Minicorps RIP?

I was saddened today to learn that there is a total of four competing units for next Friday's Minicorps competition at DCA I&E. It was not all that long ago that we were talking about limits to the numbers of competing units. A couple of years there my group went on at nearly 11:00pm. It was a long night of entertainment. Here on DCP there was talk of who would compete. There was lively debate the 35 and over rule, and how Minicorps filled that gap. MCA was getting off the ground. The crowd was big and rowdy, and fun. And the quality of the groups was getting better and better. Where did it all go wrong? What happened to all that passion and energy?

There undoubtably be those who will say; "DCA doesn't make a dime from I&E and Minicorps". True, but at the rate it was growing there was some potential for monetizing some aspect of it. It was a the very least a great kickoff to the weekend, full of reunions, consumption of beverages, and talk. But it was, or is still is rather, a great place to start. An incubator for a group wanting to get involved in DCA but small enough and affordable enough to get started. It could also be a place for those who could not make the 35 member limit to compete in a venue that better fitted their size. Maybe I am nieve, but all of this still seems to be true.

Being based so far away from the DCA fanbase I don't hear the scuttle butt and buzz to know exactly what people feel about the Mini competition. Is it the venue in Annapolis? Is it the economy? Has the level of competition exceeded what groups think they can accomplish? Or is the lack of competition? Or entertainment? Is there something that DCA could do to make this thing viable again? Do they care?

A couple of years ago a group of individuals from here in the Midwest came to the Mini competition and loved the vibe, the crowd, the groups, the concept. They happened to work for DCI and are now organizing a simlar concept in the SoundSport and Drumline Battle initiatives. It is only in the fledgling days, but they are exctited by the interest from a large number of alumni groups, former competing groups, and even current Minicorps. It is early days to be sure, but they are planning on providing performance opportunities for Minicorps and Mini like groups next year, and a potential season ending competition at their championships. And it is All-Age. Is DCI the future home for Minicorps? Even for us old folks?

My group and I have very much enjoyed perfoming in the Mini competition over the years. We have worked hard to push the concept and find it's boundries and potential. A good deal of folks questioned what what 18 or 20 brass can do beyond stand and play. We have endevoured to find out. Most of all we have enjoyed DCA. The connection with the history of the activity. The chance to perform in front of folks with decades of experience and knowledge. We put a good deal of money and time into our DCA trip because it was fun. The highlight of year. But I fear for future of Minicorps at DCA. I sure wish we could figure out how to get back to the heady days of 15 or so competing groups and the buzz and excitement. I still believe in the potential of the Minicorps concept. Even a limited sized unit in a properly sized venue can be entertaining, exciting, even thought provoking. And it is a great place to start a corps. What can we do to save this thing?

• Like 1

It may turn out to be... which would be sad. You'll hate this and please realize that it's simply my opinion, but I think that Star United's dominance plays a part in the decline. The early days of mini-corps were marked by groups which knew they had a shot with a reasonable amount of rehearsal.

I think if you talk to folks from various mini-corps they'll say I'm full of ####, and I may indeed be, but as good as your team has been, it has taken a little something out of the fight to be the best.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing you can do. You're supposed to work and get to be the best. And stay that way. I also don't think it's as simple as what I just wrote - I'm sure there are other factors, but a simple fact is that for a while mini-corps were springing up out of the woodwork, and now not so much.

I'm happy to be completely incorrect about this. I'm sure I will be told that I am, and that's fine.

It's just what I think.

• Like 2

Wow. That would indeed be the fewest ever, according to CorpsReps:

2013 -- 4

2012 -- 7

2011 -- 7

2010 -- 10

2009 -- 13

2008 -- 11

2007 -- 18

2006 -- 11

2005 -- 12

2004 -- 9

2003 -- 9

2002 -- 10

2001 -- 8

2000 -- 8

1999 -- 7

1998 -- 7

1997 -- 5

1996 -- 5

1995 -- 6

1994 -- 7

1993 -- 7

Part of the issue could be that the Minis have to pay copyright fees IIRC. That could add up to real money for only one performance. Not easy to get people together and rehearse for one gig. Many things could cause burnout or groups to take a year off.

I Think there was a mincorps competition in 1992, Erie and Sun. Were there more than those 2? I know the first year was as much a proof of concept issue as anything.

Ray, I understand what you are trying to say. Star United's stranglehold at the top could 'suck the oxygen' out of the competitive environment for some. But I hope it is not a major factor. There are no easy answers there. I think the performance level of all units have risen a good deal in recent years. We have to up the ante every season and have been lucky enough to stay on top. I would hope that the rising performance levels would inspire more then deter. But I have been known to be wrong.

I like to think that there is more to Minicorps the winning. For most it is more or less a one shot deal. I am not going to BS anybody and say I don't want to win, but it really is not what drives my group forward. And I sure hope that is true for everyone else. It is all about the crowd and beating your own goals and expectations. If anything the one prize most worth winning has been the exhibition slot in finals. The chance to play for that crowd is a huge incentive. Sadly that is something we recently learned is also not to be this year. The Commandant's Own performance is bumping the Minicorps Champs performance. Takes a bit of the wind from the sails.

I am sure music rights are an issue for some. Not much can be done about that though. It is the world we live in. I had always hoped that more Minicorps competition and performance opportunities would ultimately develop to make all the rights and practice worth while. It is a chicken and egg conundrum.

Edited by mchromik
  • Like 1

Part of the issue could be that the Minis have to pay copyright fees IIRC. That could add up to real money for only one performance. Not easy to get people together and rehearse for one gig. Many things could cause burnout or groups to take a year off.

I Think there was a mincorps competition in 1992, Erie and Sun. Were there more than those 2? I know the first year was as much a proof of concept issue as anything.

1992 was mixed ensemble,...........which caused the birth of "mini corps" in 1993.

this is just one fans humble opinion. Saw last years show. Best I've seen by far. the Top several Corps were incredible. But what we have here, especially in light of the size increase, is just another venue for smaller A class Corps.

There is already only a tiny following for A corps in an activity that also has a limited, diminishing following. DCA. frankly, does not need another smaller version of itself, when it can barely support the real thing. We had, in the original format, a unique form of entertainment. One where musicians could Swagger onto the the stage and put their best music forward without all the resources required of their full. size counterparts. The top minicorps last year should have been competing on Saturday morning.

Although the Top few Corps have raised the bar and made the overall show better by a huge factor, what they have done, with the escalation of complexity and addition of drill , is drive many groups from participation. It's just a whole lot of cost and effort for one, or even a few shows. One might just as well throw a pit together and compete in Class A.

The selfish arguing and beating on each other , which went on a few years ago, didn't help either. For that matter, the intense competitiveness in DCA has too often shown an ugly side.

Save minicorps? Reduce the size of the stage to eliminate drill , do away with the CD/DVD, and bring the numbers back down so we can get back to Watching alumni and sub groups play thier hearts out with a more reasonable investment in time and money.

Edited by princessL
  • Like 2

Some of the last post reminded me of what I was thinking about Minis over the last year or so. Seems we used to have a range of really good Minis to what looked like a bunch of newbies/local people/Alumnis getting together to put on a performance. For lack of a better term the equivilant of a "garage band" for the latter groups. FYI: I enjoyed all of it, especially having a rank of shows and talent level..... Seems like the "lesser" groups don't show up as much and we are left with a couple of the "non lesser" groups. Plus some of the groups that I would rank in the upper end don't show up anymore. Just sounds like what happened with DCI/DCA is happening with the Minis.

Why... no idea....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From DCA's website:

Mini Corps

The BIG news is that the Mini Corps size will be increased to up to 25 participants from 21 participants. Another change for the Mini Corps is that the registration is opening immediately!!! Part of the reason for this change is the new process which is being introduced for the synch/mechanical/digital rights which needs to be completed and entered into a new computerized process by May 31, 2013. Therefore, competing groups will need to accelerate the timetable for rights to arrange and perform to meet this new deadline.

Additionally, along with the increase in the Mini Corps size comes an increase in the fee to participate to $125 up from the previous $100. This fee is still economical because it will be less than the $10 per person charge for the I&E portion of the evening.

These costs do add up for a "one shot" deal ... totally forgot about the increase to 25 players ... the sum of all these things may have caused the drop in numbers this year ... maybe it will rise again next year in Rochester ... anyone know the status of the Mini Corps Associates (MCA) ... their website comes up as a Japanese business ...

:-)