Minicorps RIP?

Only 4 Mini Corps Friday night? I think I will stay home and listen to some old Boston Crusaders records on my record player. Shout out to The Captain, Strutta and Ray. Been a long time boyz hope to see you all in Plymouth somehow.

Joe - been out in Dallas TX for year and a half for (airline) work.

Going to make my first DCA in years next week.

Looking forward to it - getting too used to looking backwards.

You playing much?

Say hi...

Why not have two classes based on past performance? Class A: Any mini corps who has placed in the top 5 in the last five years, Class B: Any new or returning mini corps not that doesn't meet requirement for Class A.

Nah...

Nah...one class only...if you want to do drill knowing that it doesn't count on your score, go ahead. I hope that this conversation trickles down to the people in charge and reminds the judges that drill doesn't count in the final score.

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 2

I suspect I&E participation this year to drop off and more no shows than usual.

I'm playin. I'm sure a few at Heartliner signed up for I and E as well. Maybe the numbers go down but there will be a few peeps who haven't performed before will be there taking part anyway. :satisfied:

Any BHOF members should jump in...challenge

It may turn out to be... which would be sad. You'll hate this and please realize that it's simply my opinion, but I think that Star United's dominance plays a part in the decline. The early days of mini-corps were marked by groups which knew they had a shot with a reasonable amount of rehearsal.

Ray I totally agree with your statement and there is no need to back down from it in no disrespect to any group, Star in this case. I have not competed in the Mini Corps Championship but have been there for most shows as a fan. Star's dominance combined with a tough economy and music license fees all play a role in the decline IMHO A case in point, I do not want to see a competition when I know who the winner is nor do I want to know how a movie ends before I see it. Even though the member age of Star has always been much younger then the other Mini corps members they should still have the right to compete BUT where I find fault is HOW the corps are judged. To have a level playing field, much more weight should be but on GE if you will ( entertainment of the show ) How many times have we seen and heard a crowd go nuts for a great performance only to see that corps lose because the other made no discernible errors and might be slightly technically better? Once again....judging criteria not the judges personally has put this where it is now. What weight is placed how heavily on what caption is the crux of closing the gap and making a competition more fun and competitive.

To me, I really enjoyed watching Mass Brass, Golden Eagles, Ghost Riders and the others really vie for a win for years and the crowd was the winner. Of course every competitor wants to win but remember the most important thing when you are playing before an audience. Did you entertain them and give them a good feeling? Did you make them want to come back for more. Change the judging criteria and the ship will right itself somewhat. I love to hear a really well executed lick but what I really like is a show that I am entertained by. Take the judging out and use an audience applause meter. Tongue in cheek.

In my best yoda voice Donny there is no suck only BLOW

We are coming full at 25 members strong! I don't think we will suck too bad.

Any BHOF members should jump in...challenge

Don't think I haven't thought of it - my trombone has been kicking my ### all summer.

For Annapolis I've been too busy editing my "thank you" speech... it's now down to the same length as the Gettysburg Address...

Like this part: "I'd like to thank the Academy, although I have no #*@^@ing idea what that show was about..."

I have this fantasy of going into a show with my own little family micro-minicorps... Ray Jr on trumpet; Dan on Trumpet; myself on trombone; my grandson Connor who is playing a really strong trombone at 13; and my son Kevin on tuba; daughter Nancy on synth and percussion. Tammy could be a one girl guard. I keep waiting for 9 year old Meghan to play french horn.

Maybe one day soon we'll see the group out there, but unfortunately not this Annapolis.

• Like 3

I've been doing MiniCorps with the Erie Thuderbirds since its inception in 1993. We were very fortunate, over the years, to come home with 6 Minicorps' titles. Star United has raised the bar. Is that a bad thing? Absolutly Not !! Like anything else I think this is something cyclical. It happens. Good points were made by STRUUTA and others...age of performers...burn-out ...cost. As most Minicorps performers tend to be older (or used to be) I don't think cost is a factor as most are pretty well set in their livilyhood. The competitive spirit is still alive and well in all of us and really our motivation to participate in this venue. I have no doubt that this is just a "Speed Bump" and confident it will return. Possibly better than before. (just sayin...)

• Like 1

Don't think I haven't thought of it - my trombone has been kicking my ### all summer.

For Annapolis I've been too busy editing my "thank you" speech... it's now down to the same length as the Gettysburg Address...

Like this part: "I'd like to thank the Academy, although I have no #*@^@ing idea what that show was about..."

I have this fantasy of going into a show with my own little family micro-minicorps... Ray Jr on trumpet; Dan on Trumpet; myself on trombone; my grandson Connor who is playing a really strong trombone at 13; and my son Kevin on tuba; daughter Nancy on synth and percussion. Tammy could be a one girl guard. I keep waiting for 9 year old Meghan to play french horn.

Maybe one day soon we'll see the group out there, but unfortunately not this Annapolis.

Ray ... gear it up for the Bridgeport BHOF I&E next year ... I can just imagine myself introducing you ... " and now, Ladies and Gentlemen, whether you want them or not ... The Fel ... er ... The Fallons ..."

Andy "will MC for :beer: " Lisko