OT: Sour Notes at University of Illinois

Well, THIS is pretty pathetic, don't you think?

We don't know his heart so we don't judge his intentions, although his actions were imprudent and should remind the rest of us all to dot our eyes (i) and cross our tees (t's) rather than take any easy way.

To be truthtul, this band has given the activity many, many great people. However, it has had a history of problems in some regards. cf. http://articles.chic...travel-expenses

and http://articles.chic...fighting-illini

Though these articles are dated, it shows not all is well and easy in the marching band world as in the drum corps world. We wish them the best for the future.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

What about it? There are tons of pathetic aspects.

I found this bit curious: "The [Nashville] school district purchased four clarinets from the 1950s for about $5,500 each, police said." :blink:

What I wanna know is was so great about those clarinets? And why would a public school district need fancy antique clarinets? Maybe that's a great price for a bass clarinet or something?

• Like 1

The paragraph about the p-card shows he wasn't in it for the charity. I know the p-card isn't related directly to the instrument sales, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

And here's an idea...go to the university development office and ask them to fundraise from music alumni to pay for the feasibility study. This guy was crooked, no doubt.

Edited by sabrefan62
  • Like 2

Yeah, and Robin Hood's heart was in the right place too, huh?

That seems like an odd comparison. Who cheers for the Sheriff of Nottingham?

What about it? There are tons of pathetic aspects.

I found this bit curious: "The [Nashville] school district purchased four clarinets from the 1950s for about $5,500 each, police said." :blink:/>

What I wanna know is was so great about those clarinets? And why would a public school district need fancy antique clarinets? Maybe that's a great price for a bass clarinet or something?

As I understand it, he sold 4 Paris Buffet Contra Alto clarinets. MSRP on new ones are $20,000+ each. The fact they are from the 1950s does not mean they couldn't be great instruments.

• Like 1

That seems like an odd comparison. Who cheers for the Sheriff of Nottingham?

Rottingham, or Nottingham?

"King illegal forest to pig wild kill in it a is!"

Strange set of events. First, anyone teaching in public school knows you can't do this sort of creative maneuver without heavy-duty consultation with administration. But what caught my eye was his salary -- I didn't know that any university band directors were making 140K+. That's more than every Engineering professor I know.