I KNEW this was coming.

Um.... they're blanks. It is a fully functioning weapon, but they do not fire live bullets at games. That would be absolutely ridiculous, since every time a bullet gets shot up, it has to come down somewhere, and I doubt the people of Morgantown want bullets raining down on them at football games, given how often WVU scores. And I know it's fully functioning because their mascot got in trouble for taking it hunting a year or two ago, and shot either a deer or bear with it, I forget.

world.

Jeez, I never said the Moutaineers Student Mascot is firing off real live " bullets ". I said " Real rounds ". Its fake ammunition, but it gives off the real sound of the bang in the round when he fires it off after loading it with a black colored lookalike gunpowder. Back in the 90's one round got stuck in the chamber on the WVU Student Mascot, backfired on him when he fired off his round, and he was slightly injured in the round backfire mishap. You are correct in that it is a fully functional firearm...... and yes, the many universities that are firing off ammo with their fully functional howitzer canons at football games arn't using real live ammo here either... otherwise they'd be blowing up faculty, students, and buildings, etc nearby to smithereens. Some things I just thought were understood, you know ?

The newest WVU Mascot last December was reprimanded by the school for taking the school owned and University issued Musket on a personal bear hunting trip.

Edited by BRASSO

I started on an 8’ flag pole 1968, present arms, no spinning. I tried rifle in I&E; the sound was mesmerizing spin after spin. The winter of 71-72 I was captain and explored the sabre as an extension of me. I’m 5’2” and many of our guard were shorter than me. Summer of 72, we cut the poles down, added door knobs at the end and sewed flags from rainbow coloured lining material. We were free to spin!

Alberta All Girls carried rifles from 1970-1973. They performed at the 1972 Summer Olympics. A decision was made to only carry flags at the 1974 World Cup Soccer Championships. Stanley Knaub showed us the beauty of the winter guard rifle in 1976-1977 at rehearsals. We only carried flags until 1979 when our drum corps was no more but winter guard continued. We tried sticks, canes and hand made wooden musical notes.

scan0009-a.jpg

In 1988 I said goodbye to 20 years in summer and winter guard, after which I spun a baseball bat (off balance and could be deemed a weapon), a golf club (putters are ok), brooms (watch out for the ceiling tiles), forget about mops (there is no balance whatsoever) and hockey sticks (flat blades are better than warped blades). I stopped spinning 10 years ago ‘cause I couldn’t find a household or sport item that was balanced for spinning!

An old guard girl posted a post. Well I’ll be :smile:

• Like 3

Who are YOU to tell ME what content belongs on DCP?!?!?

POPCORN, get your POPCORN right here :doh:

• Like 1

The REAL question is why are you getting so bent out of shape over toy rifles and sabres?!?!?!?!

D@mn it's NOT that serious dude.

I'm pretty sure that was satire on his part. We do have a "sarcasm alert" emoticon available, but we could use a "satire alert" one as well.

I'm pretty sure that was satire on his part. We do have a "sarcasm alert" emoticon available, but we could use a "satire alert" one as well.

:thumbup::shutup::worthy::ph34r::devil:

I like Michael Boo

Something like this ?

Jeez, I never said the Moutaineers Student Mascot is firing off real live " bullets ". I said " Real rounds ". Its fake ammunition, but it gives off the real sound of the bang in the round when he fires it off after loading it with a black colored lookalike gunpowder. Back in the 90's one round got stuck in the chamber on the WVU Student Mascot, backfired on him when he fired off his round, and he was slightly injured in the round backfire mishap. You are correct in that it is a fully functional firearm...... and yes, the many universities that are firing off ammo with their fully functional howitzer canons at football games arn't using real live ammo here either... otherwise they'd be blowing up faculty, students, and buildings, etc nearby to smithereens. Some things I just thought were understood, you know ?

The newest WVU Mascot last December was reprimanded by the school for taking the school owned and University issued Musket on a personal bear hunting trip.

Your use of the term "real rounds" was what led to the confusion. Real rounds means live ammo to most people, so blanks would have been a more appropriate term.

I thought it was a bear hunting trip that got him in trouble. Then again, if I was dressing up as a Mountaineer every week for football games, I'd go out hunting with the costume and gun too

• Like 1

What are the chances of any school official in West Virginia demanding that the Moutaineers Mascot stop using a REAL Musket at football games, loading it with REAL gunpowder and firing the REAL round into the air several times during all the home football games ? A tradition at this school for close to a century ? With never a complaint from anyone ?

It was meant as a joke..hence the :tongue:/>

:thumbup:/> :shutup:/> :worthy:/> :ph34r:/> :devil:/>

I like Michael Boo

Something like this ?

I dunno...that's the same thing I use as a diversionary tactic when I'm trying to cover up something.

The Cadets are selling off their 2013 stuff. No biggie...if you have $789.00, you can buy a tower! ($650.00 for one actually used in shows---I would find this more valuable, but...)

They are also selling guard equipment: the Loop, the Hook, the Bolt. Here's the clincher: "Gone are the implements of war such as the sabre and rifle..."

"Implements of war?" Are you kidding me?

Beneath, they offer an ad selling horns: "Play what the Cadets play." Say somebody buys a tuba and uses it to whack somebody. How could the organization LIVE with itself? (We non-PC, NRA-worshiping, Ted Nugent obeyists always say, "Tubas don't kill people; people kill people.")

good grief... that might have been attempt at a little humor for all we know

take a deep breath... there are many more things to worry about in drum corps land then the cadets selling used equipment