"What If"

When I was a young warthog....WHEN HE WAS A YOUNG WARTHOG!

Woops...wrong activity, movies and such.

Knowledge is power right? But not everyone wants the power. Personally, I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the shows, I don't need all the finite details that go into the behind the scenes, I got enough of that when I marched and was staff.

On the other hand, if the internet didn't exist to provide all the shows, then some might not understand them. Numerous people said that shows had to "grow on them" this year for them to be appreciated, no way people could follow corps around on this national tour and go to each different event. So, there is your positive.

interesting..i never saw it...I think I may have been out on the road with a corps at the time and didnt DCP it....lol....but you see my point has been do we have to much inside knowledge to enjoy...like we may have BITD...clearly theres a few who want or need it all and others who could care less and just want to go and enjoy...no right or wrong I guess smile.gif

Alvin Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock" back in the 70's that examined the impact of too much change too quickly and that the generations that endured that change have difficulty processing it and suffer from "shattered stress and disorientation". I wouldn't go so far as to apply that outcome to present DC fans but the communication & entertainment field has undergone major technological leaps in tempo with our culture. Devices have brought us together "more" but not necessarily "better or closer"....and the anecdotes from our beloved Dinos in both of these threads reveals a more face to face and even "dedicated" fan environment.

We tend to have many topics on " WHAT IFs " comparisons, etc etc. SO , I just thought I would throw this out there. WHAT IF the internet didnt exsist anymore

What IF we didn't have any access to know what was going on behind the scenes with DCI or Corps.

WHAT IF we had no way of knowing what a corps was planning, wearing or staff.

WHAT IF we had to go back to the days of just going to a show as a patron and merely just watch a competition.

Now this all may seem silly because of course we will never go back to those days BUT my question is would we enjoy the activity more? Do we have to much information? Did we take the enjoyment of the activity away because we have the need to be so involved.

When we talk about the good old days and whats missing now we forget that our involvment was way different......I know knowledge is power but when it comes to " ENTERTAINMENT" does the knowledge take away from the experience....just food for thought :smile:

Heh... back in the day, we had Drum Corps News, Drum Corps World, and the rumor mill to keep us informed. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Alvin Toffler wrote a book called "Future Shock" back in the 70's that examined the impact of too much change too quickly and that the generations that endured that change have difficulty processing it and suffer from "shattered stress and disorientation". I wouldn't go so far as to apply that outcome to present DC fans but the communication & entertainment field has undergone major technological leaps in tempo with our culture. Devices have brought us together "more" but not necessarily "better or closer"....and the anecdotes from our beloved Dinos in both of these threads reveals a more face to face and even "dedicated" fan environment.

interesting book...can apply to so much I thin k especially about the good of technology and how easily it can be misused. Also how easy it is to hide behind. ( social media )there are definately 2 sides to this coin. Unfortunately we see the bad side all to often. KIds are for sure learning the hard way and paying for it in way of jobs , school, even losing spots in corps.

Having a voice is a great thing , knowing how and when to use it is an art for sure.