I KNEW this was coming.

Sadly, there have been instances where school rules have prohibited the use of rifles by the band/guard. It's a stupid problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be a real one.

To clarify - were these rules banning firearms, or did they extend to the symbolic rifle-shaped objects used by most corps and bands over the past few decades?

Most high school guards I've seen use the white plastic ones. Look nothing like a real weapon. I understand banning imitation stuff, but when its for something like this and its a crucial part of the activity (even though the hornline always makes fun of guard thumbup.gif)...

Oh man, are some of us getting to be totally devoid now of imagination ?

I loved the Troopers show this season. The Music was wonderful, the Theme ( " Magnificent 7 ") was in keeping with this Corps historical roots. But tell us honestly now,... did the Troopers Guard uniforms " fit the theme " of the " Magnificent 7 " theme ? Really ? If you said " yes ", then I don't know if you saw the movie " Magnificent 7 ", but if you did, its hard to believe that the Guard and its uniforms of the Troopers this summer fit " with the theme of the show ". But guess what ? Its ok. We learn to utilize our imaginations and we learn to take artistic license, just as the Show Designers certainly do when they design these shows. There are LOTS Of stuff out on the high school field in Drum Corps summer performance that don't particularly fit the theme as well as it might, or could. Imitation toy rifles are no impediment to the enjoyment of Drum Corps shows ( havn't been for half a century anyway ) unless someone now is a bit jaded.

You could use the same argument and imagine that the alternative implements were rifles and sabres. If the Cadets think rifles and sabres look too much like things that are used to kill people and eschew them, it doesn't apparently affect the enjoyment of the activity.

Sadly, there have been instances where school rules have prohibited the use of rifles by the band/guard. It's a stupid problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be a real one.

To clarify - were these rules banning firearms, or did they extend to the symbolic rifle-shaped objects used by most corps and bands over the past few decades?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe they didn't have a problem with the color guard carrying actual firearms around. If they did, I bet the school already have some kind of rule for that.

If you mean simulations of a real firearm; that would be a tough one, if only because one argument might be that a member could sneak a real one in that way. I'm sure most schools these days ban realistic simulations of firearms anyway, for that reason. I mean, admins aren't going to put themselves in the position of checking a weapon to see if it's just a plastic replica, or the actual plastic weapon, if you see what I mean. But it's an interesting question.

I started on an 8' flag pole 1968, present arms, no spinning. I tried rifle in I&E; the sound was mesmerizing spin after spin. The winter of 71-72 I was captain and explored the sabre as an extension of me. I'm 5'2" and many of our guard were shorter than me. Summer of 72, we cut the poles down, added door knobs at the end and sewed flags from rainbow coloured lining material. We were free to spin!

Alberta All Girls carried rifles from 1970-1973. They performed at the 1972 Summer Olympics. A decision was made to only carry flags at the 1974 World Cup Soccer Championships. Stanley Knaub showed us the beauty of the winter guard rifle in 1976-1977 at rehearsals. We only carried flags until 1979 when our drum corps was no more but winter guard continued. We tried sticks, canes and hand made wooden musical notes.

scan0009-a.jpg

In 1988 I said goodbye to 20 years in summer and winter guard, after which I spun a baseball bat (off balance and could be deemed a weapon), a golf club (putters are ok), brooms (watch out for the ceiling tiles), forget about mops (there is no balance whatsoever) and hockey sticks (flat blades are better than warped blades). I stopped spinning 10 years ago 'cause I couldn't find a household or sport item that was balanced for spinning!

An old guard girl posted a post. Well I'll be smile.gif

This is such a great story, and important in this thread IMO because it illustrates the importance of the history of these rifles in this activity. The rifle has (I think) generally been the advanced piece of guard equipment, so there's perhaps a whole history of people "making it to the rifle line." Is that right? Add to that a certain macho heft of the thing, and, of course, the military connotations add a macho dimension as well. At that time in drum corps the boys played musical instruments, but the girls carried the guns! tongue.gif

Just curious; and actually serious: How many actual 'wars', as in 'real wars', not pretend wars of performance acting, but 'real wars' have been fought using DCI equipment? How many people have actually been killed by someone shooting someone else with a DCI rifle or murdered using a DCI sabre? Please post the number and we shall see if this 'claim of war implements' is overly PC or not.

Straw man.

You are countering the fanciful argument that rifles should not be used by color guards because they might shoot people with them. Nobody made that argument.

(I didn't -1 you, but somebody did. It was not an offensive question, so no reason for folks to be so liberal (he he) with those.)

"Do you think GH will next propose to remove "execution" from DCI scoring sheets?"

Sorry folks the idea of "Execution" left 30 years ago. Only the captions remain.

Also I guess we can also cross out an updated version of Garfield's old "No More War" show.

Scott Smith

Edited by doctortelco

Rifles don't kill corps. Bad judging sheets do.:music:/>

I find this topic funny and disturbing at the same time. At the same time let's protect the youth.

1) No more fast tempos--someone could fall

2)No marching on a wet field.

3)Drum sticks need to be banned they are a choking hazard..and an eye hazard as well

4)All instruments that weight over 15 pounds must be placed in the pit so we don't have back injuries

5) Elevated stands and stairs of any kind must have railings

6) Drum major platforms must have wheel chair lifts or ramps.

I am sure I left a few things out.

Scott Smith

• Like 1

people will stop at NOTHING to criticize the Cadets :tongue:/>

Isn't this entire discussion so 2001 when Cadets were spinning those comma thing in Juxtaperformance?

• Like 1