To the Empire Statesmen

In 2008, MBI surprised some people by placing second for the first time in history. The corps we had never to that point defeated was Empire Statesmen. So, who were the first people to run over and congratulate the corps? None other than the Empire Statesmen. I will never forget that as long as I may live. Oh, and I still play the Maynard tribute show as one of my most regular choices. I will miss Empire greatly.

My first up-close experience with the Brunimen was last year, during and after retreat, when I suddenly found our ranks swarmed with cheerful Statesmen. That certainly left an impression, but nothing could have prepared me for Hornell last month, when, after blowing the house down with our hornline, their drumline marched their street beat all the way out to our truck where the percussion was already loading. They jammed for a bit, and then the hornline joined in for Elk's Parade, and we absolutely partied. I will never forget that. The Empire Statesmen embody everything I love about drum corps. I hope their members continue that spirit with other corps. Our activity could only benefit from that.

• Like 1

There will be a large hole in DCA next year and a larger one for the drum and bugle corps activiy.

Sadly, New York State is down to (maybe) 2 corps. My days of marching in the 1970's and going to one of several shows on a Saturday are a memory. Not to long ago you could go to (say) Jamestown, NY and see Brigadiers, Crusaders, Empire, White Sabers, Kingston Grenadiers and Minnesota Brass too. Next year?

Kind of like watching the end for Buffalo's War Memorial Auditorium or the end of Melody Fair in North Tonawanda, NY...... :sad:

There will be a large hole in DCA next year and a larger one for the drum and bugle corps activiy.

Sadly, New York State is down to (maybe) 2 corps. My days of marching in the 1970's and going to one of several shows on a Saturday are a memory. Not to long ago you could go to (say) Jamestown, NY and see Brigadiers, Crusaders, Empire, White Sabers, Kingston Grenadiers and Minnesota Brass too. Next year?

Kind of like watching the end for Buffalo's War Memorial Auditorium or the end of Melody Fair in North Tonawanda, NY...... :sad:/>

Shoot Keith, there was a time in the late 70's when you could go to Aquinas Stadium and watch nothing but local corps; the Greece Cadets, The Rochester Patriots, The Mighty Liberators, The Rochester Crusaders and Phoenix. As it turns out that really was a long time ago...

Mike Covell

Tuba - Ghost Riders

Class act Frank! Thank you for this post. See you in Annapolis!

• Like 1