Drum Corps 2014 - The State of the Activity

I want to thank everyone who read my Drum Corps 2014 article and commented, good or bad. I have never had thousands of people read an article on my blog in one day, much less in two consecutive days and counting.

I don't think the drum corps 2014 article went viral because I'm a good writer - I think I just said what a lot of people are thinking.

• Like 5

I want to thank everyone who read my Drum Corps 2014 article and commented, good or bad. I have never had thousands of people read an article on my blog in one day, much less in two consecutive days and counting.

I don't think the drum corps 2014 article went viral because I'm a good writer - I think I just said what a lot of people are thinking.

Thanks Lee.. as you mentioned, you are not alone in your assessment and observations.

We all want the activity to grow and prosper and to have the performers perform before larger audiences. I'd imagine that there's not much disagreement on this anyway. The dilemna is how do we attain these agreed and shared goals in the future. Thats where there is much discussion, as as one would imagine, perhaps some disagreement on occasion on the pathways forward with the best chance of attaining said goals.

The state of drum corps in 2014? Go to DCI's Facebook page and take a look.

Over the past few days DCI has been promoting dozens of BRAND NEW corps/sounds sport teams and drum lines from all over the world.

Attendance for Big shows has been increasing. And you could argue that more young people are a part of the marching arts now than at any pther point in its history.

I am looking forward to seeing these "dozens of BRAND NEW corps" at quarter-finals next August.

• Like 1

I have a general question for my drum corps forefathers here. Back in the 70's how many "general audience members" had no prior drum corps experience? How many were just going to a show that they saw a flyer about and wanted to do something different that they have never done? Could the possible smaller attendances be because there are less drum corps alumni aging out every year from those corps that folded? Or is it really the show designs driving people away? (General questions with no maliciousness intended)

On another note..... what's your attendance like at yyour local symphony concerts, big band concerts, art galleries, etc? I would bet not as high as years past. I believe its a culture shift our country is going through... and not a good one. People of my generation don't do "cultured" things like that as much as past generations. I personally love it, mostly because of band and drum corps. Not many young people have the want to go out to do these things.... and if they do, they look it up on the internet. Its a shame and will only hurt DCI more in the future than choices of show design IMO.

I think we can leave out whether Hop is good or bad, whether unis are homogenous or not...lets not pick it apart. The bottom line is that shows should be about the fans.....that is if you want the activity to survive and thrive in the future.

The DCI triad: members, fans and the design community.

The members will come to experience the excellence and tradition of corps and to perform. They are young and will come, and they will perform what the staff gives them. The don't get jaded until they are old like most of us.

The fans will come because they love corps. They would come in droves if the shows had broad general appeal. There would be new fans if the show had broad general appeal.

The design community. Let's lump design, judging, admins and activity movers and shakers into one big group. They are responsible for our shows and what we see. I really think they have become self serving clubs to a large extent. The have lost track of what puts butts in seats and they don't care or don't know. They might even think they know better than "Joe Drumcorps", or they don't care about him. It is my personal opinion that they have bored themselves to death with corps and are searching for the next best thing and to push the activity "forward".

The members will come, the design community is entrenched.....so that leaves the fan hanging out to dry.

I have a general question for my drum corps forefathers here. Back in the 70's how many "general audience members" had no prior drum corps experience? How many were just going to a show that they saw a flyer about and wanted to do something different that they have never done? Could the possible smaller attendances be because there are less drum corps alumni aging out every year from those corps that folded? Or is it really the show designs driving people away? (General questions with no maliciousness intended)

On another note..... what's your attendance like at yyour local symphony concerts, big band concerts, art galleries, etc? I would bet not as high as years past. I believe its a culture shift our country is going through... and not a good one. People of my generation don't do "cultured" things like that as much as past generations. I personally love it, mostly because of band and drum corps. Not many young people have the want to go out to do these things.... and if they do, they look it up on the internet. Its a shame and will only hurt DCI more in the future than choices of show design IMO.

IMO...you are spot on..it's a different time serving a different kid and person..Many of my co-alumni from the past ( NOT ALL, FOR SURE ) would like to believe its because the activity is not the same as when they were in. I ,personally dont believe that at all. You will be given all the reasons in the world BUT many just dont want to feel , left out, not revelant or simply "If I didin't do it it cant be as good " Others will show you the drop in statistics but leave out WHY or will just focus on some of the loud voices, many from the past that just plain ole don't like the activity because of ANY change.

NOW mine is also just an opinion BUT I also would like to believe being that I was very much part of the activity BITD but continue to be a factor in todays activty on several levels that possibibly I may have some sort of insight, at least my view on it. I'm not saying I do more, know more or anything like that BUT I'm certainly on the front lines and have been for several decades. Does that mean anything? probably not. I just report I guess what I see , how I see it, who it involves and how it has changed , better or not IMO. I'm not observing from a distance but up close..Very up close. :smile:/>/>/>/>/>

You are also very right about other examples..take Boy Scouts....less than 1/2 the membership they had in the 70s....CYO almost no exsistant...even American Legions and VFSs almost non exsistant..Church and community groups...gone!!! and I dont think design choices had anything to do with them being gone..We tend to think in drum corps we are immune to all of the outside ( real life ) situations...AHHHH dont think so...we are very much affected as well as effected :smile:/>/>

Edited by GUARDLING

Regardless - you are a good writer and I appreciate your work. We've never met but have a couple of friends in common so I decided to download two of your books on my IPad. Very enjoyable work. Your commentary on the state of drums corps is right on the money.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing these "dozens of BRAND NEW corps" at quarter-finals next August.

I hope not. Corps trying to go for Finals their first year is not a recipe for success, unless your name is Star of Indiana. Hopefully they all start out slow doing a couple of shows a year until they're financially sound enough to make it to Finals without folding.

• Like 2

Blue Devils 2009 should put this idea right to bed. LOUD and SITTING STILL for a long period of time... won 1st.

27 seconds....or did you not bother to actually time it and just repeated the same crap from 09? Add in any additional sitting later in the show, and the TOTAL TIME sitting down in the chairs is less than 40 seconds (I do not count standing on them...no different than standing on the field)

27 seconds out of a total performance time of 11:45 (705 seconds) is NOT a long time. That's like saying 05 Cadets talked throughout their entire show when the total vocal time between the Rod Serling quote and the drumspeak was 38 seconds (12 for the Rod Serling, 26 for the drumspeak)

Could the possible smaller attendances be because there are less drum corps alumni aging out every year from those corps that folded?

Perhaps.

Another question is.... what are the numbers the last 20 years or so of the marchers that have aged out in DCI Drum Corps that stay involved in the activity as a fan by attending the shows in the coming years ? We know that former members of te Ballet, Symphony Orchestras, etc tend to stay as fans of these enterprises once they leave at retirement. They go to the shows as fans. We know that a goodly percentage of ( for example ) Bantam Youth Hockey players, Pop Warner football players, and high School baseball players when their youth hockey and youth baseball and youth football days are over continue to go to the Amateur or Pro hockey, baseball, and football games when their playing days are over. So what about the current 23- 43 year olders that marched in DCI ? Are they still going out to the shows now as fans in good to great numbers do you believe ? If you think not, then why do you believe that they arn't, and what do we need to do to get them to support the activity as fans of it ?

Edited by BRASSO

27 seconds....or did you not bother to actually time it and just repeated the same crap from 09? Add in any additional sitting later in the show, and the TOTAL TIME sitting down in the chairs is less than 40 seconds (I do not count standing on them...no different than standing on the field)

27 seconds out of a total performance time of 11:45 (705 seconds) is NOT a long time. That's like saying 05 Cadets talked throughout their entire show when the total vocal time between the Rod Serling quote and the drumspeak was 38 seconds (12 for the Rod Serling, 26 for the drumspeak)

Oh I'm sorry your defensive shield was on... :rolleyes:/>/> because why do you feel the need to apologize for it? ("we sat in chairs but not for "THAT" long...) Be happy your team won by pushing the envelope. No reason to get snippy with me when I didn't say anything negative about it and simply used it in a defense of what can and does get rewarded in DCI (that it's not all non-stop movement).

Edited by charlie1223