I KNEW this was coming.

Given that the cold war started like 50 years ago and numerous countries now have nuclear capability and missiles can be launched at the press of a button, maybe we should be more concerned about eliminating buttons from dci.

haha!... good observation... arn't we already on our way with the banning of many of the buttons on Corps uniforms ( lol!)

But also my last post did point out possibibly it's more with the way society is today and YEA affiliations...or Hop just being Hop..who knows....doesnt matter I guess........what ever a corps wants to use should be fine.

to quote a great comedian YES!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

Nah, nobody here is getting " riled " up over such foolishness commentary added to the Cadets sell off of some of their Guard equipment. Most of us are used to this nonsense preachiness by GH, and how silly he can easily apppear to outsiders. Yes he is a lightening rod for controversy. This is not new from him, and nobody here is really " freaked out " on him anymore. Some people just need to chill. The Cadets stepped in it with their silliness and people here are just commenting on the foolishness, thats all. No more, no less. This story will be gone before long... and GH and everybhody else will move on, and then in time we'll move back to something else he does or says to embarrass himself, and we'll comment on that again too. Thats what people do on Drum Corps message boards. We discuss what is said and done by people that are involved in the Drum Corps scene.

All insults, all the time. 100% argument free.

Most of us are used to this nonsense preachiness by GH.

Most of who? What population are you claiming to represent here? (that see it as nonsense.)

and how silly he can easily apppear to outsiders.

I don't see anything silly about this ad content. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I must be silly.

But this is entirely different than the foolishness we are discussing here now of wooden toy rifles in Drum Corps thats never been a problem with anyone for over 80 years.

Thank you. The rifle line was elite. They were in the front, sabres were with the honour guard, flags were connecting elbows with horn lines or back field back in the day. In the early days boys had rifles in drum corps and spinning was at a minimum. In later years when girls spun rifle, they wanted less weight to spin more. We took off the steel and left the strap to spin to the beat of the drums. In the early 1980's we'd often see guards with boys and girls except for all girl drum corps winter guards. The 1972 Olympics was the deciding factor to not carry rifles in our corps.

What happened at the 1972 Olympics, Brasso?

I believe you just made up the phrase "never been a problem with anyone for over 80 years" even though you had no idea what you were talking about. How could you possibly have evidence of such an absurd claim. The fact that the one person giving first hand historical experience on this thread had already in effect disproved you should give you pause. Maybe?

• Like 5

What happened at the 1972 Olympics, Brasso?

Armed Palestinian (PLO) terrorists, loaded up with weaponry and explosives, (including grenades), infiltrated the 1972 Munich Summer Olympic sleeping quarters, took hostage and then later massacred unarmed Israeli Athletes and Coaches ( and 1 German police officer as well ) at the Summer Olympics there in 1972. What does this Munich massacre by armed Arab terrorists on Olympic Athletes and Coaches in 1972 have to do with 2013 DCI Summer Drum Corps competition ? Whats your point here regarding an event that took place in Munich Germany over 40 years ago ? 98% of Drum Corps in 1973 did not stop using toy wooden rifles to spin and toss in their show performances because of the massacre of civilians by armed terrorists at the 1972 Olympic games. If I was wrong to state above that " nobody was concerned ", I will, in the spirit of accuracy here, acknowledge that there were perhaps 2% of Corps that opted to go with candy canes or some such, instead of wooden toy rifles in Corps in 1973. But please believe me that wooden toy rifle useage in Drum & Bugle Corps was no more of a concern than the DCI winning 2008 Corps using a spear to simulate the killing of an opponent in their 2008 winning show performance that electrified the crowd. Was there perhaps a handful of others disturbed by this use of an " implement of war " in a Corps show in 2008 ? ? Sure, perhaps somewhere, these few overwrought people are out there. But most consider them silly, and perhaps a bit jaded, to be disturbed about it. Some people need to get a grip. Its summer music camp. Its music and marching with twirly things of some sort. Its not to be taken all that seriously, unless someone is a bit jaded these days and wants to suck the air completely out of a show performance for themselves because someone is tossing what some might consider " an implement of war" in the show. Its silly. It just is. And any Corps Director that is overwrought with the use of what they consider now an " an implement of war " in DCI corps ( that they've had in his Corps for 3 decades under his personal directorship, and 50 years more before that ) is equally acting ridiculous and himself invites a chuckle with such sheer foolishness. There use to be a phrase in baseball regarding baseball player Manny Ramirez. He was a bit of an odd duck off the field. But a successful player on it. People would chuckle at his off the field schtick and shrug their shoulders and say " well.. thats just Manny, being Manny ". Same thing with George Hopkins. He's a bit of an odd duck too off the field. He, like Ramirez, is also successful on the field. Similar to " Manny being Manny ", this is just one more case of " George Being George " off the field. Nobody should take this off the field stuff from GH any more seriously than baseball fans would take the off the field silly stuff of Manny Ramirez.

Edited by BRASSO

No worries. Packing a drum corps rifle on a bus within the USA is different than packing for a plane trip across the Atlantic.

As much as I love rifle lines, logistics prevailed. I was in awe watching SCV 2013 and their tribute to the rifle line :smile:

Armed Palestinian (PLO) terrorists, loaded up with weaponry and explosives, (including grenades), infiltrated the 1972 Munich Summer Olympic sleeping quarters, took hostage and then later massacred unarmed Israeli Athletes and Coaches ( and 1 German police officer as well ) at the Summer Olympics there in 1972. What does this Munich massacre by armed Arab terrorists on Olymic Athletes and Coaches in 1972 have to do with 2013 DCI Summer Drum Corps competition ? Whats your point here regarding an event that took place in Munich Germany over 40 years ago ? 98% of Drum Corps in 1973 did not stop using toy wooden rifles to spin and toss in their show performances because of the massacre of civilians by armed terrorists at the 1972 Olympic games. If I was wrong to state above that " nobody was concerned ", I will, in the spirit of accuracy here, acknowledge that there were perhaps 2% of Corps that opted to go with candy canes or some such, instead of wooden toy rifles in Corps in 1973. But please believe me that wooden toy rife useage in Drum & Bugle Corps was no more of a concern than a 2008 winning Corps using a spear to simulate the killing of an opponent in their 2008 winning show performance that electrified the crowd. Was there perhaps a handful of others disturbed by this use of an " implement of war " in a Corps show in 2008 ? ? Sure, perhaps somewhere, these few overwrought people are out there. But most consider them silly to be disturbed about it. Some people need to get a grip. Its summer music camp. Its music and marching with twirly things of some sort. Its not to be taken all that seriously, unless someone is a bit jaded these days and wants to suck the air completely out of a show performance for themselves because someone is tossing and spinning a wooden toy imitation rifle. Its silly. It just is. And any Corps Director that is overwrought with the use of what they consider now an " an implement of war " in DCI corps ( that they've had in his Corps for decades under his directorship ) is equally acting ridiculous and himself invites a chuckle with such sheer foolishness.

I'm going to be blunt...

Dude, you need to stop viewing this like Political, Anti-gun statement. Even if Hopkins blatantly said" I'm not using rifles because I am anti-gun" (which he hasn't) it does not effect the activity, your life, or anything else. You hate it only because of the implied political leanings and not because of the actual act. If a pro-gun corps director decided to not use rifles or sabers for artistic reason is it any different? If a pro-gun director decided to call them "implements of war" would you be angry? What's frustrating me with you is that you only care about this, and you are only calling it foolish because, as you admitted, is because of the implied context of a director who may lean a certain way politically. IT doesn't matter! For you this all about George's politics and not actually about teh words used or the aesthetic decision to not use implements of war... And that's annoying.

• Like 6

I'm going to be blunt...

Dude, you need to stop viewing this like Political, Anti-gun statement. Even if Hopkins blatantly said" I'm not using rifles because I am anti-gun" (which he hasn't) it does not effect the activity, your life, or anything else. You hate it only because of the implied political leanings and not because of the actual act. If a pro-gun corps director decided to not use rifles or sabers for artistic reason is it any different? If a pro-gun director decided to call them "implements of war" would you be angry? What's frustrating me with you is that you only care about this, and you are only calling it foolish because, as you admitted, is because of the implied context of a director who may lean a certain way politically. IT doesn't matter! For you this all about George's politics and not actually about teh words used or the aesthetic decision to not use implements of war... And that's annoying.

Here's the deal: If you intend to respond to my posts, please respond to what I said, not what you THINK I said, or what you think I believe in another context that is unrelated to this topic we are discussing here now. This is not a political thread topic. I do not intend to turn it into one despite your attempt now.

Please keep in mind that if the Cadets public announcement had simply said " we are offering our show performance rifles for Sale. Please contact us at the office if you are interested ", then there is no commentary here as there was no commentary given in the offer for sale. However, when the Cadets added the commentary description " implement of War ", it naturally invites a commentary on THEIR initial commentary. See how this works ? This is a fan message board that disccusses what Corps SAID. Its not all that complicated.

Edited by BRASSO

Here's the deal: IF you intend to respond to my posts, please respond to what I said, not what you THINK I said, or what you think I believe in another context that is unrealted to this topic we are discussing here now. This is not a political thread topic. I do not intend to turn it into one.

Please keep in mind that if the Cadets public announcement had simply said " we are offering our show performance rifles for Sale. Please contact us at the office if you are interested ", then there is no commentary here as there was no commentary given in the offer for sale. However, when the Cadets added the commentary description " implement of War ", it naturally invites a commentary on THEIR initial commentary. See how this works ? This is a fan message board that disccusses what Corps SAID. Its not all that complicated.

And yet it's obviously a lot more than word choice for you.... It's painfully obvious, and that is in a response to what you wrote.

• Like 3

And yet it's obviously a lot more than word choice for you.... It's painfully obvious, and that is in a response to what you wrote.

I really have no idea what you are talking about now.