Crossmen Visual Design

In drum corps, isn't it all about the chemistry between the design team that makes it work. That's what I've heard.

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1

In drum corps, isn't all about the chemistry between the design team that makes it work. That's what I've heard.

Yeah definitely. I have no idea if Gaines wants to get back into the activity... I was half joking when I mentioned him earlier. I do think however that if Bones wants to take the next step, now wouldn't be a bad time to spend. You're right tho, ideally someone involved in the design process is better than a hired gun just for drill. Of course, that's just my outsider's 2 cents. I haveno idea what the internal affairs of the Crossmen are like and I trust their admin to make the right choice for the corps. I'm REALLY excited to see Bones in new uniforms! I'm really hoping they are white.

Yeah definitely. I have no idea if Gaines wants to get back into the activity... I was half joking when I mentioned him earlier. I do think however that if Bones wants to take the next step, now wouldn't be a bad time to spend. You're right tho, ideally someone involved in the design process is better than a hired gun just for drill. Of course, that's just my outsider's 2 cents. I haveno idea what the internal affairs of the Crossmen are like and I trust their admin to make the right choice for the corps. I'm REALLY excited to see Bones in new uniforms! I'm really hoping they are white.

I was just thinking about that the other day. I remember hearing a long time ago that they'll be getting new unis after this season, but then I doubted that because it hasn't been mentioned. It's their 40th anniversary right?

I was just thinking about that the other day. I remember hearing a long time ago that they'll be getting new unis after this season, but then I doubted that because it hasn't been mentioned. It's their 40th anniversary right?

Yup, 40 years... Over the hill? While there has not been an official announcement about Bones getting new unis, there has been many fundraising attempts to "pay for new uniforms in 2014." In an interview last year, Fred Morrison (corps director) mentioned his preference for black and white uniforms because it creates a good palette to work with. I'm hoping they end up on the lighter side, grey pants would work too.

Isn't the visual designer also the program coordinator?

Isn't he the same guy that wrote the 2012 drill that finished in 11th in GE Visual, Performance and Analysis?

Yes to both. So? To be honest, their visual design wasn't much to write home about in 2012 either. Why shouldn't they strive to find someone BETTER? Especially if the quality of said design is not improving.

Can someone remind me how many times the Crossmen made finals when Marc Sylvester wrote the drill (2007-2009)?

Leon May (2010) ?

That's what I thought......

I'm pretty sure Sylvester only wrote their drill in 2007. And that was essentially a corps filled with rookies because of the move to TX.

And if you're so impressed with finalist-caliber captions, the 2008 drill (Pemberton? I think?) was good enough for 12th in GE Visual and 12th in overall visual, and he got canned after the next year because the show stunk. Leon? That 2010 corps just wasn't very good to begin with, and what does any of it matter if the show stinks? Personally speaking, I thought the Crossmen show was a dud this year. I may be the minority on that one, but that's fine. It didn't resonate with me at all.

Edited by seen-it-all

Clearly the Crossmen visual design was the corps achilles heal in 2013 and more than likely keep them out of finals. Not sure they ever went beyond the 35 yard line in any given set.

I think that it is debatable if the corps had an "achilles heel" caption this year.

Their ranking in GE-Visual over the season really fluctuated. Here it was for major shows:

Show - GE Visual Rank - Judges

Minneapolis - 12th - Carlson/Niebauer

San Antonio - 14th - Czapinski/Morris

Atlanta - 14th - Kelly/Harper

Allentown - 12th - Kemp/Turner

Prelims - 12th - Kelly/Niebauer

Semis - 14th - Miller/Morris

In Indianapolis, it literally changed overnight. Had the corps come in 12th in GE Visual, it would have only improved their score by 0.3. Not enough even to move up a position.

If you want to identify a caption that was consistently low, it was Percussion.

This is a subjective topic. I have my own opinions on the visual package, but I hope the corps management doesn't take the view that improving one thing would make all the difference. That's dangerous thinking.

Edited by barigirl78

This is a subjective topic. I have my own opinions on the visual package, but I hope the corps management doesn't take the view that improving one thing would make all the difference. That's dangerous thinking.

Exactly.

I thought they just had a fundamentally bad, restrictive show concept this year.

Besides, there's not enough evidence to say Caption X was their Achilles Heel. They finished 14th overall in music and visual (both performance and GE).