"What If"

Just because I know the proper function of a Verb does not mean I can no longer conjure up the enjoyment of seeing that action in my imaginative mind's eye. Just because I know the function of a flat II Neapolitan Sixth Chord moving toward a V Chord does not mean that cannot enjoy the shear emotional feeling produced by that sound motion.

this is true BUT I do know , you know we arent talking about that..but youre right ..yes you can enjoy

so do you keep the powers to be in the entertainment industry at task?...just askin

A few years ago the major production power leaders of Broadway type musicals were in discussions to possibly get rid of the musicians in the pit orchestras; their reasoning was that the musicians were normally hidden from public view and that modern recording technology could replace them so as to increase bottom line profit for the producers. A few patrons happened to gain knowledge of this and informed the musicians who in turn informed the public. A musicians revolt then occurred with much public support for the musicians; and because of that knowledge I was able to be a part of that support. Does that answer your question?

Edited by Stu

A few years ago the major production power leaders of Broadway type musicals were in discussions to possibly get rid of the musicians in the pit orchestras; their reasoning was that the musicians were normally hidden from public view and that modern recording technology could replace them so as to increase bottom line profit for the producers. A few patrons happened to gain knowledge of this and informed the musicians who in turn informed the public. A musicians revolt then occurred with much public support for the musicians; and because of that knowledge I was able to be a part of that support. Does that answer your question?

well youre consistant...if nothing else.......then you need to fix this activity . :blink: its very interesting though that many who do want to go back to a more entertaining, different type of drum corps from today only want to go back to a point and thats fine......As someone who lives the activity ( from birth ) and still to this day I find it interesting talking to those who do, those who want to do, those who have never done and those who would have liked to have done. Many see a very different activity from the next. Im not sure if thats good or bad. I guess as long as we all still get something out of this activity, then thats a good thing..right?

Do we have to much information?

I think we actually have too little information, insofar as the off season is concerned anyway. BITD there was standstill competitions in the Winter... exhibitions by top Corps at Carnegie Hall, Symphony Hall Boston, in the months around Jan- April. One could walk into any open practice of any Corps and see what they were doing, and learning for future competitions. Major City newspapers in some cases had monthly columns with interviews with Corps Directors on how things were shaping up for their respective Corps... major radio stations had weekly 1 hour shows aired too, where DM's, MM's, Corps Directors would be interviewed in the off season, they'd be exbibitions by Corps in the offseason at Pro team half time games, they'd be offseason dances, and a Military Ball, and Banquets open to invitees from other Corps, and ice hockey, softball games, football games between Corps. There were 4 Drum Corps weekly, biweekly or monthly publications coming in the mail periodically throughout the off seaaon that kept one up to date on all the goings on, you'd go to the local Mall with your Corps Jacket on, and sometimes run into lots of others with Corps jackets on, so you'd stop and ask them how things were going with their Corps( or if a Rival Corps, give them the evil eye and move on.. haha! ). As a result, there was an offseason full of actiivities and get togethers that kept one in the info loop regarding Corps in the off season.

Today ? by comparison, Corps go into a lockdown mode pretty much in the off season and there is a veil of secrecy around everything going on, imo. As a result of such a lockdown on the flow of info, rumors fill the void, and we get all sorts of info from anonymous, faceless people on the ' Net, Twitterworld, etc that later turns out to be bogus info. DCI Drum Corps is pretty much a 9 week activity now. From the middle of August to the following mid June, there is a 43 week silent period of a lack of activity, news, info as to what is going on with all the Corps. Thats how I see it now anyway regarding the information received now in the offseason compared to BITD.

Edited by BRASSO

I think we actually have too little information, insofar as the off season is concerned anyway. BITD there was standstill competitions in the Winter... exhibitions by top Corps at Carnegie Hall, Symphony Hall Boston, in the months around Jan- April. One could walk into any practice of any Corps and see what they were doing, and learning for future competitions. Major City newspapers in some cases had monthly columns with interviews with Corps Directors on how things were shaping up for their respective Corps... major radio stations had weekly 1 hour shows aired too, where DM's, MM's, Corps Directors would be interviewed in the off season, they'd be exbibitions by Corps in the offseason at Pro team half time games, they'd be offseason dances, and a Military Ball, and Banquets open to invitees from other Corps, and ice hockey, softball games, football games between Corps. There were 4 Drum Corps weekly, biweekly or monthly publications coming in the mail periodically throughout the off seaaon that kept one up to date on all the goings on, you'd go to the local Mall with your Corps Jacket on, and immediately run into lots of others with Corps jackets on, so you'd stop and ask them how things were going with their Corps( or if a Rival Corps, give them the evil eye and move on.. haha! ). As a result, there was a chock full of actiivities and get togethers that kept one in the info loop regarding Corps in the off season.

Today ? by comparison, Corps go into a lockdown mode pretty much in the off season and there is a veil of secrecy around everything going on, imo. As a result of such a lockdown on the flow of info, rumors fill the void, and we get all sorts of info that later turns out to be bogus info. DCI Drum Corps is pretty much a 9 week activity. From the middle of August to the following mid June, there is a 43 week of a lack of activity, news, info as to what is going on with all the Corps. Thats how I see it now anyway regarding the information received now in the offseason compared to BITD.

ahhh youre right about the activities BITD now that I think about it...it was also a situation were you got a glimpse but not a tell all...kinda made it exciting I guess.....i guess with the way things are today and the make up of corps compared to then it would be hard...we did all those things because many were local...its a project for a corps to even have an end of year banquet now....sad..many have to plan it DCI week and even then many kids just get home by that point

ahhh youre right about the activities BITD now that I think about it...it was also a situation were you got a glimpse but not a tell all...kinda made it exciting I guess.....i guess with the way things are today and the make up of corps compared to then it would be hard...we did all those things because many were local...its a project for a corps to even have an end of year banquet now....sad..many have to plan it DCI week and even then many kids just get home by that point

I agree.. good, bad, or indifferent, its just a completely different world now in Drum Corps.

• Like 1

yes for sure...but not just in drum corps...theres the good and bad of that also I suppose...one certainly had an affect on the other

True.. the earth did not stop spinning on its axis, but the world has changed as well.

well youre consistant...if nothing else.......then you need to fix this activity . :blink:/> its very interesting though that many who do want to go back to a more entertaining, different type of drum corps from today only want to go back to a point and thats fine......As someone who lives the activity ( from birth ) and still to this day I find it interesting talking to those who do, those who want to do, those who have never done and those who would have liked to have done. Many see a very different activity from the next. Im not sure if thats good or bad. I guess as long as we all still get something out of this activity, then thats a good thing..right?

There are two different issues here:

Issue 1) Knowledge people can attain concerning the inside industry certainly can and does keep the powers at be in check; just like the Broadway issue I just presented kept the Broadway producers in check. And I will fight tooth and nail to attempt to keep the ego-minded G7 directors in check.

Issue 2) One does not have to attain that inside knowledge to receive enjoyment, or lack thereof, concerning performances; but conversely having that knowledge does not necessarily diminish the enjoyment factor of the productions. I thoroughly enjoyed the SCV production of Les Mis and the Cadets production of Angels and Demons while also having the knowledge of their director's G7 Powerpoint proposal. And those sitting around me who had no clue about the G7 were also enthralled with those performances.

There are two different issues here:

Issue 1) Knowledge people can attain concerning the inside industry certainly can and does keep the powers at be in check; just like the Broadway issue I just presented kept the Broadway producers in check. And I will fight tooth and nail to attempt to keep the ego-minded G7 directors in check.

Issue 2) One does not have to attain that inside knowledge to receive enjoyment, or lack thereof, concerning performances; but conversely having that knowledge does not necessarily diminish the enjoyment factor of the productions. I thoroughly enjoyed the SCV production of Les Mis and the Cadets production of Angels and Demons while also having the knowledge of their director's G7 Powerpoint proposal. And those sitting around me who had no clue about the G7 were also enthralled with those performances.

this is true and am glad you can appreciate a show no matter what the politics. I guess there are always going to be 2 arguments those who believe the information age is the best and those who say that those so obsessed with the information have lost the emotion or experience.

I guess neither are wrong. Again, there was such a proposal made BITD like 1970 or 71 did most know..no very few did..would it have been different if back then we had the info?...probably..would it have changed things today...most likely..would the activity be different? I dont think so and the reason I say I dont think so is I believe the state of drum corps today has nothing to do with design choices, colors of uniforms or how often someone changes them, plume height,props but more to do with the fact its a cvery different time.

I saw many of these same arguments with many groups such as THE CYO, boy Scouts and many community orgs. that no longer exsist.

Edited by GUARDLING