as I used to , or face book etc etc...and most corps discourage the staff and members also from indulging but I also told friends ( other staffs ) dont tell me anything, so when I had the oppurtunity to see a corps for the 1st time it was kind of exciting with no pre concieved opinion....jmo

yes but whos to say that those with the knowledge know what do do with it or should do anything at all or for that matter those doing the exposing have some underline agenda..or their own prejudice for a group, groups or individuals...hmmmmmm now thats food for thought :smile:/>/>/>...guess it's all specualtion.

I was taught a very long time ago beware of those in sheeps clothing or those who professing to save the world ( or our activity )

For me I would rather deal with the rat who is up front with their convictions then one who hides behind others, and there are certainly both in our activity.

Well... hidden cancer, undetected, is always more deadly than visible cancer detected early.