What did you not catch upon first viewing?

If you want to see the Blue Devils dirty check out the box from Allentown (the Semis recording on FN doesn't show this drill AT ALL or I would have used that instead).

35z61.gif

This looks reasonably clean to me, except for one guy in the near corner at the start one row from the left and about 3 rows in, but he gets back in line pretty quick. Also there's a big gap at the end in the far right side. The rest of the dirt is mostly due to differences in height, because those plumes are so bright. But focusing on the black/lower body it's not bad IMO.

Of course, when you isolate these moves like this it's easier to spot the dirt.

This type of move is my favorite overall; rotations that either expand or contract. I just love that effect.

For cleanliness comparison:

35yei.gif

35xa5.gif

Well, it's always apples and oranges. BD's drill looks clean, but they are doing just one difficult thing; keeping those lines straight while rotating. Cadets are using more skills here, but each one is less perfect.

I notice how the Cadets bit has no obvious center, no focus. It's all happening together. It may make it harder for a judge to spot errors. With the Crown clip, and BD's here, it's easier to spot mistakes. Yes?

So, um, how would you rank these three clips in viz content/achievement (or whatever)?

(I wonder if a thread composed of these types of clips with people debating viz scores would be popular?)

This looks reasonably clean to me, except for one guy in the near corner at the start one row from the left and about 3 rows in, but he gets back in line pretty quick. Also there's a big gap at the end in the far right side. The rest of the dirt is mostly due to differences in height, because those plumes are so bright. But focusing on the black/lower body it's not bad IMO.

I assume the gap on the right is a hole... but as for the rest, check the lineup when the square first starts to expand, and then at the end of the cycle, check the topmost two rows of the square which are all just twerked a little to the left.

Of course, when you isolate these moves like this it's easier to spot the dirt.

Oh sure. That's part of the fun, though. :tongue: Plus if they weren't a little bit dirty they would clearly not be trying hard enough. :thumbup:

This type of move is my favorite overall; rotations that either expand or contract. I just love that effect.

Definitely. That is my favorite visual from BD's show this year. That plus the minute or so lead up to it.

I notice how the Cadets bit has no obvious center, no focus. It's all happening together. It may make it harder for a judge to spot errors. With the Crown clip, and BD's here, it's easier to spot mistakes. Yes?

So, um, how would you rank these three clips in viz content/achievement (or whatever)?

Worth mentioning in relation to is that Cadets are playing relatively difficult stuff very loud during their move, and Crown's and BD's are done with horns down. So I rate Cadets the most difficult of the three clips, BUT Crown and BD both had intricate pinwheel-type stuff similar to Cadets in difficulty (maybe not as quick of steps) going on elsewhere in their shows that they did while playing so... like you said, apples to oranges.

Edited by skywhopper

Man, this is kinda why I hate coming here. We pretty much all agree that (Crown's) move was amazing. And yet, because we mention that it was also pretty dirty except for Semis, some of you feel that you have to bag on other corps to prove your point.

In case you didn't get the memo... CROWN WON DCI. As they should have. Don't bag on other corps to make yours seem better. It's, honestly, beneath Crown.

The spinning fronts that BD did look pretty ###### clean to me (except maybe the drumline, but that may be because of the differences in the drums themselves.) Not to mention that they are condensing intervals throughout the moves. Cadets move was awesome too.

Don't be that guy. Don't bag on other corps as a means to prop yours up. Crown's show really doesn't need it this year anyway.

• Like 3

If you know anyone who has trouble seeing the 3D in the pyramid, tell them that bottom wide triangle is the base and to watch it rotate. That makes the whole thing leap out of the ground for me.

Thanks! Not only did that help me to finally see it for the first time, it also made it easier to see the dirt!

• Like 1

I think I figured out where the seeming "dirt" on side 1 of Crown's prism is coming from. The beginning vertical line (down the 50) swings over to be the side 1 prism edge, and that gap they have to close is the gap that accommodated the horizontal line at the beginning of the move. So I suspect it's not the performers' fault, at least not entirely. Boggles my mind having to try and plan out that whole move so no one collides...

Next year they could have half the corps in red and half in blue, then write a drill that's in 3D with special glasses!

You could make the part in front look further away, as if the whole field were upside down. Or form a sphere that suddenly expands and seems to leap toward the viewer (just by having the red/blue pairs separate slightly.)

But would the GE viz judge be willing to wear the glasses? smile.gif

Edited by Pete Freedman