Halts?

Survey answers from the top twelve members in 2013. Not looking for opinions or arguments. I just want to know who used what in 2013? Please give corps name and halt style.

May not be a hard and fast rule like you're looking for... I remember it depending on the angle you were arriving, the speed you were moving, and the style of the music at that point.

Seems like straight leg corps go toe-first unless told otherwise, while corps that march bent knee go heel first into halts.

I.E-

Toe-First:

Crown

BD

Cadets

Bluecoats

Phantom

Boston

Madison

BK

Spirit

Blue Stars

Heel-First:

SCV

Cavaliers

I seem to remember Bluecoats doing a toe first style with every step. Check em out. It looks like they are jazz walking the whole time.

Yes, Bluecoats used a toe-down technique the last two years. Probably not next year, going by the staff changes.

Most corps march toe down, as mentioned above. I would add Cadets to the heel first camp- I think they change it sometimes within a show.

I seem to remember Bluecoats doing a toe first style with every step. Check em out. It looks like they are jazz walking the whole time.

Yes, since 2012 Bluecoats have gone toe-down the entire time. It is supposed to smooth out the marching, and make it easier to transition between normal marching and jazz-running. The rationale I've heard on it is that is extends the leg farther, allowing it to absorb the shock of marching easier than striking with the heel. At least that's what I've gotten from dancers who spend a lot of time doing things toe-down.

Most corps march toe down, as mentioned above. I would add Cadets to the heel first camp- I think they change it sometimes within a show.

I think Cadets do it based on tempos. Same with their backward technique of either staying on the balls of the feet, or rolling up from the heel, which sometimes looks strange when you see it.

Phantom was pretty exclusively toe-first into halts. I can't recall a single instance we went heel-first into any halts, or anything other than very gradual direction changes at slower tempos.

I think Cadets do it based on tempos. Same with their backward technique of either staying on the balls of the feet, or rolling up from the heel, which sometimes looks strange when you see it.

Yep, toe first above 120 bmp (or maybe 132...dude it's been 7 yrs), pick the heel up on back march under that tempo too...

Edit to explain the rationale of toe ('platform') vs. heel: easier to stop weight moving forward; not an issue @ slow tempo.

For Cadets technique clinic, watch 2005.

I love all these little intricacies of technique, and how they vary between years & corps. Like, the angles of foot placements in box drills, stop n go-s...etc.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1

Yes, since 2012 Bluecoats have gone toe-down the entire time. It is supposed to smooth out the marching, and make it easier to transition between normal marching and jazz-running. The rationale I've heard on it is that is extends the leg farther, allowing it to absorb the shock of marching easier than striking with the heel. At least that's what I've gotten from dancers who spend a lot of time doing things toe-down.

Between the drum corps move towards more and more ballet movement and the running world's stance against heel-strike running, the toe-first-always style doesn't surprise me that someone would try it. I think it also evens out the appearance when you have rotations or changing directions, and if everyone is toe-first whether forward or backward that looks more uniform at the edge of the changeover.

I think toe-first all the time in ballet is mostly a visual thing. They are trying to turn the ballerina's leg into a long, tapering spindle without the ugly foot attached. Plus you get more flexibility for kicks and leaps with your toe pointed. Of course, more modern dance style includes a lot of moves with feet at their natural angle, which ups the difficulty of the kicks and creates a jarring appearance for those used to watching ballet style.