Minicorps RIP?

I think we will be back on point next year. I have already heard that Minne Brass will be back. Mass Brass stayed in the same hotel, and while they didn't come right out and say it, I think they will be back. I would love to see Sine Wave get over their squabbles and put a corps back out.

I have nothing to base this one but history and instinct, but I believe that a) the total number of entries will be up next year, perhaps by as much as 100% (back into the 8 area) and b) the quality will maintain at the top, or even improve a smidge, while improving markedly in the rest of finishers.

Now don't hold it against me if a "first time" group has some rough edges. I seem to remember a time when Ghost Riders were just "very good"...

I also think that all of you who entered this year, and everyone that paid attention, may have been just what the mini-corps genre needed for a shot in the arm. I think huge thank yous should go out to the Freelancers for their financial and spiritual (as well as musical) commitment. As this aspect of our activity rebounds you folks may someday look at the success and say "We did that."

Well done to all.

• Like 2

I have nothing to base this one but history and instinct, but I believe that a) the total number of entries will be up next year, perhaps by as much as 100% (back into the 8 area) and b) the quality will maintain at the top, or even improve a smidge, while improving markedly in the rest of finishers.

Now don't hold it against me if a "first time" group has some rough edges. I seem to remember a time when Ghost Riders were just "very good"...

I also think that all of you who entered this year, and everyone that paid attention, may have been just what the mini-corps genre needed for a shot in the arm. I think huge thank yous should go out to the Freelancers for their financial and spiritual (as well as musical) commitment. As this aspect of our activity rebounds you folks may someday look at the success and say "We did that."

Well done to all.

Thank You ! We will be back !!!

Jeff G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well-said, Rich... but I'll disagree with you about Star being "professional musicians".. if that was the point you were making.

From what I understand, there are/have been very few folks in Star United who play, or have played, professionally.

I've heard from several people who think Star's members are mostly alumni of BLAST/Brass Theatre. Very far from the truth.

You speak the truth. A lot of us are actually alumni of other corps or just simply music majors. Personally, I am a music composition major.. ripe age of 22 with no other corps background. Happy to be going on my third full year of being in my star united family, leading the percussion section. Very fortunate that this group has added me to their family!! But yeah.. anywhos.. you are correct. Star is definitely not 100% blast and Star of Indiana alumni anymore. :)

• Like 1

Well done to all.

I also think they'll be a huge jump in the number of mini corps back in Rochester next year. Especially with the switch to Saturday night. I know that's personally going to help with a few of our members being able to finally swing the trip because they have to miss possibly only one workday instead of two or three days as previously needed.

And though we're grateful for the kudos for Freelancers, I'll also throw a HUGE shout out to Impact of Orlando. They did an awesome job with a huge score jump from last year. I know we only had four corps, but it is worth noting our point spread from top to bottom was only just over 8 points. That's outstanding!!

On a personal note, I apologize to the members of Impact for thinking they were MBI in the beginning. :doh: It's those uniforms man. But it was all straightened out later as myself and members of our corps' management were able to talk with members of Impact/Sun Devil's management team. Besides just being great guys, it was obvious that really good things are going on with those corps! Can't wait to see you all next year.

Edited by Cathie Wiener
  • Like 2

Definitely a lot of talk about it.

I know we only had four corps, but it is worth noting our point spread from top to bottom was only just over 8 points. That's outstanding!!

Totally agree, Cathie.

All four mini-corps were on their game, without question.

Honestly, Impact very well might have been the most improved corps, compared to last year, that I saw all weekend this year in Annapolis.

• Like 2

Friday night: Parade in downtown Rochester.

Saturday morning, 10AM: Prelims

6PM: 50th Anniversary celebration (at stadium after Prelims I believe?)

I&E Saturday night as well

Sunday is same alumni and finals schedule.