What did you not catch upon first viewing?

Upon watching Carolina Crown's Finals show on FanNetwork, I noticed for the first time that the insides of the wide vertical sides of their hats feature a variety of mathematical equations. This would be quite difficult to see from a distance, anyhow.

What have you missed the first time you've seen a corps (or even the first several times) that you've then caught later in the season or on the DCI FanNetwork or DCI DVDs? This could be something visual or a musical reference slipped into the horn or drum book. It might be a subtle guard moment or something in the drill or on the flags.

• Like 1

It took me about 3 viewings of the same FN (Denver) show of Crown's 3-D pyramid for it to finally pop out at me as 3-D.

Blew me away, and I still claim it's one of the 2 or 3 best visuals I've ever seen on the field.

(Yes, Plan9, I'm a honk this year.)

• Like 2

It took me about 3 viewings of the same FN (Denver) show of Crown's 3-D pyramid for it to finally pop out at me as 3-D.

Blew me away, and I still claim it's one of the 2 or 3 best visuals I've ever seen on the field.

(Yes, Plan9, I'm a honk this year.)

I think you're talking of the rotating prism, a nod to the fact that prisms refract light and Einstein's paper of 1905—referred to in dialogue during the show—was about his theory of light refraction.

• Like 1

I think you're talking of the rotating prism, a nod to the fact that prisms refract light and Einstein's paper of 1905—referred to in dialogue during the show—was about his theory of light refraction.

OK, OK, jeesh. Prism, then.

Had they actually refracted light through that design it would have been a prism, but I won't quibble. Still the most amazing 3-D effect I've seen on the field..evah!

(Blue Coats. Ha!)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

In Phantom Regiment's 2008 show I was really glad Blair included that very quick shot of the 2 Drum Majors arguing backfield during the big battle. That small amount of time seeing one pull a dagger on the other added so much to the context of what was going on dramatically. I doubt I would've caught it during the actual show (and during the Toledo show I don't remember seeing it).

In terms of stuff I actually missed the first time: This may just be a conspiracy theory, but the ending to Blue Rondo a'la Turk in Crossmen 2003 might just be a delightful little parody of Star 1990. Specifically the very end to Star's opener that year. I chuckle a little bit every time I hear that part in the show.

• Like 2

At the end of Friday night in Allentown, I watched the Cadets show from the sidelines.

It was amazing to see the intricate quick turns made by many brass players --- heading behind a tower, then spinning around to march backwards -- or frontwards -- out the other side.

• Like 2

Geometrically speaking, the shape they made was a tetrahedron which is a prismatoid, specifically a pyramid, but not a prism. Prisms have to have two parallel and identical flat sides.

:devil:

• Like 5