To the Empire Statesmen

As we embark on another DCA Championship week, I just wanted to take the time to say to the entire Empire Statesmen Organization...

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

I am a better person, because I competed against you.

I am a better person, because I learned from you.

I am a better player, because I played against you.

I am a better member of my organization, because I learned from the likes of Vince Bruni, as well as my own corps director James Costello.

There will NEVER be another corps in DCA quite like the Empire Statesmen, and I will miss them terribly for years to come.

Thank you for 30 WONDERFUL years!!

Well said Frank. Couldn't agree more.

So this thread is dedicated to the Empire Statesmen....Here's to you...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, PAST AND PRESENT!!

What Frank said: Competed against ES back in the ICA days and just shook my head at the electric bass player, "Curley Shuffle", Uncle Sam on stilts, the bubble machine to start one show and those flippin' tanks.....

LOL, yeah they knew something I didn't and had the guts to do it.... :worthy:

Big loss...

• Like 1

As we embark on another DCA Championship week, I just wanted to take the time to say to the entire Empire Statesmen Organization...

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

I am a better member of my organization, because I learned from the likes of Vince Bruni, as well as my own corps director James Costello.

There will NEVER be another corps in DCA quite like the Empire Statesmen, and I will miss them terribly for years to come.

So this thread is dedicated to the Empire Statesmen....Here's to you...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, PAST AND PRESENT!!

Well-said, Frank. I totally agree.

Probably will have more to say about this after the season ends... but IMO they have been the most unique, most entertaining drum corps in the entire activity, on a consistent basis, for those 30 years. And the record shows they have put a product with more than enough quality on the field to win five DCA titles and contend for many more.

For the naysayers who have said over the years "that corps is cheesy"... "lightweight"... "not serious enough"... whatever... I say:

We need more corps with their "give the paying customers a show" mindset, not fewer. I'll take a circuit full of Empire Statesmen over a circuit full of oh-so-serious "educational" shows any day.

• Like 2

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

Early in my DCA career, my favorite corps to compete against, and absolutely my favorite to beat was NY Skyliners. Over the years we had success here and there against everyone, but Sky was my favorite.

Every Sherlock Holmes needs a Moriarity, every Batman a Joker, Superman Lex Luthor.

Hawthorne, and for many years you Frank, have benefited from Empire pushing the bar higher and higher.

If we did this activity without competitors it would have run out of steam in about 1947.

Well said Frank!

• Like 1

What Frank said.

Empire, we were bitter rivals for a few years there. Ourlack of love came out visibly at least two times. But I respected the hell out of you, and 1997 is to date my favoite DCA show I never marched.

David and gang, thanks for taking me in in 2001. Up close and personal I got to see Statesmen style, and it showed me as a teacher there's more than one way to do things. Hell, DeFazio even told me I had Statesmen style LOL.

I am hoping like hell everyone in the house this weekend puts all of their competitive loyalties aside and thanks you guys with the biggest ####### ovation in DCA History.

Now I'm going to go watch 2001, get misty and watch "Mr. Sinatra" walk off into the fire extinguisher created fog.

David....we always busted on you for crying at the end of shows, all in good fun. This time, no one will mock you. You're the last of a breed man...a drum major on that box for 30 years, THE face of a corps....only John Mayer remains in the showman category.

The only judge that really matters is the paying public. It's been speaking loud and clear for many years since Vince had the foresight to bring his product to market. You did good, too, David!

• Like 2

Great idea Frank. Yes, the Statesmen will be very missed. Dave was always very supportive of Fusion when we started. I'll never forget doing our very first victory concert as an A corps and Empire did theirs as open and they cheered us on. Our members, who were very new to drum corps that year, were so impressed and touched by their support.

They certainly are going to be missed for so many reasons.

XOXOXO Empire Statesmen!!!

• Like 2