Coolest Drill Moves of 2013

Great post! I honestly don't think any of the drill comes even close to comparing with what the Cavies were doing early 2000s, but still some pretty cool moves.

There were a bunch of cool moves this year, but I think Crown's entire show was visually the most entertaining I saw this year! Agreed with BDStaffAlum about Cavies in the early 2000's, but still some cool things happening more recently.

lQAkNgO.gif

I liked Academy's contra thing

• Like 1

The purpose of the drill is to present the horn line- Drill Writing 101

So many of today's drills fail at that basic premise. It may be a neat formation and is visually pleasing, however if it doesn't present the horn line the drill is a failure. The Crossmen had some neat drill moves this year however the drill was an overall failure when it came to presenting the horn line.

A great example of that was 27th Lancers drill back in 1980. The hottest drill move during that period was figure rotation. The 27th Lancers lead in that involution. Their show was full of rotating drill. However in all of it's artistic glory the horns with the melody ended up in the wrong place. I think that was the difference between 1st and the 2nd place they received at finals. The Blue Devils drill lacked the artistic flash that the 27th Lancers had, but their show presented the horns incredibly well. I would recommend watching both shows on YouTube and comparing those shows and notice the presentation of the horn lines.

All of that being said to really judge the coolest move this season it would be nice to hear the music in context to see if the drill met it's basic purpose.

Scott Smith

• Like 3

Question:

In Crown's pyramid, the center line on the 50 becomes the left hypotenuse and left base of the triangle.

The big gaps between the numbers 1, 2, and 3 appears not to be the result of a difficult pass through but, rather, appears to be too few "dots" to make the line work as the others do.

Could this simply be the result of a great design and not enough MM's in the horn line to pull it off?

Maybe I'm over-thinking it but, when I watch this beauty, I constantly feel like the left line is "too thin". More "dots" would have looked better?

Whoa... pretty cool stuff, Sky !