I KNEW this was coming.

It's okay that Hop is down on the weapons of mass destruction. He needs to bring out in his guard what he does best - taxi cab doors !

• Like 2

I think we have just moved into the political realm with this comment, and thats perhaps a bit unfortunate. For my part, firearm protection for schools is a decision best left up to the local parents, and school officials in their communities. If, for example, you mandate that inner city schools that have had armed security in their schools for decades must now become disarmed, I'm pretty sure they'd be a popular uprising in these schools as few of these parents ( many of whom are minorities ) would agree to then send their children to schools that would then have their children completely vulnerable and more susceptible to potential serious injury or death by the bad people. As an outsider, I don't believe that its in my realm to force this decision on these schools Parents and officials. I would never send my child to a school that once had armed security protection for children and parents and has then made the decision to disarm that private security patrol at the school. My first obligation as a Parent is to provide safety to my child. These are dangerous times we now live in. Disarming armed security patrols in inner city schools would allow these schools then to become just like the shooting galleries of death right outside the schools front steps. That would be irresponsible to allow that to occur, imo

no..you just took it there by not just making a statement but going at it way more than needed. I wrote several things as it relates specifically to the issue and topic and about drum corps but like when others pointed out how and what you said..this gets ignored...no biggie..really..I'll continue to teach I suppose with whatever is deemed leagal in the guard world..which IMO should be anything. You wanted to make a statement and then give explanation but when it was pointed out and highlighted you dont explain the silliness,rediculous, etc etc of 1 mans opinion......like I said no biggie, you are certainly entitled and your opinion should be respected ,if not understood.

I think we have just moved into the political realm with this comment, and thats perhaps a bit unfortunate. For my part, firearm protection for schools is a decision best left up to the local parents, and school officials in their communities. If, for example, you mandate that inner city schools that have had armed security in their schools for decades must now become disarmed, I'm pretty sure they'd be a popular uprising in these schools as few of these parents ( many of whom are minorities ) would agree to then send their children to schools that would then have their children completely vulnerable and more susceptible to potential serious injury or death by the bad people. As an outsider, I don't believe that its in my realm to force this decision on these schools Parents and officials. I would never send my child to a school that once had armed security protection for children and parents and has then made the decision to disarm that private security patrol at the school. My first obligation as a Parent is to provide safety to my child. These are dangerous times we now live in. Disarming armed security patrols in inner city schools would allow these schools then to become just like the shooting galleries of death right outside the schools front steps. That would be irresponsible to allow that to occur, imo

...I certainly didn't intend for my comments to be regarded as "political" but, in retrospect, can see how that interpretation could occur. So, just to make my point clearer, I'm seeing a big-picture change socially (social as in "...can't we all just get along"...which, I suppose, is just another way of blending our politics with our society...one factor being quite polar at times, the other a mix-master of how we live with one-another...like, how we are politically bleeds into how we are socially for better or worse...) and if the term "PC" fits so we can communicate better, so be it. My position is only an observation born of being involved with the activity on virtually all levels through the years, but now much closer to the high school base. I just think conditions are a-changin' and it's only a matter of time before some things go the way of the Dodo. Peace!

...I certainly didn't intend for my comments to be regarded as "political" but, in retrospect, can see how that interpretation could occur. So, just to make my point clearer, I'm seeing a big-picture change socially (social as in "...can't we all just get along"...which, I suppose, is just another way of blending our politics with our society...one factor being quite polar at times, the other a mix-master of how we live with one-another...like, how we are politically bleeds into how we are socially for better or worse...) and if the term "PC" fits so we can communicate better, so be it. My position is only an observation born of being involved with the activity on virtually all levels through the years, but now much closer to the high school base. I just think conditions are a-changin' and it's only a matter of time before some things go the way of the Dodo. Peace!

Charlie......I took your comments as political but how its effecting the drum corps community..I would think it is fine..or should be...after all we in this activity are affected by more than hight of plumes..uniform changes..what brass we use , what we are spinning , what 1 director has to say or a corps spending habits.

It's okay that Hop is down on the weapons of mass destruction. He needs to bring out in his guard what he does best - taxi cab doors !

Taxi cabs around some airports are weapons of mass destruction, and best avoided if driving to and from airports and you want top change lanes with them. :tongue:

I just think conditions are a-changin' and it's only a matter of time before some things go the way of the Dodo. Peace!

Peace!

This is why this thread is silly:

1. No one (ok, maybe a couple thousand people) has ever heard of drum corps

2. Of those few people who know what drum corps is, about the last thing they are concerned about is that the guard spins simulated rifles.

3. Therefore this is a totally fabricated "controversy."

4. Who cares what the guard spins? The question is, can they throw it up in the air and catch it in sync?

5. Recalling the horror of the final minutes of the 2002 Cadets show (one, two, ready, release....... followed by several rifle drops front and center), maybe it's best that Cadets move away from that auxiliary piece. :music:

• Like 1

The new equipment had more curve to them. This while allowing to do a couple of cool things with them limited their vocabulary compared to the more standard rifles and sabers. This also made them much harder to clean. It took the cadets "weapons" line a long time to clean those things up and I'm not sure they completely succeeded. I'm not against trying new things but its going to take time to develop and I don't think these were good replacements.

Yeah, that's what I always thought the problem was with alternates; heft and balance. With the straight edge of the rifle you can catch and immediately toss again without worrying as much about the exact part of it your hand is on.

Then again, since the curve of the alternate will force your hand to a different angle depending on how you caught it, maybe you get more information through your hand with the alternate?

I don't know. I am only a pawn in the game of life.

Edit: Aw... Mongo straight.

Edited by Pete Freedman

It seems unlikely that the most ideally throwable, catchable and aesthetically impactful piece of equipment of similar weight and size, if you were designing it from the outset, would turn out to look exactly like a rifle anyway, so maybe if merely those objectives are sought it will eventually be a non-issue.