2013 Attendance numbers are out

My reasoning for it not going anywhere for a long, long time (even after 2018):

Apparently the Tom Blair team has basically said that LOS, with the roof closed, and the black curtain, is essentially the most ideal setup to video and produce wonderful quality video (and it is) that they can possibly, much more ideal than going outside and dealing with the weather conditions.

That, coupled with the (mostly) centralized location to the bulk of competitive units, and the closeness to the DCI office...

...mean it's not likely to leave LOS for a long, long time.

I'm not convinced that your opinion is true. Conversations with directors that I've had suggest even they are tiring of LOS. They love the convenience and predictability, but recognize that there's a significant portion of the fan base that has been to Indy and won't go back, or who view Indy as too far for too little to travel to.

IMO, the next contract is very much up in the air...

But I wonder about the Friday night thing. Over 10,000 were at Semis this year. Those tickets, I'd bet, average about $45 or $50. What will be done to make up that half-million dollars in revenue?

I mean, you're not giving every seat away free, just some.

If you give free Friday tix to people who purchased Thursday and Saturday, then you're already (probably) drumming up additional ticket sales to Saturday (the $75 tickets). There's some revenue.

If you're getting ##### in seats for $5, and putting on a quality production, you may scare some of those people into purchasing Saturday tix to the big show. There's some revenue.

One thing is for sure: DCI proved this year that they are figuring out how to start to juice the PR machine. The whole Saturday 'thing' in Indianapolis - with the Friends breakfast, the middle school honor band, the DrumLine Battle and SoundSport... plus the assault on local news coverage and other performances in the city - was really REALLY cool.

I hope they keep it up, and even expand. I really think making the Friday show an early start/early finish would be cool, because it would promote community and socialization within the community, and even afford some more opportunities like this in the city.

I'm not convinced that your opinion is true. Conversations with directors that I've had suggest even they are tiring of LOS. They love the convenience and predictability, but recognize that there's a significant portion of the fan base that has been to Indy and won't go back, or who view Indy as too far for too little to travel to.

It could be a little bit of both, and probably is. I just know the production team LOVES it.

It will remain at LOS for a very long time. I'd say another 10 year extension.

• Like 2

Did you forget the "IMO" part, George?

And, if not, again, where will the market close next Tuesday. Surely that's easier for you to see than 5 years from now, eh?

tongue.gif/>

Edited by garfield

I mean, you're not giving every seat away free, just some.

If you give free Friday tix to people who purchased Thursday and Saturday, then you're already (probably) drumming up additional ticket sales to Saturday (the $75 tickets). There's some revenue.

If you're getting ##### in seats for $5, and putting on a quality production, you may scare some of those people into purchasing Saturday tix to the big show. There's some revenue.

One thing is for sure: DCI proved this year that they are figuring out how to start to juice the PR machine. The whole Saturday 'thing' in Indianapolis - with the Friends breakfast, the middle school honor band, the DrumLine Battle and SoundSport... plus the assault on local news coverage and other performances in the city - was really REALLY cool.

I hope they keep it up, and even expand. I really think making the Friday show an early start/early finish would be cool, because it would promote community and socialization within the community, and even afford some more opportunities like this in the city.

EDIT: Wait. How again are you drumming up new sales by giving away tix to those who already bought Thursday and Saturday tickets? :blink:/>

So, you're anticipating that people who would not, otherwise, pay ANYTHING to see a band show and will only go if it's free, will be so impressed from one viewing that they will buy a $75 seat for finals? Well, I suppose it's possible. Yes, there's some revenue. Even one of those is some revenue. But we're talking about making up hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I had a friend from Indy sit with us on finals night. His wife and son sat under the north jumbotron past the end zone, in the $15 "family" seats. They kept texting back and forth during the show that she couldn't hear anything, and the view was bad, and she regretted bringing their 5-year old, and she left after BlueStars.

Seems hard for me to believe that the experience in those cheap seats would be enough to convince someone to plunk down full price for the big show.

Edited by garfield

I really hope you are wrong.

Edited by Cadets98

I don't think end zone and backfield seats should count for much, if at all, if our goal is to provide an enjoyable experience for the audience that exhibits and chronicles drum corps in the best light possible.

Edit: Was talking about the Montreal figures. Sorry, didn't see all the posts that were there in between.

Edited by skevinp