I KNEW this was coming.

Stating opinions as fact. Certainly feels good and makes you feel better I guess...

Noone on this thread has claimed a " fact ", when its all " opinion " being expressed here. You have no " facts" either. I don't particularly care how you feel. You should not concern yourself with how I feel after a posting either. I want to know what people think , and in return I really only care of what they think about what I posted, and only if they are so inclined to tell me in reply what they think.

Edited by BRASSO

Thats neither your call, nor mine however. What one determines they need for their personal enjoyment in a Drum Corps and in a Drum Corps show performance is entirely up to them,.. not to you, me, or anyone else for that matter.

Objectively, would you say the switch affected fan response? I would say not.

• Like 2

its 2013 as far as guard is concerned IMO spin whatever the heck you want ...who cares if its an original piece of equipment....create effect....if it offends a group ...dont use the traditional...if it doesnt then by all means use it,...in todays world I dont think theres a right or wrong

Hell, you watch some guards, you could call them weapons of mass destruction

• Like 1

I think you are trying to connect two unconnected thoughts here however.

There is nothing " silly " about a real firearm, with real live ammunition. Nobody here has made that claim, so don't be confused that people here on this thread are claiming that a firearm is not serious. But this is entirely different than the foolishness we are discussing here now of wooden toy rifles in Drum Corps thats never been a problem with anyone for over 80 years. Real weapons and ammunition are serious business. What Bands and Drum Corps use for Guard equipment in Corps show performances is not serious business... no matter if its wooden toy rifles, twirling batons, long pliable poles, imitation candy canes, etc or anything else for that matter.

If the activity moves to twirling batons (as the Cadets featured a few years back), we'll have come full circle as an activity.

There was a time when spinning/twirling rifles and sabres, whether real or imitation, was considered novel, and by some disrespectful, by others dangerous.

As a geezer, I remember the uproar for doing anything other than the manual of arms or "posting. The Legion and VFW almost had heart attacks on the spot. And then the Troopers dared to take the auxiliary flags out of the holster and do some manuevers while the Medford Golden Grenadiers actually held the flags horizontally over their heads. Horrors!

How far we have come, or have we? Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

• Like 2

Objectively, would you say the switch affected fan response? I would say not.

Probably not. But we probably should not get sidetracked here from what the OP's thread discusion revolves around... and its not about what a Corps used in Guard in performance this season ( this was never an issue, as I sense it anyway).

Hell, you watch some guards, you could call them weapons of mass destruction

YES>>>for sure.... what I think doesnt really matter does it...what some community may think of ANYTHING resembling a weapon makes for another story......and this has come up and I imagine will continue in the future. I could say its silly, I could say it barley resembles a weapon, I could say how dumb, I could defend what I'm used to in the activity......but that doesnt mean its going to go away.

Edited by GUARDLING

isnt he entitled to his views..positive..negative or otherwise? during the off season.

Why are you asking this question ? With the question for me, are you thinking that people here on DCP do not believe that he is entitled to such ?

Why are you asking this question ? With the question for me, are you thinking that people here on DCP do not believe that he is entitled to such ?

absolutely!!!!!!!!!! especially when it differes from anypne elses opinions..but thats something else..i think I just fell into the hop stuff.....done !...But as far as the topic......its not going away..thats for sure..maybe here for a while BUT I have no doubt it WILL come back

Edited by GUARDLING

In my experience over the past thirty plus years, hard core drum corps fans have done far worse to make the activity seem foolish and silly to outsiders than anything George Hopkins has done.

Thats a pretty strong indictment in my view on " hard Corps Drum Corps fans", seen-it-all.

Would you like to state some examples of things that " hard Corps Drum Corps fans " have done over the years that has been witnessed by outsiders that in your assessement these outsiders have found to be " foolish and silly " on the part of these Hard Corps Drum Corps Fans ?

Examples ?... please.

Edited by BRASSO