Crossmen Visual Design

One of the more fascinating things is 1995-1999. 10th, 8th, 6th, 7th, and 10th. Go back and look at the staff and director who was really the program coordinator. It says it all! And scary at the same time.

Jim Coates knows what's up.

Better add one brass caption head to the shopping list. Jason Buckingham has just left the position. (not fired)

Yeah just saw that. Too bad, the hornline has made good progress the last three years.

Yeah just saw that. Too bad, the hornline has made good progress the last three years.

It helps when the music is good. Naffier writes great charts.

It helps when the music is good. Naffier writes great charts.

Agree. Always like Matt Krempanski's Crossmen sound - very much like Chuck's too. Getting that "sound" right is unbelievably important.

There are college level courses offered in drill design. At the University of Kentucky back in the 80's you were allowed to take it twice for credit. The first year I took it; Gordon Henderson, who is now the band director at UCLA taught it. Gordon still writes drill and and music for multiple drum corps. A class like that will give you lots of practice without messing up some band or corps season with your learning curve. It's not as easy as it looks. There was nothing like putting 20+ hours into a drill chart just to see Gordon with his big black magic marker totally destroy your masterpiece in front of the class (don't worry their drill was next.).

The next time I took the class J. Steven Moore taught it (He wrote the book Play it from the Heart). Steve and another professor (Dr. Allen Goodwin)wrote a computer drill design program that had a lot of success during that era. I don't know if they eventually sold the software to another company or not. Just like any computer program-garbage in is garbage out. There are rules and guidelines you need to know to make drill work. Steve was very good at outlining the basics needed to make a drill design work. Just buying a computer program isn't enough.

If I was going to go into drill design I would start with a college level course by someone who knows drill design. You will need practice and critique.

Scott Smith

Edited by doctortelco