2013 Attendance numbers are out

Even though the numbers aren't enormous, it's a good increase. Hopefully the activity continues to grow in the future as well.

Whenever someone advocates something else, without realizing it, they're telling the Open Class directors they know what's best for their corps more than the directors do themselves.

And I thought telling DCI's directors what they were doing wrong is what DCP was for... :lookaround:

That number keeps growing (and dramatically so, it seems) every time I see it thrown about.

From 2003, there's an article on dci.org that claims 40,000 in 1981.

However, according to DrumCorpsWorld in April 2007, "Attendance numbers at the 1981 DCI Finals were estimated at 36,000 by DCI, but anybody involved with Les Chatelaines swears still today that there actually were 40,000 people at Olympic Stadium that night."

No kidding! Especially considering that Olympic Stadium only has a capacity of 66,000 or so. Must have been a TON of folks in the end zones and on the back sidelines... :rolleyes:

These photos from 1981 finals indicate that yes, the end zones were basically filled, and the back sideline had plenty of people as well:

10_15_2010_phantom_81.jpg

11_22_2010_troopers_81.jpg

1981%20Finals%20Brass-regi%20jones.jpg

• Like 3

However, according to DrumCorpsWorld in April 2007, "Attendance numbers at the 1981 DCI Finals were estimated at 36,000 by DCI, but anybody involved with Les Chatelaines swears still today that there actually were 40,000 people at Olympic Stadium that night."

That's probably true, but that also means the 'true' Finals attendance for Indy (as in... NOT paid... corps members, free tickets, etc) was probably close to 23,000-24,000 as well. Finals night this year was an awesomely large crowd.

I love how people like to throw out that Montreal number like it was some sort of NORM! It was an aberration

Not only was the Montreal attendance number not the norm (definitely the 'high-water mark' as far as DCI attendance), it's not even necessarily 100% accurate. I was told by DCI officials several years ago that up until the mid-90's DCI announced attendance was at best a guesstimate, and at worst flat-out made up. There were years where someone literally looked out the press box window and said something to the effect of, "looks like 30k to me" and that was the announced attendance.

So while we all want to grab onto that 40,000+ or whatever the Montreal number was, and while the Montreal attendance was undeniably pretty full as videos show, it is not 100% accurate. For all we know it might be mostly made up! Either way, it shouldn't necessarily be regarded as 100% truth

• Like 1

And I thought telling DCI's directors what they were doing wrong is what DCP was for... :lookaround:/>

Well...there's that, too.

I am glad historical numbers were presented in this thread. I would say it is disappointing that they weren't able to generate more momentum out of having the same Finals location for several years in a row. Given that people could have been planning travel so far in advance, the fact that it wasn't bringing more people out should be a concern (not something to pat anybody on the back about). Having to subsidize local sales, despite having years to market your annual events to the locals, is troubling.

Finals is, without question, a successful event.

How to fix Prelims? Semis? Make them more successfuller?

Not have 3 shows in 3 days? Much as I believe more performances during championship week make it easier for corps to justify the costs, I can't help but think corps fatigue sets in. Especially since all of the corps are already competing head to head every weekend for 4 weeks at that point.

Mike