I KNEW this was coming.

Serious poll though, did anyone actually notice during Cadets show that they weren't spinning the standard rifles and sabres? Did you really from 30 rows up in the stands? Or do some people just a metaphorical axe to grind against the Cadets? I know I couldn't tell the difference, their "bolt" thing looks pretty similar to a rifle from a distance, some with their new sabre thing. Looked the exact same from the stands and on my TV for the webcasts.

And I'm sure cadets will be back to spinning traditional rifles and sabres next year, as this experiment didn't really work.

Not sure I know what this means.

Are you suggesting the Cadets' guard scored poorly because their equipment looked different? They certainly didn't have any more drops than corps using traditional equipment, so that can't be it.

I'm curious as to how the "experiment" failed.

Wasn't Spartacus killed by low brass instruments?

Touche.

Although, technically he was killed by some bando's miming a chain gang move.

• Like 1

I wonder if Cadets will ever use rifles or sabres again. To me, part of the issues their guard had was cleaning this new equipment.

• Like 1

The irony in this of course, is that the most recent title won by the Cadets had a theme about the most fundamental of "conflicts" and like it or not, the weapon that "offed" the PR DM in 08 was not a piece of PVC pipe.

Dripping with irony.

Angels and Demons wouldn't have been nearly as impressive if the two sides simply hurled marshmallows at each other.

• Like 3

I disagree with the opinion that they will ditch the uniform for their 80th anniversary show due to the financial WWIII pillow fight the CEO faced with previous changes; he just beginning to get the financial donations up again.

Funny thing though, in all GH's pep-talks, journal writing reviews, and philosophies...he is always talking about the internal war... of emotions and consequences.

Fixed that for you...

Actually, as drum corps evolves and changes (not necessarily arguing for the better, but it is constantly evolving), it makes sense that every aspect of the visual package is analyzed. There have been many WGI shows where having rifles made no sense -- really made no sense, whether it was due to the show's theme and/ or the show's historical period/ place. I know there have been glaring examples of this in the past. Yes, the rifle could be seen as a guard object unto itself, devoid of its associations as a weapon, and this is what most audience members have done with shows where rifles made no sense -- just ignored the obvious and sometimes comical anachronism and enjoyed the show anyway. But why not take a look at whether it makes sense to have rifles/ sabres considering a show's theme? Drum corps & WGI have become more and more distanced from their military roots over the years. Some would argue too much so, but I for one would not want to go back to the "good old days" of required color units, and strict M&M guidelines that basically required military style marching, etc.

Also, if drum corps is to appeal more to a world-wide audience and grow, doing what the Cadets are doing -- using equipment that can be manipulated similar to rifle/ sabres without being/ appearing as rifles/ sabres might not be a bad thing at all. Many people outside of drum corps from other parts of the world that do not have a gun culture like we do here would be quite perplexed, even turned off, by seeing rifles and sabres used (celebrated) in a drum corps show. That's not being PC, that's just reality. The US gun culture is actually quite an anomaly when compared to the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Serious poll though, did anyone actually notice during Cadets show that they weren't spinning the standard rifles and sabres? Did you really from 30 rows up in the stands? Or do some people just a metaphorical axe to grind against the Cadets? I know I couldn't tell the difference, their "bolt" thing looks pretty similar to a rifle from a distance, some with their new sabre thing. Looked the exact same from the stands and on my TV for the webcasts.

I read in the spring that Cadets were not going to spin rifles & sabers and were instead spinning alternative implements, and I COMPLETELY forgot about it & failed to notice until I saw a pic on Facebook of a close-up on a guard member w/the alternative thing. Then I saw the Semifinals stream and Finals VOD and forgot again until this thread.