Happy #1 Day

Happy Anniversary to the Blue Devils

August 21, 1976 First Championship - Franklin Field Philadelphia

Channel One Suite

Legend of the One Eyed Sailor

Chase the Clouds Away

(Cassette recording from the stands at Stillwater, MN 2 weeks before finals)

I love this recording made from the stands - 1976 Stillwater Drum Beauty. This is night #2 of Drum Beauty...I think the horns cut loose a little more than on the first night. Be sure to use ear/headphones to enjoy the clarity, emotion, and intensity....and a few errors, but hey..it is organic!!

Since I only had audio, I had to quickly add a slide show. Hope you like snares, cuz that's all I could grab quickly. Anyway - I enjoy it mostly because I never got a chance to stand in front of the horn arc, but this is how I always imagined it sounded.

I love this recording made from the stands - 1976 Stillwater Drum Beauty. This is night #2 of Drum Beauty...I think the horns cut loose a little more than on the first night. Be sure to use ear/headphones to enjoy the clarity, emotion, and intensity....and a few errors, but hey..it is organic!!

I was there both nights in Stillwater. They literally spent about 4 days there in '76, and I was there for nearly all of it. That's when I first met a soprano player by the name of Dave Gibbs.

Who would have guessed he would be their director decades later? Met the great Jerry Seawright for the first time that week too, along with Wayne Downey.

Watching them do their run throughs all those nights it was easy to see drum corps history being made as I watched. They were polishing that show to the "nth" degree, and they never lost a show the rest of the year.

I was fortunate to get 2 tickets in the PR section near the 50. Started dating an older girl in the color guard then so she went with me. I was 16 she was 18. It was after that that girls started to want to date me. Was it because I saw an amazing drum corps show by the Blue Devils? Or am I really a stud? LOL My wife says I am still a stud!

Happy Anniversary to the Blue Devils

August 21, 1976 First Championship - Franklin Field Philadelphia

Channel One Suite

Legend of the One Eyed Sailor

Chase the Clouds Away

Since I only had audio, I had to quickly add a slide show. Hope you like snares, cuz that's all I could grab quickly. Anyway - I enjoy it mostly because I never got a chance to stand in front of the horn arc, but this is how I always imagined it sounded.

• Like 1

I attend the shows in Allentown every year - have been a huge BD fan since.....way back. In 2001, DCI East was moved to Philly because the stadium was being rebuilt.

I went to the BD clinic in Philly that afternoon in 2001. I was standing on the field chatting with Scott Johnson. I quickly reminded him that we were competing on that field 25 years before, for BD's first DCI title. 25 years......time had flown by. He was a snare for BD - I played tenor for 27th. 27th also beat BD at Mile High Stadium in Denver that year and took top drums at that show.

Scott is still with BD......time flies.

1976 was the year I marched spare flag with Oakland Crusaders, taught/toured with Dutch Boy Cadets, did my first judge exam/trial July 18, judged C , D or E corps at our finals and heard Bonnie's solo lots in 1976 :smile: Kudos BD!