Coolest Drill Moves of 2013

So I got to fooling around with making animated gifs out of the coolest drill moves from this year, and I decided I'd go all out and do all the finalists (plus Troopers).

I agree with all of these but would add Phantom's "opening of book" set to this list. I didn't think it was cheesy. The big queen thingy was cheesy.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

Thanks for doing that!

I too loved Bluecoats opening parade drill. Old school and cool!

Yes. And the opening of the finale (which sneaks up on you) in which blocks on the two sides merge in this cascade of pivots, leading up to the big toss and reprise of America. What a moment.

I wish I could give the OP multiple green checks for their hard work. Many thanks.

And I'd also like to provide a free idea for Crown's visual staff should they bring back the rotating prism: Have a long white banner approach it as it's rotating, then hit the side as a long, wider banner of the colors of the spectrum shoot out the other side...like the original design for Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album.

Would anyone else "lose it" if that were to occur?

You know ... Maybe they're trying to tell us something ... Could Crown be considering a Dark Side of the Moon show next year?

On corpsreps I couldn't find anyone doing a DSOM show anywhere near the top 12.

Edited by Pete Freedman

You know ... Maybe they're trying to tell us something ... Could Crown be considering a Dark Side of the Moon show next year?

On corpsreps I couldn't find anyone doing a DSOM show anywhere near the top 12.

From the 2013 programs thread, for Carolina Crown:

Music Selections:

• Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass
  • Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss
  • Walking With Heroes by Paul Lovatt-Cooper
  • The Devil's Bridge by Bertrand Moren
  • The Abyss by Alan Silvestri
  • The Light Fantastic by Paul Lovatt-Cooper
  • The Dark Side of the Moon by Paul Lovatt-Cooper
Is this the music they were playing during the "prism" move?

I agree with all of these but would add Phantom's "opening of book" set to this list. I didn't think it was cheesy. The big queen thingy was cheesy.

Yeah the book was awesome. However, the web tool I'm using to make these GIFs only lets you do clips of 10 seconds or less, and I didn't try, but I'm pretty sure the book takes longer than than to reveal itself. Alas. I should probably, like, pay money for a real GIF tool. :tongue:

I believe they're playing the Heroes piece for the closer, but I'm not sure.

Also, wasn't there some issue with Pink Floyd and DCI and rights once upon a time, or am I imagining that? A DSotM show would be fantastic.

Dark Side is really just quoted at the end, right before the ASZ reprise. The chords and mello riffs are from Dark Side. They released a video back in January of them playing it, and it was amazing. I really wish it had been added into the show.

Crown has another neat drill move with the smallest bass drum orbiting one of the rolling bass drums. It's when she is playing the gock block. I think the drill is supposed to be representing an atom with an orbiting electron.